RAM upgrade on TS-453 Pro

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
giskard
Getting the hang of things

RAM upgrade on TS-453 Pro

Post by giskard »

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before - I did check for similar posts but didn't see any.

I'm planning on upgrading the RAM from the standard 2GB to 8GB, I can purchase a single 8GB module to fill the second slot to give me 10GB RAM but is that advisable? What I'm getting at is, can I installed mixed RAM modules or will I have to replace the 2GB module with the 8GB module?
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Re: RAM upgrade on TS-453 Pro

Post by Ron1963 »

Different module sizes won't work.
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253
giskard

Post by giskard »

Ron1963 wrote:Different module sizes won't work.
Ah okay, so I'll just replace the 2GB with an 8GB.
Thanks.
giskard

Post by giskard »

I see from the TS 453 Pro specs that the maximum RAM is 8GB so I'm planning on getting this kit from Crucial - Can anyone confirm that it's compatible with the TS 453 Pro?

I can also get a single 8GB SODIMM so I'm wondering if that'd be better than 2x 4GB SODIMMs?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

giskard wrote:I see from the TS 453 Pro specs that the maximum RAM is 8GB so I'm planning on getting this kit from Crucial - Can anyone confirm that it's compatible with the TS 453 Pro?
Penalty of similar DRAM update threads on TS-x51/x53 Series - search for the DRAM kit number you considering.
giskard wrote:I can also get a single 8GB SODIMM so I'm wondering if that'd be better than 2x 4GB SODIMMs?
To the best community knowledge, 2 * 8 GB SODIM can be operated in these NAS. QNAP can't "support" more DRAM than Intel officially does for this platform. Lot of added value for just a few Dollars more.
giskard

Post by giskard »

schumaku wrote:
giskard wrote:I see from the TS 453 Pro specs that the maximum RAM is 8GB so I'm planning on getting this kit from Crucial - Can anyone confirm that it's compatible with the TS 453 Pro?
Penalty of similar DRAM update threads on TS-x51/x53 Series - search for the DRAM kit number you considering.
Thanks, I should've thought of that :oops:
schumaku wrote:
giskard wrote:I can also get a single 8GB SODIMM so I'm wondering if that'd be better than 2x 4GB SODIMMs?
To the best community knowledge, 2 * 8 GB SODIM can be operated in these NAS. QNAP can't "support" more DRAM than Intel officially does for this platform. Lot of added value for just a few Dollars more.
Yes, I did read a few threads regarding the max RAM that the QNAPs can handle and that Intel specify 8GB maximum with the Celeron CPU, but from what I see, there's no definitive conclusion as to whether the QNAS can actually use the full 16GB.
giskard

Post by giskard »

In the end I decided to play it safe and replace the 2GB module on my TS 453 with an 8GB one from Crucial - I don't really need 16GB as I don't plan on running VMs on the 453 and I doubt transcoding performance will see much benefit from more then 8GB or RAM. It seems like a great value upgrade for less than £30 excluding delivery, for the record the part number on Crucial's website is CT102464BF160B

I ran the memory diagnostic on the TS 453 which appears to show that the RAM is recognised.
QNAP Mem diag.JPG
Thanks for all your help and info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”