Seagate ST2000DL003?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
dtbaker
New here

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003?

Post by dtbaker »

fionncolvin wrote:
dtbaker wrote:My TS-412 with four ST2000DL003's just arrived.....
If you go ahead and setup with RAID 5 make sure to enable bitmaps when everything is up to minimize rebuild time if/when you have a dropped disk.
done, enabling bitmaps, no drive dropouts yet but only rebooted twice.
maytrees
Getting the hang of things

Post by maytrees »

I wish QNAP would comment on their investigation into dropped disks; they were very quick to help when I was reviewing competitor products, but now that I have bought one of their larger NASs, support seems pretty sparse. :evil:
QNAP TVS-EC1080+ with 10x WD 4Gb TRE Drives in RAID6. TS-659 Pro II with 6 x IBM 5400 RPM drives.
chase888
New here

Post by chase888 »

Just wanted to add, that i have just installed 4 seagate drives (ST2000DL003), in my TS-412. and have had no issues so far, running on firmware 3.4.3 Build 0520T. its been running for 24 hours so far, and no reports of any issues.
dtbaker
New here

Post by dtbaker »

no problems here yet either (gladly) even after multiple reboots, stock firmware, waiting for next release before upgrading that.

4 x Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT1CC32 - 1863.02 GB Capacity
Firmware Version 3.3.9 Build 0217T
System Up Time 1 Day 2 Hour 49 Minute(s)

:)
djander
First post

Post by djander »

Bought my TS-419P+ 4 weeks ago with 4 of the, then approved with no comments, Seagate ST2000DL003, started to have problems with it a week ago. Starting service… nothing helps, managed to get in to the device and do a backup of all the data. Have tried everything support has told me to.
Reinstall 3 times
Recovery

I just took them out, formatted them in windows put them back in and see how it goes.

QNAP support advised me today that the HDD isn’t on the recommended list any longer, they are on the NOT recommended list.
Note13
These hard disk drives have passed QNAP lab's initial verification of compatibility. However, because many users have reported unstable experience with these hard disk drives, we temporarily move these hard disk drives to the Not Recommended Hard Drives list. We are still investigating on the root cause and we will update the solution later.

Awesome... NOT!

Anyone have had the same problem?

Do we have a date for the Firmware, or just next week?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

djander wrote:Do we have a date for the Firmware, or just next week?
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 93#p210296 posted 14 July says next week - so it's this week if things are passing PQA approval.
mfgb
New here

Post by mfgb »

the new version is ready to download
mhellquist
New here

Post by mhellquist »

The new firmware 3.4.4 seems to have solved the issue :) Thank you QNAP!
UkPaolo
Starting out

Post by UkPaolo »

I updated my 419P to firmware 3.4.4 yesterday. Today I've just got the familiar disk read/write error on one of my HDDs so it seems it's not solved the problem for me at least :( .

I note however that recent posts on this subject have been about dropped disks on power-up/reboot. This was never the problem that I had - am I alone in this regard?

The problem I have been suffering is that periodically, whilst the NAS is operating (and always whilst under at least medium if not heavy use) the NAS reports that one of the ST2000DL003 has been unplugged. On actually removing the drive and re-inserting it states disk read/write error, until I do a bad blocks scan (which is fine) whereupon the RAID is re-built. This has been happenning roughly once a week for the last few months.

QNAP - very unimpressed by the handling of this issue. It's been months since this was first reported and with pretty poor comms from yourselves in the meantime. I purchased the drives in good faith since at the time they were explicitly listed on your supported hardware list. That they still fail regularly is an absolute disgrace.
maytrees
Getting the hang of things

Post by maytrees »

UkPaolo wrote:I updated my 419P to firmware 3.4.4 yesterday. Today I've just got the familiar disk read/write error on one of my HDDs so it seems it's not solved the problem for me at least :( .

I note however that recent posts on this subject have been about dropped disks on power-up/reboot. This was never the problem that I had - am I alone in this regard?

The problem I have been suffering is that periodically, whilst the NAS is operating (and always whilst under at least medium if not heavy use) the NAS reports that one of the ST2000DL003 has been unplugged. On actually removing the drive and re-inserting it states disk read/write error, until I do a bad blocks scan (which is fine) whereupon the RAID is re-built. This has been happenning roughly once a week for the last few months.

QNAP - very unimpressed by the handling of this issue. It's been months since this was first reported and with pretty poor comms from yourselves in the meantime. I purchased the drives in good faith since at the time they were explicitly listed on your supported hardware list. That they still fail regularly is an absolute disgrace.
Same here, I had the drop outs while running under no or minimal load!
QNAP TVS-EC1080+ with 10x WD 4Gb TRE Drives in RAID6. TS-659 Pro II with 6 x IBM 5400 RPM drives.
AlexKe
Experience counts

Post by AlexKe »

UkPaolo wrote:I note however that recent posts on this subject have been about dropped disks on power-up/reboot. This was never the problem that I had - am I alone in this regard?
Hi UkPaolo,

Actually, we fix the issue of HDD cannot be detected correctly during the NAS power on/off, on 3.4.4. If your issue is regarding to HDD drop during the operation mode, it can be the other case.

Here are the advises for troubleshooting.
1.) Download the SeaTools from the link below and perform the Short Generic & Long Generic to test your Seagate HDD on PC. It might help to check the HDD healthy. ==> SeaTools for Windows

2.) Next, you can run the scan now to check the file system error on your RAID volume from the NAS. [Volume Management] > [CHECK NOW]

3.) Restore all system configuration setting to manufactory default by press the reset button for 10 seconds. All system setting will be overwritten to default setting. ==> Advanced system reset (10 sec)

4.) If above actions cannot help, please fill the online support form to contact with technical support for direct help.
//Support Resource//
Online User Manual: http://docs.qnap.com
Tech Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=4574
Download Center: http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=848
UkPaolo
Starting out

Post by UkPaolo »

QNAPAlex wrote: Hi UkPaolo,

Actually, we fix the issue of HDD cannot be detected correctly during the NAS power on/off, on 3.4.4. If your issue is regarding to HDD drop during the operation mode, it can be the other case.

Here are the advises for troubleshooting.
1.) Download the SeaTools from the link below and perform the Short Generic & Long Generic to test your Seagate HDD on PC. It might help to check the HDD healthy. ==> SeaTools for Windows

2.) Next, you can run the scan now to check the file system error on your RAID volume from the NAS. [Volume Management] > [CHECK NOW]

3.) Restore all system configuration setting to manufactory default by press the reset button for 10 seconds. All system setting will be overwritten to default setting. ==> Advanced system reset (10 sec)

4.) If above actions cannot help, please fill the online support form to contact with technical support for direct help.
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply to my post. I've just finished running both short & long tests against the HDD using SeaTools from my PC - the test passed without problems on the drive which failed most recently in my QNAP. I will continue to test the others, but I really don't think the drives are at fault here - they were bought from different suppliers at different times, and all have failed consistently since first use in my NAS. All have a Good SMART status.

I've also run the Volume Management 'Check Now' - again, no problems found. I'm reluctant to reset all settings on the NAS without further info about what this is likely to achieve, I'm skeptical as to whether it will solve my problem.

As for submitting the online contact form I did so several months ago but received no reply. I also sent a PM to QNAPJason which went unanswered after the initial request for further info. I've just tried to submit the form again and it seems I'm unable to do so using Firefox for Mac. In any case, to save me re-entering the exact same information, if I PM you my details would you be able to just look into the previous request for help please?

I've always been a big fan of QNAP, but with my current setup I'm no longer able to recommend you guys. Please look into this!
e932
Starting out

Post by e932 »

Just wanted to let you guys know that I just had such a power on/off HDD dropping incident this morning. Its a brand new TS-419P+ installed 4 days ago with 3 Samsung EcoF4 HDDs (HD204UI) - the 4th one had read/write errors, with actual bad blocks.

Needless to say that the Qnap runs with the new firmware 3.4.4!!

But one thing is even worse: the Qnap didn't even send me a notification mail (testmail works fine, though).

Unfortunately the kernels ringbuffer is not large enough to see all kernel log messages (via dmesg) from the start, so no clue from there what exactly happened at startup.

greetings,
mike
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hi Mike,
e932 wrote:Needless to say that the Qnap runs with the new firmware 3.4.4!!
Thie issue addressed in 3.4.4 is related to the inability to spin-up and detect some disk types or disk hardware/firmware variants in time, so the some or all disks were not available to activate the RAID and/or mount the volumes.

I have never seen any information when one or multiple disks could not be mounted due to access error in the partition tables or system partition area at boot time. This potential issue was never addressed indeed, despite of several reports in the forum and direct to QNAP.

Regards,
-Kurt.

PS. Moderator, can we please split this issue ot a new thread please?
e932
Starting out

Post by e932 »

Hi Kurt,

thanks for the quick reply, you're right. I didn't read the thread back far enough!

Mine seems to be a different kind of problem ...

greetings,
mike

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”