[Power Supply Problem] QNAP Units

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
sashimi45
Starting out

Re: [Power Supply Problem] QNAP Units

Post by sashimi45 »

Another me too here. Ran into this problem few months ago with my QNAP 209 Pro and I finally found the time to contact QNAP last week. Obviously I had not seen this thread earlier. They pointed out it is probably the PSU and yes it was. They suggested I try to find something off the shelf. I am right now using the Power adapter from my Linksys NAS200 (a crap) unit. Seems to be identical in needs. I am using one of those multi-device adapters from Kensington with the NAS200 in the mean time.

Really really disappointed with QNAP. After paying good change I hope to get better service than this, especially when it seems to be a widely known issue and now I have to go and hack a replacement? I would expect them to actually offer free replacement to affected users or may be with some minimal charges for shipping and handling.

I do not think my next NAS will be another pricey QNAP.
menno
New here

Post by menno »

Yep, this problem finally hit me too.

My TS-109 power supply did exactly as described.

Glad I found this thread on the forums and didnt waste more time on trying to figure out what was wrong.

Thanks,
Menno
Arthur Dent
First post

Post by Arthur Dent »

Bit of an old thread but for the record:
My QNAP 101 TS powersupply gave up today. I have two Qnap devices so i swapped them around to be sure it is the powersupply. And yes it is. This sometimes happens with notebooks that are often used in various environment but this should not be happening with a PS from a storage device that is just sitting there 24/7. It is not the cheapest NAS brand around so I was counting on at least basics quality of the parts. It is to be expected that these complaints will continue to pop up as these PS's are are no A-type quality products (problably not even matching B-type products and many have been sold. This is a quality assurance problem from QNAP and they really should have taken steps to replace these substandard PS's. They could learn something from Toyota.
Specs:
TS 101 turbo station,
DVE Model DSA-0421S-12 1 36
Input 100-240V ~50/60Hz 1,2A 80VA
Output +12V 3A

Looking for an OEM product that matches these specs
coronet24
New here

Post by coronet24 »

Hi to all the QNAP owner's community!

I had the same problem with both my QNAP TS-209 PRO yesterday. As electronic engineer I quickly find the problem (a quite common problem): the capacitors of the Power Supply Unit (PSU). As you can see in the picture I made of PSU, both output capacitors swelled. As I wrote before this is a common problem and there are at least 2 reasons: 1- A few years ago the quality of polarized capacitors decreased drammatically and we expect a lot of devices with the same problems (swelled capacitors) 2- Low quality capacitors could be damaged because of the heat in a very short time. As I can see the PSU aren't built by the QNAP factory, they are buyed on the market and re-selled with the QNAP NAS. I personally find that the quality of the QNAP motherboard is very high (it's a very good product) and my Idea is that we can't juge the product by its PSU only. As I said before, these PSU are buyed on the market and this is the problem (you have no control on the production).
A good quality PSU would solve all these issues. I can personally recommand the FRIWO PSU, they have a typically MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) of 200'000 hours and I never expect a failure with these PSU. There is a model that can fit and replace the QNAP PSU: model 1890889 (60W, 12V/5A). You can find it e.g. by Distrelec (http://www.distrelec.com - Part number: 92 30 38). Hope this will help.

P.S: if you want play with the PSU and repair it you only have to change these capacitors with a good quality polarized capacitor, designed for Swithed Mode Power Supply (SMPS) use (1000uF/16V, 105°C, low ESR) and your QNAP will start again, as before. Please don't do it if you don't know exactly how to do it ! I take no responsability if you destroy something or you have ingiury doing this work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tigerjuju
Starting out

Post by tigerjuju »

Another "me 2" with the TS-209 Pro after running roughly 3 years. I found the same power supply sold on Newegg on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Kinamax-AD-LCD12- ... 295&sr=8-1

The symptoms are exactly the same as most have reported
- NAS stopped responding while running
- NAS will not power up after shutdown
- While holding down power button, there is very faint clicking sound out of the case, but will not power on
- NAS will only power up after all HDD's have been disconnected

I am pretty confident I will fix the problem after replacing the power supply. Hope my post will help others.
tigerjuju
Starting out

Post by tigerjuju »

Happy to report the replacement power adapter from Amazon fixed the problem. I am not an electrical engineer. So I did some research on whether you can replace a lower AMP PSU with a higher AMP PSU. It looks like it's safe to do so, as long as the voltage matches.
dJabba
Know my way around

Post by dJabba »

think i better order a replacement for mine soon, just to have it on hand in case :) need my nas running ^^
NAS: Qnap 110 (FW3.6.1.0302) WDC WD5000AVJS - Web & Mail server.
NAS2: HP N40L, 8GB RAM, 4x2TB Raid5 array, Kingston SSDNow 16GB OS SSD
NAS3: HP N54L, 4GB ECC RAM, no drives yet as I wait for 4TB to drop in price, 16 GB SATA DOM SSD
HTNAS: Jcube Two w. 2.1GHz Tri-Core APU, 8GB 1866 MHz RAM, 16GB SATA DOM SSD, 8bay hotswap Seagate V35.5 2TB, 7" Control-Touchscreen, Watercooled and Custom build case w. gold certified PSU
Connection: 60mbit fiber - Asus RT-16 w. DD-WRT

-- never use a short-url, no matter who gave it to you. When you cant see the target you can't trust anyone
Stumm
First post

Post by Stumm »

My turn... the PSU on my TS109 died yesterday...
as I'm in Belgium, the solution at newegg won't work, we don't use the US plugs :-/
Metallian
New here

Post by Metallian »

Yesterday, my NAS told me that the HDD2 has failed. Raid was in degraded mode. I replaced it with a new drive (hotswap).

The new drive was spinning up but not recognized at all. The NAS ADMINISTRATION was still displaying "NO DISK". I rebooted.

The NAS was then beeping every 30 seconds during 20 minutes. I rebooted once again

Now it doesn't start at all. When I press the power button, the fan turns on but that's all. No led flashing. Nothing on the VGA output. The disks aren't spinning up.
I tried removing both hard drives. Still the same...

btw, the "failed" hard disk is perfectly working on another computer. I think the NAS was reporting it wrong or the PSU was perhaps failing already ...

The NAS is only 18 months old ...

Do you guys think that the PSU is dead ?
JDH
Easy as a breeze

Post by JDH »

Metallian wrote:Yesterday, my NAS told me that the HDD2 has failed. Raid was in degraded mode. I replaced it with a new drive (hotswap).

The new drive was spinning up but not recognized at all. The NAS ADMINISTRATION was still displaying "NO DISK". I rebooted.

The NAS was then beeping every 30 seconds during 20 minutes. I rebooted once again

Now it doesn't start at all. When I press the power button, the fan turns on but that's all. No led flashing. Nothing on the VGA output. The disks aren't spinning up.
I tried removing both hard drives. Still the same...

btw, the "failed" hard disk is perfectly working on another computer. I think the NAS was reporting it wrong or the PSU was perhaps failing already ...

The NAS is only 18 months old ...

Do you guys think that the PSU is dead ?
Yes, it is the sign of a dead PSU as far as I can recall.
NAS Model: TS-453B Mini/TS-253P
FW Ver: 4.4.3.1421 / 4.4.3.1421
No. of HDDs: 4/2
HDD Model: WD Red
HDD Capacity: 6/3TB
RAID Config: RAID 1
Services enabled: All standard services
Ext. Devices: USB Printer (HP Laser Jet 1320)
NAS Speed/MTU: 100Mbps/1500 Bytes
happyfishman
New here

Post by happyfishman »

My turn to get the bothersome PSU failure on my TS-109 - with a little twist...

I get the usual ticking sound and no hard disc boot-up, but I've found that if I let it continue to tick after a few minutes there is a very brief flicker of activity from the HD before the ticking stops. There's a continuing green flashing light but no sound at all. If I turn it off and then power up again the drive starts normally.

If the device is left off for a while I have to go through the whole process of turning it on, then off after the ticking stops (the drive won't start unless I wait for the ticking to stop), then back on again... weird.

I have noticed though, that after a few months of this that the waiting for "ticking" phase to complete is getting longer (now around 3 or 4 minutes), so I guess it's time to replace the PSU...
PacoCro
First post

Post by PacoCro »

There is same problem here with me ... thank you forhelp
Filou
New here

Post by Filou »

Last week my QNAP TS-209 went down. Was up and running since end 2007.
Only starts up when HD's are removed. Produces a silent ticking sound when trying to start up with HD's; but that's the only thing that happens :-(
Interesting thread here. Now ordered a new Power Supply. Hope to enjoy my QNAP NAS some extra more years.
Thanks for all your input (especially coronet24).
Regards,
happyfishman
New here

Post by happyfishman »

Ordered a replacement PSU from Cyberstocker on Ebay for under £5 (including postage):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... OC:GB:1123

Note that the plug cable is not included, but I just used the one from the old PSU.

It unfortunately only lasted about three hours before it died after switching the drive off. A quick email exchange with Cyberstocker and they sent a new one without any fuss. The relacement has been working fine for about a week now - no ticking, no waiting.

Now if only I could get it to go to sleep...
Ysbrand
New here

Post by Ysbrand »

Another 'me too' after 2 years and 2 monts. The difference is that mine is a TS409U [1U 19" rack NAS]
I did expect a longer lifetime of a ' semi profesional 19" ' unit. Of coarse almost the same MoBo is used as an TS409...
Looking the web for a new PSU: a 'Channel Well Technology' item PSM200-89A. But difficult to get so far...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”