QNAP TS-401T Turbo Server: slow 10MB/s with GBit

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
chaos_prevails
New here

QNAP TS-401T Turbo Server: slow 10MB/s with GBit

Post by chaos_prevails »

Hello,

we have the mentioned QNAP NAS and although I searched the internet back and forth I could not find a single page on it. It seems this hardware has completely disappeared from the web.

It is a 4xSATA NAS configured as Raid5 with two 1GBit ethernet ports which are configured as load balancing on a smart managed cisco SG200-26 GBIT switch with link aggregation activated for those two ports. When I connect my computer directly to this switch I still only get about 10MB/s when writing to the NAS. I thought probably the load balancing is broken, but the speed stays as low as 10MB/s with only one cable connected.

Can anyone help me out how to increase the speed somewhat?
- On the NAS, there is no further configuration possible concerning load balancing and as we didn't find any manual, I don't know which configuration is best on the switch-side.
- Also I didn't find any new firmware (currently Version 1.1.0 build 0425) which could probably bring some speed enhancements. Can somebody point me to a site? Or can somebody from QNAP help me out?

To make sure you know about which NAS I'm talking about, its this one:
Last edited by chaos_prevails on Thu May 08, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briain
Experience counts

Re: QNAP TS-40IT Turbo Server: slow 10MB/s with GBit

Post by Briain »

Hi

It's getting tricky to find the archive NAS page unless you know where to look, but fortunately I've bookmarked it and thus found your model specifications here.

Bri
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
chaos_prevails
New here

Re: QNAP TS-401T Turbo Server: slow 10MB/s with GBit

Post by chaos_prevails »

Hi Briain,

thank you very much, I didn't find anything because I thought the model is 40IT (40 + IT), but in fact it's 401T (401 + T). I know that I once searched for TS-401T but somehow I missed out on the results.

Through your link I found 1.1.0 as most recent firmware, but when googling I find 1.3.0 of 2007/2008 on the qnap ftp server (ftp://csdread:csdread@ftp.qnap.com/NAS/firmware/TS-401T). Is it save to install firmware 1.3.0, although it is not linked on the QNAP website?

Also, I didn't find anything about upgrading the RAM from 256 to 512 (I have a 512MB SD-RAM module lying around, don't know about the specs of the 256MB module though). Has somebody experience with upgrading the RAM of this/another QNAP NAS?

Yesterday I did a disk check + fix-errors via the webinterface and it went fine (3.28% non-continuous). I did not find any way to view the S.M.A.R.T. parameters of the disks via the webinterface.

I was wondering what else could increase performance somewhat. Could it help to delete and recreate the RAID5?

In the meantime I found the performance report of the TS-401T on the qnap ftp server and it mentions 30-60MB/s, depending on the amount of clients. So there should be some room inproving the performance of our NAS.

thanks again,

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”