WD40EFRX - LoadCycleCount issue is back?!

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
ihartley
Know my way around

Re: WD40EFRX - LoadCycleCount issue is back?!

Post by ihartley »

Over 3 years this works out at 157 LCC/day for a RED WD. But then the rated LCC is of course related to MTBF, and doesn't specify whether this just includes LCC (probably) or spin-down/up cycle also. Basically, all the numbers are meaningless....

I have no idea why WD would unload the heads if not to spindown, but they don't say that. Maybe there are other benefits, but they don't say that either..... One day, someone will come along in this industry and be honest - and they will sell a lot of drives on the back of it :-)
Paollo
Starting out

Post by Paollo »

Tnank you mnuesser. Your solution works fine on my x69L and 40EFRXs. This is valuable solution not only for EFRX useres who should remove WD's strange default settings, but also pushes less experienced users to think how simple is compiling process in linux systems and maybe crashes they anxieties.

IMHO worth to mension: on clean system installing automake packet doesn't install make nor tar commands, so install make packet ("ipkg install make" and "ipkg install tar"), also "-f" switch is applicable - not "-F".
Last edited by Paollo on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scorpydude
Getting the hang of things

Post by scorpydude »

What an absolute joke, check this out... brought this WD a few days ago... check out that load/unload count already after three days.

Seriously fu$@ed :evil:
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

scorpydude wrote:What an absolute joke, check this out... brought this WD a few days ago... check out that load/unload count already after three days.
You need to bug WD with questions about LCC on Windows, not QNAP.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

doktornotor wrote:You need to bug WD with questions about LCC on Windows, not QNAP.
The same applies to _all_ WDC drive usage. Off QNAP responsibility if the WDC firmware default configuration does s**t.
scorpydude

Post by scorpydude »

No **? I've already posted to WD forums. This is to warn qnap users that the problem still exists as of today.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

scorpydude wrote:No **? I've already posted to WD forums. This is to warn qnap users that the problem still exists as of today.
No need to warn anyone here - as the subject shows the issue is well known, and workarounds exist for those who want to deal with. I would not hesitate to send any WD Red with extreme high LCC to warranty exchange - because this stupid default is clearly is a WDC issue.
ihartley
Know my way around

Post by ihartley »

AND insist on new drives, not re-certified, and Advance RMA with pre-paid post both ways. WDC problem, WDC fix it.
GoetzVonBerlichingen
Know my way around

Post by GoetzVonBerlichingen »

QNAP's money. QNAP's house. QNAP's rules.

I am a little surprised that this Forum's administrators/moderators decided to start selectively deleting my posts beginning mid-October 2014. I was given no notice that I had violated some rule, nor a notice that my posts were being deleted. Readers should understand that the content you read has been selectively edited to ensure QNAP remains happy. It's almost as if this "Community Forum" is, in fact, intended to be a Potemkin village, and not a real community.

E'er the helpful type, I elected to help them eradicate traces of me, and deleted the contents of this post on 1 November 2014.
Last edited by GoetzVonBerlichingen on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Several users who've volunteered their time and effort to provide assistance to QNAP owners via this Community Forum have chosen to no longer tolerate being ignored (被忽略) by QNAP ... concerning their requests regarding operation of the forum. QNAP owns, manages, and administers this forum in the manner they see fit.

Those that choose to contribute, must accept QNAP's stance, because with respect to administration/management, it's:

It's my choice, however, whether to play along. Several of my posts were deleted out of hand -- with neither notice nor prior warning -- by a chicken-$hit moderator or administrator ... 'working' behind the scenes, and with no attribution. While no great loss <g> ... I'll join those that no longer contribute.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

I'm aware from aware the numbers are coming - fact is "normal" users have no idea about and can't control the behaviour. With these defaults, the WDC are not fit for purpose, and users should claim warranty exchange ASAP.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
ihartley
Know my way around

Post by ihartley »

NOT warranty exchanges. NEW, fit for purpose, drives. With a completely NEW warranty. If it were a car, it would be a lemon!
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

schumaku wrote:users should claim warranty exchange ASAP.
WD will not Exchange the drives as they will not accept this as a warranty case.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Ha, they set the default to 7 seconds on these drives in question - obvious warranty case, broken on delivery. Read: At least for two year in the EU!

I'm sorry - this issue happens on any NAS, on any computer. Who else but WDC is in error here?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

johnripper wrote:
schumaku wrote:users should claim warranty exchange ASAP.
WD will not Exchange the drives as they will not accept this as a warranty case.
Then you need to sue them... pretty simple. Ranting here will not help at all.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
scorpydude

Post by scorpydude »

There is also the question of changing the head park timeout from 8seconds to 300seconds... what will that mean for the wear on the drive platters where the heads sit for those 300seconds?

Over on the WD forum the WD guys have confirmed that if you change it from 8 to 300 the heads to not go to the 'holding area' or whatever it's called during that time. They just sit on the platter as it spins, wearing it away.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”