Seagate ST4000DM000

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
fantomas
Experience counts

Re: Seagate ST4000DM000

Post by fantomas »

nibbles wrote: I had a chance to install them and here's some details of my own setup:
[...]
However had some initial trouble with using Raid 1 Mirror
- Initial formating would fail
- retried second attempt - format was successful
- Had to perform a full power down 1st (removed power) and restart which helped
- Process Completed at: 2013-03-26 1 03:17:51
System 127.0.0.1 localhost [Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 5 6] Resyncing done.
I would consider this as a warning. If any of those disks failed already, it may fail again. and with JBOD you won't have any redundancy...
well, it may work without problems but I would not rely on that
experience with administration of UN*X (mostly linux) and applications on internet servers since 1994...
radica2000
First post

Post by radica2000 »

Hello guys,
I bought 4 of these and put in my Ts-869 PRO , configuring a volume raid 0: all is perfect and I had no problems !!
The drives work fine and are very quiet.
I'm very happy !!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
mtj1982
Starting out

Post by mtj1982 »

radica2000 wrote:Hello guys,
I bought 4 of these and put in my Ts-869 PRO , configuring a volume raid 0: all is perfect and I had no problems !!
The drives work fine and are very quiet.
I'm very happy !!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Hi radica, why would you configure them in a RAID0 arary, when in fact you have RAID5 and RAID6 available? If one drive fails, you know what happens right?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

mtj1982 wrote:If one drive fails, you know what happens right?
By rule of thumb? I give you some ideas: Ranting about the bad NAS, poor HDD quality find there is no backup, rebuild the RAID0 with 7 drives, restore backup, get the repaired HDD back, find restore still running, once restore finished add the drive, rand about the inability to add the 8th drive to the RAID0, so start from scratch with an 8-HDD RAID0, restore backup, ...ranting about slow backup/restore, looking for another NAS, ... blah.

Can't wait for ... from :D :D :D :D :D :D to :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :( :( :( :( :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: is not very long when using RAID0, JBOD, ....
ipahophead
New here

Post by ipahophead »

So was there a conclusion? I have a TS-219P currently with a pair of 3T WD30EZRX drives; it has been working just fine in a mirror config yet I have not stressed it at all.

I'd like more storage space; I'm considering a move to 4T drives. The ST4000DM000 is $190 compared to "officially approved" drives running more than 2x (~$390+)
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi,
ST4000DM000 has just been passed and will be on the web list by next week.
webdevii
Starting out

Post by webdevii »

Chris16TB wrote:Problem is fixed, array is rebuilding with the 4TB drive in. I will assume that since these drives came out of USB enclosures that was the reason they needed to be wiped before use. Dont imagine I'll have any issues growing it to 16TB after they are all in either, but ill report back when its done.
Greets Chris,
I was thinking about using the Seagate 4TB drives, I have the TS659-Pro-II unit currently with 5 2TB drives installed, running firmware v 3.8.2.
I am wondering if they will work as well..

Thanks In advance
Dev
animaleyes76
Know my way around

Post by animaleyes76 »

QNAPJason wrote:Hi,
Cheers Jason :D
ipahophead
New here

Post by ipahophead »

QNAPJason wrote:Hi,
Jason: Thanks for the quick reply; great news
vishal
Starting out

Post by vishal »

works for me on 412 in raid 1. migrated from 1.5tbs raid 1

@alaindewitt put them in a enclosure and connect via usb to nas. format from external drives screen to ext4.
then follow new large drive procedure from tutorials
AUSTraveler
New here

Post by AUSTraveler »

TS-809 Pro running FW 3.8.2. After 3 years, it was time to upgrade storage capacity. Came across this thread indicating that the new Seagate 4TB drives are supported.

Original Setup
Bays 1-4: RAID5 using an ext3 FS on Seagate 1.5TB disks (ST31500341AS)
Bay 8: Single volume on ext4 (750GB Seagate)

Target Setup
Bays 1-5: RAID6 using an ext4 FS on ST4000DM000s
Bays 7-8: RAID1 using an ext4 FS on 2 of the 1.5TB disks

I ordered my drives from 2 vendors in 3 different orders. Paid expedited shipping for the first drive so that I could move most of my data there. Then ordered 2 more drives from each vendor just in case any single batch had problems. Strangely enough, each order had different firmware revisions, but https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html says there is no newer firmware for these serial numbers. All drives show Product of Thailand.

Order 1 (temp staging drive):
Date: 13311; FW: CC51

Order 2:
Date: 13401; FW: CC52
Date: 13401; FW: CC52

Order 3:
Date: 13213; FW: CC43
Date: 13232; FW: CC43

First, I moved the data to the temp 4TB drive and removed the RAID5 array. I took two of the 1.5TB drives and used them to upgrade my single drive Bay 8 volume to a RAID1 volume using Bays 7 & 8. This volume is primarily used for TimeMachine backups.

While that volume was being created and set up, I tried to run bad block scans on all the new 4TB drives that arrived. At one point, the scans were near 80% complete, and the server rebooted itself. Not sure what happened, but I didn't get any alerts.

Also, with the 4TB drives in their new homes, I was not able to get the NAS to recognize a drive in Bay 3. The light would come on and drive would spin up, but the web console said no drive present. I eventually powered down the system and restarted after reseating all drives. That worked.

Created the RAID6 array with 4 drives, ran bad block scans on all drives in the array, and moved the data back. Took about 3 days to do all of that. Bad block scans took about 23 hrs when running all 4 in parallel. Now, adding the 5th drive into the array. You can see how slow it is http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 48#p339548.

Because I created the RAID1 volume in Bays 7 & 8 before the new RAID6 volume was created, the NAS numbered the RAID1 volume md0 and mounted it at /share/MD0_DATA. I have other things that expected MD0_DATA to be on the RAID6 volume. I was able to renumber the volumes by doing the following.

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/services.sh stop
umount /share/MD0_DATA
umount /share/MD1_DATA
Renumbering link I found - http://www.jross.org/recreation/compute ... md-device/ which includes the parameter for updating the superblocks.

Code: Select all

mdadm --stop /dev/md0
mdadm --remove /dev/md0
mdadm --stop /dev/md1
mdadm --remove /dev/md1
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sd[abcd]3 --update=name
mdadm --assemble /dev/md1 /dev/sd[gh]3 --update=name
I also updated /etc/config/raidtab and /etc/config/smb.conf to correct references to the devices & shares. A reboot later, and the volumes were mounted where I wanted them.

Will be glad when it's done and I have the extra space. Other than speed of setup, it's been pretty uneventful.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

AUSTraveler wrote:TS-809 Pro running FW 3.8.2. After 3 years, it was time to upgrade storage capacity. Came across this thread indicating that the new Seagate 4TB drives are supported.
Target Setup
I cannot see any indication in this thread about these drives being supported, plus this forum (500+ posts thread), many other NAS vendor forums and the web worldwide is flooded with users complaining about bad experience with the entire ST?000DM00? product line. I fail to see how is using this in a huge RAID-6 setup a good idea. These drives give trouble even in non-RAID setups, absolutely unsuitable for the purpose you stated.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
AUSTraveler
New here

Post by AUSTraveler »

doktornotor wrote:
AUSTraveler wrote:TS-809 Pro running FW 3.8.2. After 3 years, it was time to upgrade storage capacity. Came across this thread indicating that the new Seagate 4TB drives are supported.
Target Setup
I cannot see any indication in this thread about these drives being supported, plus this forum (500+ posts thread), many other NAS vendor forums and the web worldwide is flooded with users complaining about bad experience with the entire ST?000DM00? product line. I fail to see how is using this in a huge RAID-6 setup a good idea. These drives give trouble even in non-RAID setups, absolutely unsuitable for the purpose you stated.
Scroll up on this same thread - http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 15#p335900

Here is the official supported list as well - http://www.qnap.com/en/?sn=3877 which lists the ST4000DM000 without any Notes.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

AUSTraveler wrote: Here is the official supported list as well - http://www.qnap.com/en/?sn=3877 which lists the ST4000DM000 without any Notes.
Have fun with the crappy drives. :roll:
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
animaleyes76
Know my way around

Post by animaleyes76 »

doktornotor wrote:
AUSTraveler wrote: Here is the official supported list as well - http://www.qnap.com/en/?sn=3877 which lists the ST4000DM000 without any Notes.
Have fun with the crappy drives. :roll:

+1

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”