Stardom attached to Qnap

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
przemek
Starting out

Stardom attached to Qnap

Post by przemek »

Hi,
I would very much like to attach two Stardom devices (SC2-WB3 raid1 and SR4-WBS3 raid5) to Qnap TS469Pro via USB/eSata. Please advise if such solution would work.
Thanks.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Stardom attached to Qnap

Post by pwilson »

przemek wrote:Hi,
I would very much like to attach two Stardom devices (SC2-WB3 raid1 and SR4-WBS3 raid5) to Qnap TS469Pro via USB/eSata. Please advise if such solution would work.
Thanks.
They are unlikely to work via eSATA, (unless they support "FIS–based (frame information structure) switching"-style Port Multiplier within the Stardom devices themselves. It will probably work via USB.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
przemek
Starting out

Post by przemek »

USB is fine. I have read that there are problems with raid 0 (disk not recognized). I wonder whether raid 1/raid5 are ok for Qnap....Any views on that?
There is a Stardom sohotank on the Qnap compatibility list only. I wrote to helpdesk of Stardom and Qnap to see their view on that.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

przemek wrote:USB is fine. I have read that there are problems with raid 0 (disk not recognized). I wonder whether raid 1/raid5 are ok for Qnap....Any views on that?
There is a Stardom sohotank on the Qnap compatibility list only. I wrote to helpdesk of Stardom and Qnap to see their view on that.
I wouldn't use RAID0 for any reason on any hardware. It isn't even "RAID". :shock: Using a RAID solution is probably a good idea, but I know nothing about either of these Stardom devices, or their reliability.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
przemek
Starting out

Post by przemek »

I wrote to Stardom support - they just confirmed to check compatibility. I will let know when answer arrives. I use Stardom devices as standalone for photo purposes (http://www.stardom.com.tw/products.html).
przemek
Starting out

Post by przemek »

Well, Qnap support says it may not work. Their answer:

#########
"Dear Mr Przemyslaw,

We didn't get the Stardom devices and there is chance that they may not work with QNAP. If you have chance to get a device to see if it works in your environment then it would be a safe choice.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Burkus
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Regional Manager - International Sales Department

3F, No.22, Zhongxing Rd., Xizhi Dist., New Taipei City, 221, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Phone: +886-2-2641-2000 Ext:1117
http://www.qnap.com/

On 15 May 2014 04:51, Przemyslaw Janus <janusp@wp.pl> wrote:
Company Name:
Full Name: * Przemyslaw Janus
Job Title:
E-mail: * janusp@wp.pl

Address:
Product Line: * Storage
Model Name: * TS-469 Pro
Telephone:
(Include country +amp; area code)
Fax:
(Include country +amp; area code)
Messages: Hello can I attach Stardom SR4-WBS3 and SC2-WB3 via USB to Qnap TS469Pro? Will it work? Please advise. thank you Przemyslaw"
#########

The point is that these devices use hardware raid and I am not sure what will happen when Stardom is attached to Qnap (format again?). Definitely would not like to break either Qnap or Stardom (which isn;t cheap btw).

Now waiting for Stardom to answer.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Plug the USB 3.0 connection and check on how the NAS does recognize the enclosure with it's built-in hardware RAID controller - QNAP does not know about the JMB394 (or the like) controller on these devices. Most likely, you will see a single USB "disk" or storage volume. There is not much that can go wrong.

When using eSATA, it can depend on the product implementation. Some are seen as single logical HDD, some make it available as individual HDD in a port-multiplier configuration (this is not supported by QNAP).
przemek
Starting out

Post by przemek »

Stardom is of the opinion that Qnap will not work with mass storage devices using hardware raid.
And that's the end.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Still not plugged? If their enclosures provide a single logical disk from the hardware RAID to the USB 3.0 port ...

thee is also a form at the bottom of the compatibility list to Suggest a products for us to test.
kinglevel
Starting out

Post by kinglevel »

I have a Stardom SR-3600 with my TS-439 Pro II+, over USB 2.0, Raid1, Doing realtime-backup of a specific important folder.
Works like a charm, up and running for maybe 2 years now.

But of course it is time to upgrade the whole server and this backup solution soon.
So i am looking into getting the 470 Pro and the SR2-WBS3, since i think both of the products have been very reliable and too easy to get up and running. And with lots of new toys in the house, speed is always a demand.

Soooo, the main importance with the new stardom product is the eSATA port and of course USB 3.0.

I want to use the eSATA port when i transfer from my old NAS to the new NAS. Since the old NAS does not have USB 3.0. It would take approx 16 hours with USB 2 ;)
And if it is relaible to do it over usb 2, naaaah, i would not think so..

What do you think? Another solution than this?

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”