Is QNAP TS-439 RAM upgradable?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
hln98
Getting the hang of things

Is QNAP TS-439 RAM upgradable?

Post by hln98 »

Is QNAP TS-439 RAM upgradable? Would like to go to whatever max.
petur

Re: Is QNAP TS-439 RAM upgradable?

Post by petur »

It has one slot, and I think the maximum it can hold is 2GB. Ships with 1GB. Upgrading ram voids warranty, unless you manage to do so without opening the case (on TS-439 it is in reach when the drives are removed, but not easy I've been told)

If you want more upgradability, look at the TS-509, it has 2 slots for memory (so maximum 4GB of which part will not be available because it isn't 64bit linux)
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Using search function might help :shock:

Unless manufactuing has changed, all TS-x39 and TS-509 have one notebook-like SO-DIMM socket - so 4 GB are within reach. Be aware it's running on a 32-bit OS, we're on a PC achitecture x86, so only around 3.4 GB are available finally.

Check the SO-DIMM QNAP has installed in your system for refernece. When I remember right (old grey cells) we have updated QNAP' TS with SO-DDR2 2GB PC2-4300, 533MHz, Non-ECC, CL5, 200Pin, 1.8V to 2 GB and with SO-DDR2 4GB PC2-5400, 667MHz, Non-ECC, CL5, 200Pin, 1.8V to 3.something GB (as no 533 MHz SO-DIMM were available).

Use an anti-static mat, put your system on it. Wrap the ground strap around your hand and go ahead...

Warranty void concerns are completely B.S. - these "warranty void" labels are null and void and have zero legal value, in the EU, in Switzerland ... and everywhere consumer rights agree updating a RAM in a computer requires opening a box owned by the customer. Cant her that anymore. QNAP should save time and money in assembly there.

-Kurt.
hln98

Post by hln98 »

I am going to upgrade this. Need to search for a how to.

I assume I can get the 2GB chip from places like crucial.com. Has anyone done this? please advice where to get it. What kind of RAM and stuffs. Thanks a bunch.
petur

Post by petur »

schumaku wrote:Unless manufactuing has changed, all TS-x39 and TS-509 have one notebook-like SO-DIMM socket - so 4 GB are within reach. Be aware it's running on a 32-bit OS, we're on a PC achitecture x86, so only around 3.4 GB are available finally.
hmm you're right, I just opened my TS-439 and there is a second slot under the used one...
schumaku wrote:Warranty void concerns are completely B.S. - these "warranty void" labels are null and void and have zero legal value, in the EU, in Switzerland ... and everywhere consumer rights agree updating a RAM in a computer requires opening a box owned by the customer. Cant her that anymore. QNAP should save time and money in assembly there.
If you consider the NAS to be a computer, yes. This is a grey zone, always tricky in court.
Also, if QNAP says warranty is void, how many customers are going to do the trouble of taking this to court?
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland
openUp
First post

re: so only around 3.4 GB are available

Post by openUp »

schumaku wrote:Be aware it's running on a 32-bit OS, we're on a PC achitecture x86, so only around 3.4 GB are available finally.
That statement is plain wrong. (And Mircrosoft brainwash, they where not fine with XP's stability on that)

Look:

Code: Select all

ts439I:/mnt# cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 28
model name	: Genuine Intel(R) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr =>pae<= mce
That means : wikipedia:PAE
If you use a kernel compiled with the CONFIG_X86_PAE enabled , that should give you all your 4GB!
Provided there are no problems with the bios/mainboard ...
mrmvd
Starting out

Post by mrmvd »

Is TS-439 Pro has 2-channel DDR controller? Upgrading RAM can increase it's speed if so.
balletboy
First post

Post by balletboy »

i have qnap ts439 , it came with 1 gb ram, which ** **. i have upgraded to 2gb ram cl5 ram pc 5300 (667 mhz) . it worked great.
nom issued. Then i tried a 2 gb pc6400 ram (800 mhz ) , and it was a no go. all i was was boothing system ...... for ** for ever and no change.
tehrefore i guess 800 mhz ram is not supported . I then tried a 4gb PC 5300 (667 mhz) 200 pin dimm that i got for my dell xps1730 and ts 439 pro didnt like it. i head beep. beep;. beep. beep. that it. so i guess its does not like 4gb ram. i have the latest firmware installed. 3.3.1
anyways that is all
internaut19
Experience counts

Post by internaut19 »

I have a TS439 pro II and I need it a bit more RAM to run virtual box, so I changed the 1 GB module with a 2 GB module. Next, I did a check using memtest86 to make sure the RAM module is not faulty and restarted the NAS. The box started fine, checked the web interface and it was showing 2 GB ... :) ... made me a happy camper.

The RAM module that I used is a A-DATA SODIMM DDR2 800 2GB single tray cl6 - SKU AD2S800B2G6-S.

Cristian.
TS-219
TS-439 PRO II
bmanfield

Post by bmanfield »

Sorry to bump an old thread but whilst looking for the answer for my TS-439 Pro I found the following picture. I've decided to upgrade the RAM in my unit. This little NAS that could just keeps on giving. So much these days in fact that I figured a RAM upgrade was in order.

Henningm
Starting out

Post by Henningm »

Did you upgrade the ram?
What Ram did you use?
I'm considering the same thing for my TS-439

- Henning
Palinus
Starting out

Post by Palinus »

Just upgraded my system to 2GB with no problems.
Used G.Skill F2-5300CL4S-2GBSQ ram.
speedyspike
First post

Post by speedyspike »

Hi, I'm just a noob regarding QNAP memory upgrades.
My TS-439 Pro II+ has 1 GB . what is my benefit If I would upgrade it to 2 GB. Not using Virtual machines running on the Qnap it self.

what would I notice when upgraded ?

thanks

Rene

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”