Digital Asset Management Options…could these work?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
James211
Getting the hang of things

Digital Asset Management Options…could these work?

Post by James211 »

I'm looking for a self hosted digital asset management program that could run on my qnap. These two programs fit the bill, but I'm not sure if they would work, and if they could, how would I go about installing them?

http://razuna.org/download

http://www.dbgallery.com

Any help, suggestions or advice is appreciated!

Thank you.
criminala
Know my way around

Re: Digital Asset Management Options…could these work?

Post by criminala »

Have you tried any of them ? What were your experiences ?

Im kind of looking for this too (DAM software running on NAS) .
Qnap 459 pro II Turbo 3gb DDR3 -!- 4x4TB Hitachi 5900rpm RAID 5 -!- USB3 external 4TB Hitachi 7200rpm -!- Eaton Ellipse MAX 1500 UPS
James211

Post by James211 »

I never did get the information I needed to know if they would work or not. I'm kind of surprised someone has written a more robust option for this. One of my favorites is Rumpus because of the flexibility and customization it offers. Just not sure if it would run or how I could get it to run on a Qnap.
TS-470
Firmware: 4.1.1 build 1101
4 - Western Digital 2 TB 3.5-Inch WD Se SATA III 7200 RPM
criminala
Know my way around

Post by criminala »

I just checked out Rumpus but its not exactly what Im looking for personally . The 2 options in your beginpost are targetting picture database system/collection , while Rumpus is a file transfer utility .

As far as I can see the standard qnap OS already has most of the Rumpus features implemented , if not more . FTP , link sharing , qfile for mobile , email files etc. . Rumpus is something COMPLETELY different than Razuna .
Im looking for a DAM for pictures/videos that I can also install on my next nas , even if its another brand than qnap (it probably is) . It can be client/server based , or it can be web/server based for me .

Guess ill have to look a little further :)
Qnap 459 pro II Turbo 3gb DDR3 -!- 4x4TB Hitachi 5900rpm RAID 5 -!- USB3 external 4TB Hitachi 7200rpm -!- Eaton Ellipse MAX 1500 UPS
James211

Post by James211 »

You're correct, I'm sorry for that misguidance. For some reason I had in mind a client side solution which is another struggle I'm dealing with at the moment.
TS-470
James211

Post by James211 »

FYI, I just found an email from Razuna support, they said that provided you can run java 6 on the linux software, razuna should run fine. I just don't have a clue how to install it (it being Razuna).
TS-470
criminala
Know my way around

Post by criminala »

I found your post on their forums . They did not have much guidance :)

Seems like not many people try to install it on their NASs . Anyway I installed and configured it . But 2 issues so Im not going to test anything until both are resolved . I have contacted them trough the inapp feedback form .

The 2 issues are :

1- I keep getting the error Exiftool is not properly installed . While it is . Plus when I check the settings it sais its path is OK .

2- second issue is when I create a new user and a tenant , the user can not log in .
James211

Post by James211 »

Interesting...keep me posted on what you find out. I had tried their software a while back on my mac mini server but had issues with previews. I installed again yesterday to test out their latest build, and once again, I'm having preview problems. Jpegs are fine, its with RAW files, layered tiffs and psds that seem to be the issue.
TS-470
criminala
Know my way around

Post by criminala »

If images dont show . Seems theres either no suitable plugin installed (DCRAW or something) or the path to the plugin is not correct . Or the fileformat is just unsupported at all .

Btw i tried to delete and login the newly created user a gazzilion times , suddenly i can log in . VERY strange . Ill try to test some things and see how it works/performs .
James211

Post by James211 »

Everything is installed and updated, paths have been verified and I even verified with DCRAW and ufRaw that the RAW formats are supported. I wrote razuna support yesterday and sent them an RAF file and they are looking into it. They have not addressed the psd and tiff issue yet.
TS-470
criminala
Know my way around

Post by criminala »

Razuna helpdesk is pretty bad from what i have read and seen . The mail i got back directed me to their wiki page . The wiki does not cover any of the issues I was facing .
The issues i ran into are most likely bugs from the newly released version , but they have no intention to investigate or look into it .
Also , they said best way to test is a 30 day trial on their website . I have no idea how I can test if it performs well on a NAS thats located at my home with that trial . I probably stumbeled upon a marketeer , complete bogus .

Im importing 20gbyte of pics as we speak . Curious how it will perform when all thats done . Most importanly if ExifTool is working as intented , because im still getting the error ExifTool is not properly installed! Please check your settings now. .
James211

Post by James211 »

I'm sure they want you to use their server so they can make money.

The forum seems to be more responsive than the help desk. I think part of the problems I'm running into are because I'm trying to store the assets outside of the root folder. I have an SSD boot drive so I don't want all those asset builds taking up space. The program didn't respond to symbolic links, so I'm playing with a few other things now. A bit frustrating but I guess that's what you get with open source software.
TS-470
criminala
Know my way around

Post by criminala »

The file "RIMG0023.JPG" could not be proccessed!
Database reported: The database has been closed [90098-174]
66. Adding: WP_20140414_008.jpg (3.5M)
We are so sorry. Something went wrong. We saved the error and you or your administrator can notify us of this error within the Administration.

OpenBD Internal Server Error
Need some help? Visit our manual http://openbd.org/manual/
The page you were executing caused an internal server error

Mkaaaay :)

So i sent them the error log . If they cant fix it I might leave it and look at other software .

Edit : got a reply which is pretty fast , altough they state to not help non paying customers and I should be posting in the forums , which makes sense .

Apparently the default installation does not set proper memory attributes . This should be done manually . If not , the chances seem high you will run into memory issues .
He directed me to this page : http://wiki.razuna.com/display/ecp/Adju ... for+Tomcat .
criminala
Know my way around

Post by criminala »

I restarted the instance , now i see a few pictures .
The performance is good .

What bothers me is that the pictures all have a modified date of today . It does not show the date on which the pictures are taken anywhere . So thats a big minus to me personally .. .

I checked a psd file and it shows properly . Also animated gifs show . I have not tested much more but Im afraid this software is not for me . Maybe even any web based solution is not for me .
I used iphoto on my macbook a couple of years ago , in fact I liked that more . But it doesnt run client/server on a NAS :p
James211

Post by James211 »

Extensis portfolio Server?

http://www.cmswire.com/d/digital-asset- ... st-c000013 An interesting list.

Let me know if you find anything that possibly appeals to you. I've never used iPhoto. I don't mind extensis portfolio but the server version is pretty pricey. One of my favorites is Lightroom, but they don't offer everything I want ( server/client, email, upload, download, etc.).
TS-470

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”