Mounting screws for WD4000FYYZ ????

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
qn00b
Know my way around

Mounting screws for WD4000FYYZ ????

Post by qn00b »

Hello,

Trying to setup a TS-669 Pro for a friend.
He has bought 3pc of WD RE 4TB drives (WD4000FYYZ).
The hard drive mounting screws provided by QNAP do NOT work with these drives. :cry:
This WD hard drive model has very very shallow threaded mounting holes and the holes in the drives are NOT open ended like most drives - the mounting holes have a set depth to them.
I have not found any mounting screws with the bevelled heads that will allow these WD HDDs to be installed into the QNAP drive trays.
The screws really need to be almost half as long as the ones QNAP provides.

Does anyone have any suggestions here ???

Thanks !

qN00b
LenovoEMC px12-450r, QC Xeon, 16Gb RAM, 8 x ST33000651AS ~ RAID5, Hosting Debian Wheezy VM
Backing up to 5 x ST32000644NS ~ RAID0 in a Lian Li EX-50 (eSATA) + 2 x WD 6TB MyBook (USB 2.0)
schumaku
Guru

Re: Mounting screws for WD4000FYYZ ????

Post by schumaku »

Shock - Superglue? Half length would translate to about 3 mm or less than two turns - doubt that's anywhere near ASTM.

Knowledge Base -Frequently Asked Questions - Mounting hole and screw information for 3.5 " Eide, 3.5 SATA, and 2.5" Scorpio hard drives Answer ID 469 | Last Updated 01/19/2012

Drawing: http://support.wdc.com/images/kb/3_5_emount.jpg

As per the (only!) WDC specs (for all HDD): 0.25" or about 6.34 mm max. screw penetration.

Therefore, the hole must be deeper than 0.25", as there are no tools to cut the threads down to the ground. Unless I'm wrong the shortest thread length is 3/16" - this is what the screws supplied have, plus the extra flat head.
qn00b
Know my way around

Post by qn00b »

There is LOTS of room if one were able to install the screws on the SIDE mounting holes of the WD 4TB drives, but the drive trays don't offer that option.
The BOTTOM mounting holes are very very shallow. I have attached a picture.
The bevelled screws provided by QNAP need to be ~2mm shorter. Right now when they are fully seated they stick out so the tray will not slide into the QNAP unit at all.
When we attempted to place spacers between the tray and drive, that solved the screws-not-fluedh issue but then the SATA interface does not line up with the back plane.
We are about to send the WD drives back and get Seagate or Hitachi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LenovoEMC px12-450r, QC Xeon, 16Gb RAM, 8 x ST33000651AS ~ RAID5, Hosting Debian Wheezy VM
Backing up to 5 x ST32000644NS ~ RAID0 in a Lian Li EX-50 (eSATA) + 2 x WD 6TB MyBook (USB 2.0)
LarsN
Experience counts

Post by LarsN »

We provide two types of screws with the NAS, one set for 2.5-inch drives and one set for 3.5-inch drives. The two types of screws have different threads and 3.5-inch drives uses what's known as 6-32 screws. This is a standard used on all 3.5-inch drives, so if the supplied screws don't fit, then you're either using the wrong screws, or you've somehow mixed up the screws that came with the NAS with the ones that were supplied with the hard drives which would have larger heads than the ones we supply.
Judging by your picture, you've got standard drives with standard mounting holes that use the 6-32 type screws.
It's a bit hard to see from this picture, but as you can see from the package content, there are two types of screws provided http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=e ... n=9788&g=3
24 for 3.5-inch drives an 18 for 2.5-inch drives (due to them only being fastened with three screws).
The picture below shows a bit more detail, although it might not be exactly what we provide, but it should be very similar.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@qn00b,

I had the same problem with screws bottoming in some disks. I think it is my Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 that is slightly more shallow than the other models I use.

When examining the remaining Qnap supplied screws I noticed they differ in length. Since I have several Qnaps I started to look for the shortest screws I have and after a bit of swapping I had enough short screws to mount said disks. Maybe you could try the same thing?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
LarsN
Experience counts

Post by LarsN »

Well, ignore my post above as far as this specific hard drive model is concerned. For whatever reason, WD has changed the spec of the screw holes, don't ask me why.
qn00b, please get in touch with support and we'll get some different screws sent out. Due to WD's changes, we're providing a different type of screws with the products we're shipping now that works just fine with the RE 4 drives, but for anyone with this problem, just get in touch with QNAP's support and they'll arrange for new screws to be sent out free of charge.
qn00b
Know my way around

Post by qn00b »

I will get in touch with support ASAP !

Very glad to know that I am not crazy ! :D
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

qn00b wrote:Very glad to know that I am not crazy ! :D
Nobody said so... it's just crazy WDC dos not follow their own specs, and don't post any exceptions from tier own specs!
aknewhope
New here

Post by aknewhope »

I just received my TS 559 Pro from Amazon and ordered 5 Western Digital WD2000FYYZ RE4 2 TB SATA 3(6 Gbps) drives. Unfortunatley the screws are too long. They measure 1/4" in length(from top of head as flat head screws are measured). They make 3/16" 6-32 flat head screws commonly. I have emailed QNAP support asking for some shorter screws as my hard drives are not very secure, but I can slide them in still(I cant freaking wait for longer screws). Thanks for this post as it helped me figure out that I am not alone and thankfully QNAP actually monitors these forums and responds. Good first impression from QNAP. :)
LarsN
Experience counts

Post by LarsN »

Did they get back to you about this?
qn00b
Know my way around

Post by qn00b »

The correct WD RE screws finally did arrive here last week.
LarsN
Experience counts

Post by LarsN »

Hmmm... not exactly express service, but glad to hear you got them in the end.
qn00b
Know my way around

Post by qn00b »

Screws shipped from QNAP in Taiwan to the QNAP distributor in Canada, then from that distributor to us.
It's not exactly around the corner :)
donmesserli
New here

Post by donmesserli »

From reading this thread, I see that the screws QNAP shipped previously were #6-32 x 1/4". I have seen those screws available with 100 degree and 82 degree head angles. Which of these if correct for my TS209? Also, should they be undercut heads or not?
LarsN
Experience counts

Post by LarsN »

No idea what you're referring to here, they're standard hard drive screws, just slightly shorter, although the heads in this case needs to be "funnel shaped" so they can go into the recesses in the drive trays, similar to the ones in the picture below.
But if you have the wrong screws, just contact support and they'll send you some free of charge.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”