What's involved in upgrading?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
pdes
Know my way around

What's involved in upgrading?

Post by pdes »

I currently have a QNAP 410 (Arm) but am considering upgrading to a TS 470. Is there an easy upgrade path where I can simply swap the dual disks into the new chasis? Is there also a way of retaining all the configurations from the 410 that have taken years to perfect or do I need to start from scratch? :-0

Thanks
pwilson
Guru

Re: What's involved in upgrading?

Post by pwilson »

pdes wrote:I currently have a QNAP 410 (Arm) but am considering upgrading to a TS 470. Is there an easy upgrade path where I can simply swap the dual disks into the new chasis? Is there also a way of retaining all the configurations from the 410 that have taken years to perfect or do I need to start from scratch? :-0

Thanks
Check out QNAP Tutorial: How to completely upgrade your NAS from QTS 3.8 to QTS 4.0.

I would recommend reading this, even if your TS-410 is already on QTS 4.x. Migrating your drives is possible (per the Migrating from Old NAS section of the fine manual), but this Tutorial will explain why doing so is not a good idea.

Your best bet would be to setup your TS-470 from scratch with new drives. (This will setup Storage Pools), and then copy your data from your TS-410 to your TS-470 via the network. After you have confirmed that your data has been copied over successfully, you can wipe the TS-410, and set it up again, with only it's Windows networking features turned on. Thereafter you can use Backup Station on the TS-470 to backup to the TS-410. A NAS with a Backup NAS is an excellent method of backing up your data. Your TS-410 is getting long in the tooth as it is very old, but it should still be a suitable destination for backups of your TS-470.

Change the Port-Forwarding in your Router to forward to the TS-470 rather than the TS-410. (You won't need remote access to the TS-410 if it is simply being used for backups of the TS-470). .

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
rigogs
Starting out

Upgrade from TS-412 to TS-469Pro--DREAM!

Post by rigogs »

Upgrade from TS-412 to TS-469Pro, made backup into single 4TB drive just in case. So got my new QNAP, moved the drives over, flip power switch on and expected the worst ie: total reformat and setup from scratch--NOPE, I just got silver spoon fed, WOW! IP came up on display, login screen had pre-populated login fields and all was without skipping a bit. Did have notification asking to check drive integrity so did a quick check and also had to adjust the time.

I am so impressed with QNAP, they sure make my life simple--now I can spend the day with my family and keep going--THANKS QNAP!!

ps: firmware 4.0.7 failed to download so had to manually install--not a big deal but just would not dl, could be my non standard subnet IP scheme.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”