TS-453A CPU Upgrade

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
tim@onozcafe.com
Starting out

TS-453A CPU Upgrade

Post by tim@onozcafe.com »

Having issues with running Plex, jittery picture. Does anyone know if the Intel N3150 CPU is upgradable for the 453a, I have read that this chipset is typically soldered in place. I know that others have successfully upgraded other QNap's, just checking if anyone knows or has already perfomed this upgrade on the 453a.

Thanks for any help
Tim N
Note: My user name is an old email that is not in use

Qnap:
TVS-1282 i3 6100, 4-20TB HDD's, drive bays 5 - 8 are not functioning, assuming backplane since drives work in another device without issue.
Added - 2 Noctua 80mm fans (internal), 2 Noctua 120mm fans (external) & Noctua NH-L9x65 CPU Cooler
Used as a Jellyfin Server

Computer:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
schumaku
Guru

Re: TS-453A CPU Upgrade

Post by schumaku »

No it's not ... well, not really. AS there is no quick connect socket ... out of luck.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As said before.. not only is the chipset soldered .. but also the CPU is a BGA package (soldered) and not exchangeable (socket)
tim@onozcafe.com
Starting out

Post by tim@onozcafe.com »

What a shame, thanks for the responses guys.
Note: My user name is an old email that is not in use

Qnap:
TVS-1282 i3 6100, 4-20TB HDD's, drive bays 5 - 8 are not functioning, assuming backplane since drives work in another device without issue.
Added - 2 Noctua 80mm fans (internal), 2 Noctua 120mm fans (external) & Noctua NH-L9x65 CPU Cooler
Used as a Jellyfin Server

Computer:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
c467831
First post

Post by c467831 »

I had a similar issue with Plex. So I installed Kodi and no longer have any problems. However, Kodi isn't available in the "QNAP store". But if you go to the App Center -> click on the Gear icon for Settings -> the setting Menu will appear. Here you can create a 3rd party "App Repository" by selecting the "Add" button.

I pointed to the "QNAP Club" at http://store.qnapclub.eu/store/en.xml . I highly suggest that you Google the address 1st to ensure your comfortable with what you're pointing at. If you do choose to add it, you can find Kodi there.

Originally I thought a HDMI cable which lead me to search if anyone else was having an issue. Some threads mentioned it's a Plex problem. In the end I use Kodi from my HD Station and use Plex while connecting to other devices in my house.

Hope this helps
BenClark
First post

Post by BenClark »

That's a shame you can't upgrade the CPU as I am experiencing similar, though I found that if i changed my player (and told anyone that was also using my player) to set it to always play at original quality, so no transcoding, then the problems went away. The only problem I have now is playing 4K content on non 4K system pretty much causes my QNAP to set on fire...

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”