[TS-210] Fan replacement with a NOT PWM model

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
ericmetz
First post

[TS-210] Fan replacement with a NOT PWM model

Post by ericmetz »

Hi everyone,

I had to change the fan of my TS-210 because he was beginning to do too much noise for my little living room.
After some research, I gave up in trying to find a 60mm silent and 4pin PMW fan.
I took a very silent 60mm fan with an additional Zalman Fan Mate 2 to find the best balance between speed/temperature/noise.
I am very happy of the result: 27°C constantly and almost no noise.

But (there is always a but), the NAS does not like having loose the 4th pin that was allowing him to set the fan speed. At each startup I receive a "Smart Fan Control: System fan fail." email and, this is the problem, the status light is constantly red (so no way to check if NAS HDDs are idle or not anymore).

Any idea how I can tell the NAS that there is no problem about it?

Of course, I already tried to set the "Fan Rotation Speed Settings" option of the web administration interface to "Set fan rotation speed manually" (the other option is "Enable Smart Fan (recommended)"), but it does not change anything.

Thanks in advance to anybody that could give me a clue!
Crush
Been there, done that

Re: [TS-210] Fan replacement with a NOT PWM model

Post by Crush »

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/sp ... Public.pdf

Provides information on how PWM fans work, and the pin-out. However, you're missing the control signal from the fan so unless you can generate that and feed it into the missing wire you're out of luck. I would have thought using a CPU fan would have been a better bet.
Chris H
QNAP TS-453Be 4x4TB Ironwolf, 8GB RAM. QM2-2S10G1T, 2x Kingston m.2 240GB
QNAP TS-873 8x3TB WD Red, 2x Kingston m.2 240GB, 16GB RAM, MSI 1050Ti.
QNAP TS-419PII (firmware 3.6.0 build 0210). 4x Seagate ST33000651AS 3TB drives. Netgear GS108Tv2 switch, VirginMedia Netgear modem/router, APC 1500VA UPS.
QNAP TS-201 - still working but retired, QNAP 419PII also retired :)
Lian-Li EX-503 with 5 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI for backups
Main PC Gigabyte, 4790k, 32GB RAM, 30TB disks, Twin Dell 27" screens
Sjdevlin
New here

Post by Sjdevlin »

Hi

I have had the same problem. Qnap beeping to indicate fan failure. It is hard to find a replacement but I found one from Evercool model number EC6015SH12BP. I

The 3 pin fans (easy to find) don't work because the although the fan itself runs, the fourth wire is a tachometer feedback back to the qnap to tell it that the fan is running. So although the fan runs the qnap still thinks the fan is broken and keeps beeping the error code.

Had to purchase from the USA. Total price including shipping to UK was $20. Have now installed (easy same plug etc). and works fine. Nice and quiet.
skrobul
New here

Post by skrobul »

Word of caution - I purchased the mentioned replacement (also from USA). It arrived to UK within 3 days, so delay wasn't major concern. Unfortunately after installing the fan I had to remove it after 2 hours and replace it with the old one. EC6015SH12BP is extremely loud! The specs mention 18.2 - 38.9 dB, but this is simply not the case. I measured noise levels while installed in TS-210 and on low it was about 48dB with stunning 70dB on high.

The only good thing is that qnap recognises the fan and is able to control the speed properly. Nevertheless, I will be sending it back as I cannot keep something so noisy in my room.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

ericmetz wrote:Hi everyone,

I had to change the fan of my TS-210 because he was beginning to do too much noise for my little living room.
After some research, I gave up in trying to find a 60mm silent and 4pin PMW fan.
I took a very silent 60mm fan with an additional Zalman Fan Mate 2 to find the best balance between speed/temperature/noise.
I am very happy of the result: 27°C constantly and almost no noise.

But (there is always a but), the NAS does not like having loose the 4th pin that was allowing him to set the fan speed. At each startup I receive a "Smart Fan Control: System fan fail." email and, this is the problem, the status light is constantly red (so no way to check if NAS HDDs are idle or not anymore).

Any idea how I can tell the NAS that there is no problem about it?

Of course, I already tried to set the "Fan Rotation Speed Settings" option of the web administration interface to "Set fan rotation speed manually" (the other option is "Enable Smart Fan (recommended)"), but it does not change anything.

Thanks in advance to anybody that could give me a clue!
It needs to be a 60mm 12VDC PWM 4-wire fan.

Using the "wrong" part will not work. Sorry, but this is the only answer I can provide you with.
QNAP can probably "sell" you one for a "nominal fee", submit a ticket with the QNAP Helpdesk for this issue and/or to secure a replacement fan.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”