DC power for TS-809U

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
SageMajor
New here

DC power for TS-809U

Post by SageMajor »

Sorry if the this is the wrong place, I can't find anything about DC power.
We are moving our Servers and our new Colo does not have AC power and will not allow us to use DC to AC converter, the power supply needs to be internal to the box. Are there any DC power supplies I can get or does QNAP make a DC server?

My hardware vendor is telling me I need to change to a different brand but I have been happy with qnap
schumaku
Guru

Re: DC power for TS-809U

Post by schumaku »

Huch - operating a NAS in a pure 48 V DC Telco/POP environment? Can't think there are many NAS vendors offering 48 V DC stuff... or 400 Hz Military AC while talking. Consider a power converter (or two for redundancy - assuming there are multiple DC supplies available. Most former POP I?m aware of which expanded from PoP to host computing equipment have aded dual or tripple AC support.
SageMajor
New here

Post by SageMajor »

We can't use a power converter. That's what we do now but the new place won't let me use my dc to ac converter
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Strange co-location or hosting site not offering AC... Just very few fiber /copper-PoP or VDSL-cabinets (not to be used for housing or similar) are on -48 V DC here, co-loctaion and housing locations are AC - and most have all DC equipment removed over the years now.

Might be worth to challange QNAP for the availability of (I assume you talk of -48 V) DC power supplies here: usasales@qnap.com or sales@qnap.com
SageMajor
New here

Post by SageMajor »

schumaku wrote:Strange co-location or hosting site not offering AC... Just very few fiber /copper-PoP or VDSL-cabinets (not to be used for housing or similar) are on -48 V DC here, co-loctaion and housing locations are AC - and most have all DC equipment removed over the years now.

Might be worth to challange QNAP for the availability of (I assume you talk of -48 V) DC power supplies here: usasales@qnap.com or sales@qnap.com

They do offer AC but this is my only AC device so its not worth spending several hundred a month to get Dual AC circuits in for a single device.
SageMajor
New here

Post by SageMajor »

As an FYI to everyone. I contacted the power supply manufacturer (Zippy) and I was able to order a DC drop in replacement unit. It took about 3 months for them to come in, but I was able to re-use my QNAP.

Sage

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”