OS X LION with QNAP AFP

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
schumaku
Guru

Re: OS X LION with QNAP AFP

Post by schumaku »

schuey100 wrote:So if I go to the settings and activate DHX2 I can upgrade to Lion and still have access to all my data via the finder?
Technically yes - but honestly, why are you in a hurry?

Please be aware that there is reasonable time required to connect each AFP share on the NAS, especially on the low-power ARM based units also on v3.4.4.

From my neutral Swiss engineer view, I suggest to wait with the OS X Lion upgrade - unless you have a clear business need and can't do your work without - for some weeks, until QNAP firmware v3.5 is fully ready with netatalk 2.2 (no repeated delays when connecting AFP shares) and TimeMachine support.

Somtimes hard to convince the disciples of Steve...
Last edited by schumaku on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schuey100
New here

Post by schuey100 »

:) There's a reason I haven't upgraded yet..I always wait to make sure of compatibility across all my hardware and software. Currently QNAP and my Spectrasonics software are holding me back. I'm just checking to see what the current situation is, that's all :) Thanks again for the help.
Syrus
New here

Post by Syrus »

The same with my QNAP NAS TS-201
I can only get access to the server/folders if I give all full "Quest" access. This I don't want to allow.
I also tried the instructions from http://www.alexanderwilde.com/.....orkaround/ without avail.
There's also no firmware update for this unit since 2008
No other firmware works with this device.

Please help.

Regards....
mcode151
Starting out

Re: OS X LION with QNAP AFP (SMB & NFS too)

Post by mcode151 »

I know this was an APF thread and now that it's trouble is mostly settled (whether you re-enable DHCAST128 in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or use the fw3.4.4 with dhx2 support) and time machine + slowness to be fixed in fw3.5 with netatalk 2.2 etc).

Thought I'd make this thread aware of 2 other other lion gotchas:

Thought my SMB was broken for a second (as apple ditched samba in lion since they didn't agree with gplv3 move - it's now SMBX but combatible with SMB2) can't mount via the finder auto discovered sidebar links/bonjour, but if I use finder > go > connect to server it's fine.

NFS mounts on the other hand are a no go without using command line. Can't mount via Finder > Go > Connect to Server OR Disk Utility > File > NFS Mounts (at one point that was the only way to do it in some 10.6.x version since finder > go > connect to server was broken for NFS - makes me wonder if they forked 10.7 and forgot to apply it to that branch when they fixed 10.6.x (sry don't remember exact version), and intial attempts at command line mount -t nfs and so forth were unsuccessful at first.

So the only way I could get NFS to work was with -P to force the use of a reserved port number:

Code: Select all

sudo mount_nfs -P <host>:<remote shared dir> <local mount point>
(Unless of course you use the 'insecure' argument in your server's /etc/exports instead if you're the admin.)

The questions:

A) Does anyone have an open bug report with apple on SMB (bonjoure) or NFS (2 graphical tools/nfs reserved ports)? Regular apple id accounts can only see their own bugs, though might end up purchasing developer account again with a bug I just found with directory utility it's openldap configuration/search base since that always seems to be the only way to be taken seriously.

B) Should we add a checkbox in QNAP to apply 'insecure' (default off)? Dropping to the command line isn't always great for offices, and the idea is to have things as simple as possible qnap administration side rather than having to edit the qnap exports config manually.

While:
The TCP ports 1-1024 are reserved for root's use (and therefore sometimes referred to as "secure ports") A non-root user cannot bind these ports. Adding the secure option to an /etc/exports means that it will only listed to requests coming from ports 1-1024 on the client, so that a malicious non-root user on the client cannot come along and open up a spoofed NFS dialogue on a non-reserved port.
Apple's manpage:
resvport - Use a reserved socket port number. This is useful for mounting servers that require clients to use a reserved port number on the mistaken belief that this makes NFS more secure. (For the rare case where the client has a trusted root account but untrustwor-thy users and the network cables are in secure areas this does help, but for normal desktop clients this does not apply.)
Last edited by mcode151 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nalekx
New here

Post by nalekx »

Because it is not clear for me I have the following questions
I have a question about the partially fix the AFP connection described on: http://www.appletips.nl/os-x-lion-verbi ... t-een-nas/
Does this fix work?
I don't use my QNAP 209 PRO II for time machine backups only for Chronosync backups and as file server.

And is there an other way to connect to my NAS?

I hope somebody will answer my questions.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

nalekx wrote:I have a question about the partially fix the AFP connection described on: http://www.appletips.nl/os-x-lion-verbi ... t-een-nas/ Does this fix work? I don't use my QNAP 209 PRO II for time machine backups ...
Yes, re-activating DHCAST128 should allow you to gain AFP access to your TS-209 Pro II again. Follow exactly the process as shown, including the two reboots. Be aware, the last code line is used to _remove_ the DHCAST128 again at a later stage - just in case.
nalekx
New here

Post by nalekx »

Thanks, schumaku for your quick reply.

Remco
djmarkb
Starting out

Post by djmarkb »

any solution to have SMB share in finder automatically, like snow leopard with TS-110 ???
Q
Experience counts

Post by Q »

to have SMB share in finder automatically
it seems bonjour doesn't work with smb on lion for some reason. don't know why. so it doesn't work automatically. it does work for afp. however you can easily connect manually to your smb shares! when in finder press ⌘K and add the address smb://yournasname or smb://yournasip. that's it :)

make sure that you don't use the bonjour nas name but the real nas name. for example in my case the bonjour name was TS119(SAMBA). but it doesn't work to connect to smb://TS119(SAMBA). however it works fine to connect to smb://TS119.
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!
djmarkb
Starting out

Post by djmarkb »

Q wrote:
to have SMB share in finder automatically
it seems bonjour doesn't work with smb on lion for some reason. don't know why. so it doesn't work automatically. it does work for afp. however you can easily connect manually to your smb shares! when in finder press ⌘K and add the address smb://yournasname or smb://yournasip. that's it :)

yes... i already know this solution but it's really annoying press everytime cmd+k :)
Dropnuts
Getting the hang of things

Post by Dropnuts »

Once SMB share is mounted, drag to the dock. Should be one click mount from the on.
[TS-509] - E7600 C2D CPU, TS-809 firmware on 16GB SSD DOM
astronyu
Starting out

Post by astronyu »

BogeyMan wrote:
dynek wrote:Priority ? Mac OS X Lion is not even out yet. It doesn't seem that urgent, is it ?
Urgent? Maybe not. Important? Definately. How would you feel in Windows 7 (or, insert your OS of choice here) had been released and you were unable to connect to your shiny QNAP NAS box after upgrading since there was no warning of lack of support? I would hope that within the development dungeons of QNAP at least one or two engineers are using Macs to test connectivity.

If QNAP really care about their user base, they should be members of the Apple Developer Program. This will give them access to the Apple Developer Forums where this issue has been discussed and a work around published. However, it's a workaround, not a solution.
Apple Developer Forums wrote:The most likely cause for this problem is that Lion disables support for the "DHCAST128", which is commonly used by NAS boxes but is, in our opinion, insufficiently secure
And the workaround:
Apple Developer Forums wrote: To turn on "DHCAST128" support please do the following:
1) Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and do:

sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1
Now restart your computer.
2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use "Connect To...". This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file
3) Launch Terminal again and do:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array "Cleartxt Passwrd" "MS2.0" "2-Way Randnum exchange"
sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences
Now restart your computer.
Note: To add a "DHCAST128" to the disable list, use

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add "DHCAST128"

Ok, I can confirm this method above works, I am now able to view my network through AFP
BUT as far as Time Machine goes, it won't work.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

astronyu wrote:[... I am now able to view my network through AFP. BUT as far as Time Machine goes, it won't work.
Corect OS X Lion requires additional AFP features not available in netatlak 2.1 as installed on pre-v3.5 (final) firmware.
Glenndk
New here

Post by Glenndk »

daviddagenais wrote:Just a heads up that I installed Lion today (OS 10.7) and I get an error when trying to connect to my 809U-RP via AFP. It says that the current version of AFP on the device is not compatible. I am though able to connect via SMB.

Just a heads up. Please see pic for error message.
Please read this workaround that works :D :

Lion: Connecting to legacy AFP services - and Mac OS X (server):
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=48143
astronyu
Starting out

Post by astronyu »

Surprised that no one posted the latest info.

A new firmware was released on the last August 25th.
http://www.qnap.com/download.asp?pl=1&p_mn=83

From the release note:
[Official Firmware] v3.3.1 Build0823 for TS-209 series NAS

[Before Getting Started]
- Always have a full backup before updating your system
- Remember to clear the browser's cache

[Version & Build]
3.3.1 Build0823

[Checksum]
TS-209: 2220887974

[What's New?]
- Mac OS X Lion compatible including Time Machine