Anyone know if USB 3.0 wireless ac will work with QNAP NAS?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
themaidenmaniac
New here

Anyone know if USB 3.0 wireless ac will work with QNAP NAS?

Post by themaidenmaniac »

Hi guys,

I'm looking at putting together a *cringe* fully wireless NAS setup currently having recently picked up an ac router. To get the best out of it, I am trying to find either a compatible dual band wireless n dongle, or if really lucky, compatibility with one of the new usb 3.0 wireless ac dongles.

Wondering if anybody has had any luck trying one so far, or whether there are any recommendations for quickest wireless n dongle?

Many thanks

Kev

P.S

I know the setup is generally ill advised, but i'm keen to give this a try before giving in to wired.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Anyone know if USB 3.0 wireless ac will work with QNAP N

Post by pwilson »

themaidenmaniac wrote:Hi guys,

I'm looking at putting together a *cringe* fully wireless NAS setup currently having recently picked up an ac router. To get the best out of it, I am trying to find either a compatible dual band wireless n dongle, or if really lucky, compatibility with one of the new usb 3.0 wireless ac dongles.

Wondering if anybody has had any luck trying one so far, or whether there are any recommendations for quickest wireless n dongle?

Many thanks

Kev

P.S

I know the setup is generally ill advised, but i'm keen to give this a try before giving in to wired.
I somehow doubt that any of the supported Wi-Fi Dongles listed on the QNAP USB Wi-Fi Compatibility List support either USB3.0 or 802-11ac. (I could be wrong!).

My opinions of using Wi-Fi with a File Server (NAS (sic)) are already well known, so I'll save you hearing it again...

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
themaidenmaniac
New here

Thanks Patrick.

Do you really think it would be that bad? I might be looking at the situation wrong. I assumed I should be able to get achieve around 180 meg transfer rate if all was hooked up on the ac standard. Have I overlooked something?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

themaidenmaniac wrote:Do you really think it would be that bad? I might be looking at the situation wrong. I assumed I should be able to get achieve around 180 meg transfer rate if all was hooked up on the ac standard. Have I overlooked something?
I think it is far worse than you are suggesting... :shock:

The throughput you are suggesting is highly unlikely, even in an ideal world. Presently supported Wi-Fi dongles can't even provide 130 Mbps rate, and if accessing the NAS from another Wi-Fi device, this would cut that pathetic number in half, as the Wi-Fi connection at the router would have to service both the File Server (NAS (sic)) and the Wi-Fi client, which would provide each with only 65 Mbps (max theortical speed), assuming no other Wi-Fi devices were also attempting to use the Router.

I was trying to save you from my usual spiel, but you did ask for further information. Why paralyse your NAS? Connect it directly to your Router via Ethernet. This provides a Gigabit connection to the NAS, that other Gigabit devices can use at full speed too, and as the NAS isn't needlessly using 50% of the Wi-Fi bandwidth at the Router, it allows your portable devices to get the fastest Wi-Fi connection possible as they don't have to rely on the Router being able to flip back and forth between the portable device and the NAS with it's limited Wi-Fi bandwidth. Besides if 1000 Mbps is possible why would you settle for only 65 Mbps unless you had to.

I wouldn't use Wi-Fi as the network interface on my NAS even if 802.11ac was possible. Wi-Fi is grossly inadequate for a File Server. I've said it before, and I'll continue to say it. As best I can tell QNAP added this functionality in order to do a "feature match" with competing NAS manufacturers. It was a flawed concept in the first place, so I still can't understand why QNAP offers it.

As far as I'm concerned it is a feature that should be ripped out of the Firmware, as users foolish enough to attempt it are always disappointed with the performance, and some will blame QNAP for the lousy performance it offers, when in reality it is simply a "stupid idea" in the first place. Users are foolish to attempt to use it, and QNAP is foolish to even offer it as a option. (Except for NAS owners actually using the HDStation/XBMC functionality, you don't need to "see" your NAS in order to work with it, so connect it to your Gigabit Router with the fastest, most reliable, Network connection possible).

I''ll get off my soapbox now.... Have a great day!

Patrick.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

themaidenmaniac
New here

Thanks for the detailed response Patrick! I hadn't taken into account the wifi I/o issue there. I'll bin that "plan" before I risk joining the wireless nas fail club in that case.
vincentcox
Starting out

Post by vincentcox »

Hi Patrick,

I don't fully agree with you. You have some good arguments, but sometimes people (like me) just want to use wifi.
With a compatible wifi dongle, you are able to put your nas anywhere in the house. No need for a lan connection.
It works fine when you use it for basic tasks like streaming, web server, etc. Of course you are right: LAN cables do have much higher troughput and speed.
But not all people need the speed. Some people just want to use it with wifi.
But I am using it for a few days now, I really like the portability. I can put it everywhere I want.
If I need to transfer big files, I just connect my computer via a lan connection.

I have bought my nas a couple days ago, and I was also trying to get it working.
I managed to do that by doing this:
- check your usb wifi dongle in the list here http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Compatible/In ... B_Wireless
- if its compatible, plug it in and restart
- you have to wait a few minutes after the long beep. (short beep when you turn it on, and after a few minutes you get a long beep. Then wait a few minutes)
- go to the settings ==> network ==> wireless
- connect to your wifi network (enter your passcode and check the "connect automaticly")
- configurate your wlan connection via a static ip:
example:
picture: http://image.bayimg.com/d77262c9062942a ... 952c9e.jpg
- to get your nas "really" attached to the internet (so you can download apps in the appmanager, serve as webserver,..)
you have to use your wifi as a default gateway:
picture:http://image.bayimg.com/053df8110b083f8 ... 9108f8.jpg

Now it should work BUT keep in mind that sometimes after a reboot, it doesnt work always.
you have 2 options: reboot again or connect your computer via the ethernet cable of your nas to your nas (direct connection).
go to 169.254.100.100:8080 to login, and enable your wifi again.

Yeah, you got some trouble when you reboot/turn off, but once it is up, it stays up.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

I vote for removing WiFi support: The effort to keep drivers current, to get ARM, 32- an 64-bit based drivers for new chipsets, lack of performance, lack of reliability, is ways beyond the added value. Mobile phones, tables, netbooks, notebooks ... these are portable devices - a NAS is not portable by design: It requires power, and at least one network cable.
vincentcox wrote:It works fine when you use it for basic tasks like streaming, web server, etc.
On such an unreliable and variable performance media like a wireless network? Can't hear people reporting issues with whatever issues on - not really NAS related, but wireless players, wireless streamers, PS3, ... even my Mac or my Windows wireless does just copy x Mb/s. If your WiFi connection is preforming reasonable fast - you can use a cable straight away.

Last but not least: No USB WiFi adapters are intended to serve infrastructure, and most are ways off the basic performance compared to a modern wireless router or access point does provide. What is sufficient to connect a mobile phone - being 65 Mb/s, 150 Mb/s, or the like for slim line 802.11n does provide just a fraction of a Fast Ethernet. For something reasonable fast, you need an almost free line of sight and an N300 system ... that makes about a Fast Ethernet. And duh ... now I will hear Gigabit Wireless or 802.11ac. Yes, I have some of these toys here, too.
vincentcox wrote:Now it should work BUT keep in mind that sometimes after a reboot, it doesnt work always. you have 2 options: reboot again or connect your computer via the ethernet cable of your nas to your nas (direct connection).go to 169.254.100.100:8080 to login, and enable your wifi again.Yeah, you got some trouble when you reboot/turn off, but once it is up, it stays up.
Exactly on how the majority of NAS owners expect a NAS to work. Sometimes, being nice to it, wait long, reboot, hug it, put some affection, ... Glad it works for you, and it makes you happy. For me ... start reading from top again.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

vincentcox wrote:Hi Patrick,

I don't fully agree with you. You have some good arguments, but sometimes people (like me) just want to use wifi.
With a compatible wifi dongle, you are able to put your nas anywhere in the house. No need for a lan connection.
It works fine when you use it for basic tasks like streaming, web server, etc. Of course you are right: LAN cables do have much higher troughput and speed.
But not all people need the speed. Some people just want to use it with wifi.
But I am using it for a few days now, I really like the portability. I can put it everywhere I want.
If I need to transfer big files, I just connect my computer via a lan connection.

I have bought my nas a couple days ago, and I was also trying to get it working.
I managed to do that by doing this:
- check your usb wifi dongle in the list here http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Compatible/In ... B_Wireless
- if its compatible, plug it in and restart
- you have to wait a few minutes after the long beep. (short beep when you turn it on, and after a few minutes you get a long beep. Then wait a few minutes)
- go to the settings ==> network ==> wireless
- connect to your wifi network (enter your passcode and check the "connect automaticly")
- configurate your wlan connection via a static ip:
example:
picture: http://image.bayimg.com/d77262c9062942a ... 952c9e.jpg
- to get your nas "really" attached to the internet (so you can download apps in the appmanager, serve as webserver,..)
you have to use your wifi as a default gateway:
picture:http://image.bayimg.com/053df8110b083f8 ... 9108f8.jpg

Now it should work BUT keep in mind that sometimes after a reboot, it doesnt work always.
you have 2 options: reboot again or connect your computer via the ethernet cable of your nas to your nas (direct connection).
go to 169.254.100.100:8080 to login, and enable your wifi again.

Yeah, you got some trouble when you reboot/turn off, but once it is up, it stays up.
You are under no obligation to agree with me. Good luck.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

pwilson wrote:You are under no obligation to agree with me. Good luck.
The OP provided the perfect reasons why Wi-Fi support must be dropped from the product :roll: - not happy about?

Unless I'm wrong, the Linksys WUSB600N is a dual-band unit for example. No clue if it works on 5 GHz - the Linksys AE1000 (for long the one and only dual-band supported) silently disappeared from the compatibility list after my complaints it's not set-up properly by the NAS to work on 5 GHz.

Very unlikely there is an AC client with the same chipset, the same USB ID, and sharing the same driver lack of unified driver models in this crappy consumer Wi-Fi business (must work on Windows, no manufacturer cares about other operating systems) where chipsets are changing much faster than product numbers.

Yes - it works: Plug an external 802.11ac wireless Ethernet adapter or range extender to the GbE port. No driver support required.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

1/ Never use WiFi for NAS.
2/ Never use USB WiFi for any purpose whatsoever. These are pure POS.
3/ See above.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

P.S. If you insist on using WiFi, get a proper AP with LAN ports.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
vincentcox
Starting out

Post by vincentcox »

I respect al your opinions, my intention was to post a small guide for those who want to use a compatible wifi dongle.
I mentioned clearly that it does not work perfectly all of the time, it's something that people have to concider when they want to start with this.
Looks like it's a sensitive topic here...
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Thank you for the valid efforts.
vincentcox wrote:Looks like it's a sensitive topic here...
Afraid, yes. something that is known to be unreliable wont' get a lot of backing. Something that is known to get unreliable performance, won't get much backing here, too.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”