TS-210 migrate to new disks and RAID

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
dinon
New here

TS-210 migrate to new disks and RAID

Post by dinon »

HI,

currently I have 2 separate 2 TB disks in Ts-210 with latest firmware.
As I understand RAID migration and expansion is not supported (although there is some conflicting info available) so starting from scratch is best approach.

I have a plan to go with 2 x 3TB (Toshiba DT01ACA300 which is on HCL) drives and create RAID1 on them, config is simple so no big issues in retyping.

In order to save time is it possible just to move existing disk to external USB case and connect it over USB so that it will be recognized and that data is copied internally ?

Thanx,
DiNo
pwilson
Guru

Re: TS-210 migrate to new disks and RAID

Post by pwilson »

dinon wrote:HI,

currently I have 2 separate 2 TB disks in Ts-210 with latest firmware.
As I understand RAID migration and expansion is not supported (although there is some conflicting info available) so starting from scratch is best approach.

I have a plan to go with 2 x 3TB (Toshiba DT01ACA300 which is on HCL) drives and create RAID1 on them, config is simple so no big issues in retyping.

In order to save time is it possible just to move existing disk to external USB case and connect it over USB so that it will be recognized and that data is copied internally ?

Thanx,
DiNo
Setup your NAS on the new drives. After it is completely setup on the new drives you can attach your original drives (in turn) via an external drive dock, to copy your Data back to the NAS. Simply copy everything from /share/USBDisk3 (3rd partition of the original drive) to /share/MD0_DATA to get your data back onto the NAS.

Your TS-210 only supports USB2.0 (480Mb/s), but you might want to invest in a USB3.0 Dock, if your PC/Mac/Linux box supports USB3.0, as you can use your Dock will multiple devices. (It will only operate at USB2.0 speeds when attached to your TS-210)

You can continue to use the Drive Dock for all your future backups going forward.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”