WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
schumaku
Guru

Re: WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Post by schumaku »

Personally, I see the WD Red as a consumer grade HDD for NAS, leaving the unlucky desktop features of desktop HDD away. Of course, WDC does not want to torpedize thier bread-and-butter enterprise business - so they set a radnomly defined marketing boundary.

The question you have to answer: Do I need enterprise grade HDD (slightly lower MTBF, better warranty terms), or can I go for consumer grade disks (lower cost, shorter warranty)?

The decision should be done based on the effective usage of the NAS. A sytem that is fully busy 24*7 (ie. serving business, data center-like, massive online backup, serving virtual machines where uptime is critical) should run on enterprise drives. A sytem for home usage, some sismple 8..10 hour office applications, do some download and playback music and video for some hours can perfectly run on conumer drives - calculate one or two spare drives. And then - a geek who is planing to upgrade the HDD to 4 TB or even larger drives when available and affordable within the shsorter warranty time (typical thee years)...?
NASGrizzly
New here

Post by NASGrizzly »

Thanks for your help.

It's just for 8 to 10 hours home usage.
- Backup for two computer
- Music
- Videos
- Storage for video editing
- File storage

After reading your post I guess the WD Red will suffice.
TonyPh12345
Been there, done that

Post by TonyPh12345 »

I agree...

Most HOME users aren't using 10-bay NAS boxes. Most are using 1 or 2 bay. Fewer are using 4 or 5 bay.

WD made an "Arbitrary" call to say the "Home" NAS is 1-5 bay.

I see no reason why the REDs wouldn't work in a 10-bay, as long as the "usage" profile is similar...
GSpuhler
Starting out

3 TB HD Compatibility WD Red WD30EFRX

Post by GSpuhler »

Hi Community
Thanks for the reply. When looking on the compatibility list the new 3 TB HD Western Digital Red, 64MB, 3TB, SATA-3 (WD30EFRX) ist not stated.
On your reply you say YES they are. Where you you have the informatione that the new 3 TB HD Western Digital Red, 64MB, 3TB, SATA-3 (WD30EFRX) ifts the NAS TS-459 Pro II fits the requirements.
Thanks for you shore reply.,
Best regards
Gregor
amnm
Getting the hang of things

Re: 3 TB HD Compatibility WD Red WD30EFRX

Post by amnm »

It is listed in the compatibility list. Check http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lan ... n=4657&g=4
amnm
Getting the hang of things

Post by amnm »

I am also very excited about the new RED drives from Western Digital. I am using Blacks at the moment and I wanted to buy an additional 3TB. I was tossing between Hitachi and Seagate, but with the new release I think I am going to buy a RED.

One customer feedback which made me feel worried was in http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822236342 under the feedback section.

Here is what he had to say:

"I ordered two of these, plugged them in, and powered up. Immediately heard a soft popping noise, followed by smoke bellowing out of my case. I freaked out and pulled the power, and noticed there was still a light inside my case..... took a closer look, and yup, my brand new HDD had just ignited the plastic of the HDD bay on fire. I quickly blew that out, and pulled the drive out. A portion of the plastic got melted onto the HDD's logic board, but there appeared to be no damage on the second drive. Booted up again (with my hand on the power just in case), and the second drive didn't show up in the BIOS. Pull that one out to take a closer look, and sure enough in the exact same spot on the logic board there was a burned up component (just no melted plastic). I'm RMA-ing the drives, and hopefully I got just 2 bad ones out of the bunch. And if you're wondering, I was using the same power rail that also goes to my OS drive, so I'm doubting my PSU caused the trouble."

I hope this is not a general problem. If you are using the RED in your QNAP, please give your feedback and advice whether it is any better than the Seagate or Hitachi 3TBs (low rpm consumer grades).
Subraid
Starting out

AW:

Post by Subraid »

Running 3 2TB in a 419P+ as RAID5 without problems so far.
greencat
New here

Post by greencat »

Managed to bag 2 WD 2TB RED drives last week from www.scan.co.uk and no problems so far in my 219P II with fw 3.7.1
Very little vibration, run cool and most importantly no dropouts from the RAID so far.
Admittedly this is only a test/support setup but I'm trying to trash them (restarts, SMART tests, backups etc).
I've had an ongoing problem with a Seagate ST2000DM001 HDU on a customer's 219P II which drops out of the RAID but tests ok on SMART, seatools etc.
Firmware update to CC4H made no difference and it fell out of the RAID at 6am this morning again.
Looks like it's a duffer so I will return it for warranty.
Clarke
Starting out

Post by Clarke »

My co-worker and I received our RED drives and installed it in our TS-669.

RAID 5 config was easy. Took about 12 hour to finish to sync. Out of 12 drives, none of them was DOA. Good sign!

These drives are extremely quiet. I'm super impressed. With 6 drives spinning and the NAS, it's barely noticeable at home or at work. I love it.

As for the speed, I haven't done benchmarks via gigabit. Just transfer via ESATA and USB, but no actual figures for anyone. Sorry.
TS-669 Pro
6x 3TB WD RED in RAID5
Gforce083
Starting out

Post by Gforce083 »

Anyone in the US having luck finding these for sale, at retail pricing? Newegg is down to 1TB models only, I need at least 2TB. Someone posted an Expansys UK link where they claim to have 100+ in stock and after shipping costs the US, it's a great price. However, I'm uncertain of buying from them.
NAS: QNAP TS-219P II
redgoblin
Know my way around

Post by redgoblin »

Gforce083 wrote:Expansys UK ... shipping costs the US
In short never import unless you can help it - the manufacturer's warranty won't be valid in your region.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

redgoblin wrote:
Gforce083 wrote:Expansys UK ... shipping costs the US
In short never import unless you can help it - the manufacturer's warranty won't be valid in your region.
Manufacturer warranties are not lost by exporting - this would break any trade agreements worldwide. The problem is on a different level - logistics:

- Most resellers are willing to claim warranty for material they have sold.
- Distributors/importers are not willing ot claim waranty on material they have not distributed/imported.

So in either case, you won't get any advantage from their services - still, this is not a loss of the manufacturer warranty - just makes htings difficult, slow, or alamost impossible.

No doubts: You can return materil for warranty claims to the organisation in charge in the country, from where you bought it. As in the USA, most manufacturers have thier own or designated service organsiations. Anywhere else, the cocntact for warranty claims is always the point of sales service organsiation.

For example, car manufacturers and their national distribution organisations are trying hard to not providing serivce and warranty parts / work for direct import cars. Some even prohibit dealiers in lower-price countries to export cars. BMW has got a claim of 150 MIo CHF for actively prohibiting their dealers exporting into Switzerland.

So taking this back to computer market, there can be OEM devices sold to the big manufacturers like Dell, HP, ... These parts are commonly excluded from the manufacturer warranty - because of the low price, the original customer takes over the waranty and service organiation.

I strongly doubt a manufacturer can deny their own standard waranty terms - exxcept of the material delivered was abused (water, vibration, shock, temperatures, ...) - and they can proof it.
sixian
New here

Post by sixian »

Just an assurance.
I have TS-119. Could you confirm that I can use both WD20EFRX and WD30EFRX?

Thank you
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

sixian wrote:I have TS-119. Could you confirm that I can use both WD20EFRX and WD30EFRX?
No you can't. Since you have a one-bay model NAS, you'll have to choose only one of them. 8)

Seriously, they are both on the Qnap disk compatibility list. With a disk that is only a few weeks old, that is probably the best assurance you can hope for at this point.
'
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
sixian
New here

Post by sixian »

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”