Seagate ST2000DL003?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
nielsgreef
Starting out

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003?

Post by nielsgreef »

@liamf

Downgrading to 3.4.4 does not solve the issue, i tried this but resulted in a new drop within 2 hours of use (streaming HD content)
Before 3.4.4 i did not have had any problems, but since 3.4.4 it all started.
liamf
Starting out

Post by liamf »

@nielsgreef: Really? Well that's interesting ...

So downgrading to a version ~before~ 3.4.4 would be worth trying then?
And the drawback of that is that sometimes it does not detect a drive on reboot?

Any other upvotes for that idea?

Any news which QNAP support would like to add on root cause analysis?
nielsgreef
Starting out

Post by nielsgreef »

@Liamf

Maybe it's worth trying to downgrade to firmware before 3.4.4
What is you formatting do you use EXT3 or EXT4?

I'm using ext4 with write cache on, i now disabled write cache maybe it has somthing to do with that.
I will test it this weekend so i can rebuild in case a disk drops again.
zsnoop
New here

Post by zsnoop »

Hello nielsgreef and all,

I don't have enabled "write cache" and I'm also experiencing the same issue. Disks get removed.

The workarround that I'm trying to see if it works: Disable the SandBy Mode of HardDrives (I have the idea that the process of waking up the disks sometimes fails). Remember that these "ECO green" disks have special power saving functions that the FIrmware is not able to commit with. Go to Hardware Configuration -> Second Checkbox (disable to avoid the HDDs sleeping).

My NAS is working well since I changed that. (4 days)

Hope this is the workarround till new Firmware gets final solution.

Regards,
liamf
Starting out

Post by liamf »

@nielsgreef

I'm using ext3: it seemed the less risky choice for RAID5. It didn't seem to me that for my usecase (home network media storage essentially) write cache was a terrifically good idea ...

Anyway, I doubt that it's power saving mode in my case that's the cause, since the disks were dropping out when under continuous load: copying a couple of TB worth of media files onto the NAS when setting it up.

I kicked that process off again last night onto a reformatted, empty array. We'll see ...

But really QNAP people, can you take this one seriously. It's *still* on the compatibility list. And it isn't compatible.
And anyway we on this thread don't care, because it *was* on the compatibility list when we purchased our systems, so go fix it please.
eatemalive
New here

Post by eatemalive »

@zsnoop

Tried disabling standby mode, no good either.

Mine doesn't seem to be a high load problem, the best i can tell it always happens overnight at minimum load and Its always disk(bay) 3, which seems to be a common pattern in the thread.
nielsgreef
Starting out

Post by nielsgreef »

I tried turning hardware standbymode to off a while ago but with no result.
zsnoop
New here

Post by zsnoop »

@eatemalive,

Thank you for your your comment. Really helpful. I had exacly the same issue than you. Midnight at minimum load. I had problems with Disk 1 and disk 4. So in resume:
- HHD standby mode doesn't help
- Write cache disabled doesn't help
- It happend for all cases midnight (low load)
- Would say that that night that disk were removed, Power lost at home (unexpected shutdown happend)

I have 1 more idea that I have applied to disk 1. The disks are SATA3 and my QNAP device is only able to work on SATA2 standard, If disks are not limited, the hardware where the HDD are attached should be able to autoselect the correct speed. There may be a possibility that these disks are not autonegotiating speed correctly. Who knows....
I have jumpered the device (blind eyes, as I could not find specific details for this new 6Gbs disks), So I jumpered as other old disks to limit from 3Mb/s -> 1.5Mb/s

Will let know how this works.

Note: QNAP TS-419P - FW 3.5.0 (4 Seagate disks ST2000DL003-9VT166 with FW CC32)
mzmap
New here

Post by mzmap »

Hi all,

Unit has been up and running, working fine, without further HDD dropouts. For safety, I unchecked the HDD standby mode option.

Since I was afraid the problem might be high I/O load, I changed from Download Station (DS) to Transmission for working with torrents. Apart from the fact that I am much happier with Transmission, the main reason for changing was that settings in DS constantly had to be changed for network prioritizing. This always led to all the torrents being re-checked. I believe the HDD dropout occurred while some torrents were being checked and others were active.

Transmission allows me to modify settings on the fly without forcing a file check on the torrents everytime. I have also capped speeds to around 300KB/s (down/up) when network is free (from a previous high of 800KB/s).

For now, all good.

mzmap
eatemalive
New here

Post by eatemalive »

@mzmap

Thanks for that.

@everyone, is that a common theme has everyone been using download station when the dropouts occurred?
nielsgreef
Starting out

Post by nielsgreef »

I'm not using anything on the nas besides SMB and NFS, the dropouts occur on load... any load.
xlucas
Starting out

Post by xlucas »

same here ... right now ... drop out of first hdd happend now ... klogd attached ... http://paste2.org/p/1654089 Any hints welcome.
xlucas
Starting out

Post by xlucas »

I do not use transmission neither Download station.
nielsgreef
Starting out

Post by nielsgreef »

Backing up all my data at the moment.
When that's done i'm going to troubleshoot the nas.
eatemalive
New here

Post by eatemalive »

nielsgreef wrote:Backing up all my data at the moment.
When that's done i'm going to troubleshoot the nas.
Ive started to do the same however the same drive has dropped out for the third time (drive 3)
First thing I'm going to do is replace it with a WD green drive I have and see how that goes.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”