posisble to install deb package?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
frueter
Starting out

posisble to install deb package?

Post by frueter »

Hi all,

I am planning to buy an Eaton UPS but would need my QNAP TS-879 Pro to run their power management software to trigger custom scripts in case of a power failure. They pointed me to this deb package:
http://pqsoftware.eaton.com/explore/eng ... IN&typeOs=

But dpkg isn't installed on the qnap by default, nor is apt-get.
Since this is my main file server I thought I'd ask for advice here before randomly trying things.

Is it possible to install this particular deb packages on the QNAP TS-879 (since it's running Ubuntu I assume it should be)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
frank
LadyBoy
New here

Re: posisble to install deb package?

Post by LadyBoy »

No. Unless you install debian linux on the qnap. Byt i doubt if that is possible.
R1200CL
Starting out

Post by R1200CL »

I have a deb package. How to install this on a Qnap ?
(And access a UI)
pisymbol
Getting the hang of things

Post by pisymbol »

You would have to port it as QPKG. See the developer site for QNAP.
ssybesma
Starting out

Post by ssybesma »

I ran into someone who was saying that before you can create a QPKG that the app has to be installable as the native file (with the *.deb extension) first.
I haven't had any success with that even with Entware, so what you're saying sounds correct at least on the surface.
philippe.mande
Getting the hang of things

Post by philippe.mande »

Hi,

Depends of the package (and the potential interaction with Q.T.S. (i.P. Port, kernel modules require etc.))
The easy way ... is to use a chroot
... you can easily create a chroot based on Debian (stretch) or on Ubuntu up to 18.04 L.T.S.
... in the chroot ... you can mount /dev /dev/pts /proc and /sys (internally or in Q.T.S. via rbind)
... add the repository and install the .deb

At this time the interest is that apt (package manager for .deb) manage also the dependency
... you can immediately try to used the program
... you can have direct update using apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade (or dist-upgrade) without waiting for a new QPKG (for ex.)

A port as a QPKG can be easy (if no specific request exist and if level of basic libraries is not so high (Q.T.S. is (even with an advanced kernel) more near of Ubuntu 14.04 libraries than 16.04 and far of 18.04)
... or very complex.

Advantage of chroot is : you are fully independent of QNAP delivery and you can run on ANY platform (with the corresponding chroot); you can also prepare the complete chroot on any Linux platform including vmware, virtualbox, Qemu with a Linux inside.
... if your application is a server ... no real problem to run it (a fake QPKG (just modified in ONE file) can do the job (but other solution exist (depends of your Q.T.S. knowledge)))
... if your application have a GUI
... ... case it's console ... nothing special
... ... case it's a Web interface ... fake QPKG is the easy way ... just add Web options lines
... ... case it's an HD_Station interface ... it's a little more difficult for a unique reason ... HD_Station is ALSO a chroot (isolated in namepsace) ... so you have to manage a chroot in a chroot (nested chroot) ... no a big deal ... but require more works.
if you prefer using QNAP's approach ... you can use Linux Station, Appimage (if compatible with kernel level and some time with squashfs require (kernel module is easy to build (if you have the skills)), LXC (chroot), Docker (chroot but with hidden insecure contents), etc.

When all run as expected ... generating a QPKG is not the big deal, especially if you don't fall in the stupid way to use Q.D.K. ... that is an example of : "what doing thing simple when it's possible to complicate it" ...

Philippe.
New pseudo for Father_Mande (now closed) ...
QNAP TS-x53 Pro, TVS-x73, TS-x31+, TS-x28A DEAD ... and some oldest under Debian ... etc.
Asustor AS5002T ; AS1002T ... etc.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”