TS-659 Pro+ HDD compatibilty

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
scientific
New here

TS-659 Pro+ HDD compatibilty

Post by scientific »

Hello all, new to the forum. On recommendations of a few IT expert friends, I have just got a QNAP TS-659 Pro+.

Application is as music and image server as well as business file backup. Plan to format windows compatible NTFS. RAID 5, but may use individual non raid.
For HDD compatibility: New Seagate "enterprise" drives are avail up to 4 TB: Are either of these models compatible? Best selection?
Looking for best TB/$, quite, cool, and reliable. Transfer speed not an issue here.

SEAGATE ST2000VN000 2TB 5900 RPM

SEAGATE ST4000VN000 4TB 5900 RPM

At a Newegg cost $100/150 ea, I think a good deal.

Also considering the WD Black series same capacity. WD4001FAEX 4TB 7200 RPM

Open to all comments and experience.

With Kind Regards,

Jon
SCI
pwilson
Guru

Re: TS-659 Pro+ HDD compatibilty

Post by pwilson »

scientific wrote:Hello all, new to the forum. On recommendations of a few IT expert friends, I have just got a QNAP TS-659 Pro+.

Application is as music and image server as well as business file backup. Plan to format windows compatible NTFS. RAID 5, but may use individual non raid.

You might want to read the fine manual for whatever Firmware version is installed on your TS-659 Pro+ NAS. You will not be settting it up as NTFS, The NAS Filesystem will be Linux Ext4. (This reality however has nothing to do with Windows or NTFS. You will be able to access the NAS via your network from Windows, so the file format used by the NAS won't be an issue for you).

RAID5 may not be a good choice. If you plan to populate it with 6 drives, RAID6 would be a better choice, As the number of drives in a RAID array increases so does the possibility of "multiple drive failure". RAID5 can only tolerate the loss of a "single drive". RAID6 can tolerate the loss of up to 2 drives, and still give you access to your data.
scientific wrote:For HDD compatibility: New Seagate "enterprise" drives are avail up to 4 TB: Are either of these models compatible? Best selection?
Looking for best TB/$, quite, cool, and reliable. Transfer speed not an issue here.

SEAGATE ST2000VN000 2TB 5900 RPM

SEAGATE ST4000VN000 4TB 5900 RPM

At a Newegg cost $100/150 ea, I think a good deal.

Also considering the WD Black series same capacity. WD4001FAEX 4TB 7200 RPM
WD Blacks are not RAID certified. Nor are WD Greens or WD Blues. WD Reds (aka NASware drives) on the other hand are specifically designed for NAS/RAID use.

No more Seagates for me (ever again), but you will find many on the compatibility list if you are determined to go with Seagates on your NAS.

For compatibility check out the TS-659 Pro+ 3.5" HDD Compatibility List.

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you enjoy your new NAS.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
scientific
New here

Post by scientific »

Mr. Wilson! Many thanks for the fast and concise reply! I will start with only 4 HDD, I assume I CAN add more later, or not? What if I setup as individual drives, can I add (or remove) drives with no issues?

What is your experience with Seagate? What drives can you recommend? Like to keep the total cost down but still get good reliability.

With Kind Regards,

Jon
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

scientific wrote:Mr. Wilson! Many thanks for the fast and concise reply! I will start with only 4 HDD, I assume I CAN add more later, or not? What if I setup as individual drives, can I add (or remove) drives with no issues?

What is your experience with Seagate? What drives can you recommend? Like to keep the total cost down but still get good reliability.

With Kind Regards,

Jon
My next drives will be WD Reds.

My experience with Seagate is that I used them almost exclusively from 1991 to 2010. I unfortunately believed Seagate's claims of suitability, and got burned by both ST2000DL003 and ST2000DM001 drives. Seagate Support refused to replace them with a different model. This ended my relationship with Seagate permanently. (Your experience might be different).

You can add drives to your NAS later regardless of the storage volume you choose. Check out the fine manual for instructions. I can't provide a URL for you, as you have not disclosed the Firmware version/build numbers you are using.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

scientific
New here

Post by scientific »

I appreciate the advise! Very useful. I am still ordering the HDD, one of the NAS is being shipped from Canada to US via post.

Any precautions in customs doc or shipping the QNAP TS-659? Assume Canadian Air Post insured? Or better Fed Ex/UPS?

This is the info I have:
Description: DISKLESS NETWORK ATTACHED STORAGE
Country of Origin USA (?)
Harmonize Number 84717090?

Thanks again!

Jon
Jon Paul
Scientific
MSEE, ARCSI
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

scientific wrote:I appreciate the advise! Very useful. I am still ordering the HDD, one of the NAS is being shipped from Canada to US via post.

Any precautions in customs doc or shipping the QNAP TS-659? Assume Canadian Air Post insured? Or better Fed Ex/UPS?

This is the info I have:
Description: DISKLESS NETWORK ATTACHED STORAGE
Country of Origin USA (?)
Harmonize Number 84717090?

Thanks again!

Jon
I'm sorry I have no knowledge that can help in this regard. I never ship anything out of Canada.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

scientific
New here

Post by scientific »

Hello there! I received the TS-459 Pro+ Friday, very fine hardware and software. Updated FW to latest, and installed these HDD:

#1..4 = SEAGATE ST2000VN000 2TB 5900 RPM (may return these and get others)
#5 = Hatachi 1TB HDS721010 CLA 332

Started off as individual drives. All formatted as EXT4, no problem.

Setup usual network and shares, and users.

When I browse the LAN to the QNAP, I see all shared folders.

So far I see no way to label the individual volumes, nor can I select which HDD to transfer data and folders to. What am I missing?

Finally the unit is missing the HDD bay key! How to get one?

MANY THANKS!

Jon
Jon Paul
Scientific
MSEE, ARCSI
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Keep in mind that the use of single drives volumes is not recommended. If you lose the drive you lose all data on the drive unless of course you have backups. Additionally the first volume you set up is the default system volume which contains system files and settings. You you lose that drive you will lose access to access to your entire system.

When you create shares you specify what volume to create it on.

Please read the manual as Patrick has recommend so you are not asking questions that are answered in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
scientific
New here

Post by scientific »

Hello Don: I was testing the 4 Seagate 2TB I may have to return them, (swap> 4TB) Used spare 1TB Hatachi in slot 5. Aware of single volume issues, wanted to wait for final drives to setup RAID.
Started with#5 drive, to try setting yp and making a few backups. I Had no idea that first drive setup, is system and critical!
Is there any way to clone or backup those system files? Or I am stuck with that #5?

Yes I must read all of the manual! Many thanks for your assistance!

Good Weekend!

Jon
Jon Paul
Scientific
MSEE, ARCSI
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Hi,

No way to clone via the NAS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
scientific
New here

Post by scientific »

Hello again: Are the HDD capable of removal or change of slot location if they are not a RAID array but individual HDD? I setup with #1..4 = 2B Seagte, #5 = 1 TB Hatachi.

Now I must remove the 4 Seagate and RA them for others.

Many thanks!

Jon
Jon Paul
Scientific
MSEE, ARCSI
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I'm not sure. You can search the forum to see if anyone has tried that or open a ticket with QNAP and ask them directly.

scientific
New here

Post by scientific »

Hello I just pulled 1..4 and 5 is fine and works!

That test fails on D-Link NAS!

Jon
Jon Paul
Scientific
MSEE, ARCSI
cander328
New here

Post by cander328 »

Can the 659 Pro + use 3TB or 4TB drives?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

cander328 wrote:Can the 659 Pro + use 3TB or 4TB drives?
Why don't you just look at the HCL :?: :roll:
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”