TS-219p II can find share via IP address but not DNS/sharena

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
sid247
New here

TS-219p II can find share via IP address but not DNS/sharena

Post by sid247 »

Hi

I've recently purchased a QNAP TS-219P II, i have set it up on firmware 3.7.3. The issue i am having is after i have created my shares from the admin page i am unable to see them on my laptop/pc's. I am using Windows 7 x64 and my router is a Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) which acts as the DHCP server. I have set the NAS with a static IP address and checked the sharename and DNS server details and all seem to be correct.

On my laptop's i am able to go to start run and type in \\192.168.1.100 and i can see the shares, but nothing appears for \\nas (that is what i called the NAS in the admin page). Even when i click on start>network and refresh nothing new appears except for in other items the QNAP which when double clicked on goes to an IE page of the admin

Does anyone know why this is occurring? or how to fix this issue? as id rather connect to the share using a name rather than an ip address.

thanks
schumaku
Guru

Re: TS-219p II can find share via IP address but not DNS/sha

Post by schumaku »

By DNS - Is there a DNS server on your network, resolving the hostname and/or FWDN of the NAS to an IP address (A record)?

If not ... there is no DNS in the game at all, which would take priority. Much more it's WIndows NetBIOS over TCP/IP Name Resolution. Appears that some users are experiencing an issue wiht the name resolution if there are no other supporting systems on the same LAN. SImilar, the NAS does not appear in the network environment with the blue (Computer/Server) icon.

A workaround sometimes sugested is enabling WINS on the NAS - however, tis will prohibit the HDD spindown.

In my opinion, this is a QNAP NAS issue, indeed - reported many times, still not addressed.
pwilson
Guru

Re: TS-219p II can find share via IP address but not DNS/sha

Post by pwilson »

sid247 wrote:Hi

I've recently purchased a QNAP TS-219P II, i have set it up on firmware 3.7.3. The issue i am having is after i have created my shares from the admin page i am unable to see them on my laptop/pc's. I am using Windows 7 x64 and my router is a Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) which acts as the DHCP server. I have set the NAS with a static IP address and checked the sharename and DNS server details and all seem to be correct.

On my laptop's i am able to go to start run and type in \\192.168.1.100 and i can see the shares, but nothing appears for \\nas (that is what i called the NAS in the admin page). Even when i click on start>network and refresh nothing new appears except for in other items the QNAP which when double clicked on goes to an IE page of the admin

Does anyone know why this is occurring? or how to fix this issue? as id rather connect to the share using a name rather than an ip address.

thanks
As you are using a "Static IP address", it is not registering it's Name via the DHCP/DNS server of your Router, so the name "NAS" is not registered with either WINS or DNS, hence the "\\NAS" not working.

Why don't you setup "Address Reservation" for your NAS? See pp37-38 of the NetGear WNDR-4500 User Manual to setup "Address Reservation". Thereafter access the WebUI of your NAS, configure it for DHCP rather than static IP address, and restart it. This should cause your NAS to get the "reserved" 192.168.1.100 address you defined in the Address Reservation of the Router, but also register the name properly in it's DNS server, which will hopefully allow your Local machines to be able to find "\\NAS".

Caveat: I am a NetGear WNDR3700 owner, rather than a WNDR4500 owner, I do NOT however use Netgear's Firmware so I do not know if it implements DHCP/DNS properly under it's own firmware. When you do a "IPCONFIG /ALL" command from a Command Prompt on a Windows PC which picks up its IP via DHCP, does it list "192.168.1.1" as both your "Gateway" and your "DNS Server"? If it does, then you should attempt the change I listed above. If it does not, then my suggestion will probably not provide the relief you are seeking.

If you'd care to post the output of a "IPCONFIG /ALL" command from a Command Prompt on a Windows PC which picks up its IP via DHCP, I would be happy to examine it's output for you. Simply post the output to this Forum.

In my opinion this is NOT a QNAP issue. With a properly working "Local DNS", your network machines should be able to find your NAS under it's "\\NAS" name, but as you are using "Static IP assignment, your NAS is not registering it's name against it's IP address.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”