Repourpose the Drives

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
borg357
Starting out

Repourpose the Drives

Post by borg357 »

Well, I just went though a successful drive expansion upgrade on my TS-559 Pro+.. Awesome.. 11TB's

So, I want to Repourpose the five 2.5TB Drives for storage and off site back ups. However, I plug them into my Mac, and I can't see that they have more then 300GBs.. I tried everything, and they just don't see that they are 2.5TB.. So, I'm assuming that they have hidden RAID partitions taking up 90% of the drives..

So, dumb question, but how does one re-format (or re-set) to gain back 2.5TB??

Thanks
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: Repourpose the Drives

Post by doktornotor »

I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
borg357
Starting out

Post by borg357 »

Thanks for the reply, however, the fact that I don't see the hidden partitions on a Mac, probably means that I'm NEVER going to be able to use a Mac to adjust, format, or partition these drives. More then likely, I'm going to have to use a Linux or PC utility to fix the trouble. So, pointing to a Mac forum is a bit like asking eskimos, how they deal with the heat.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

There are no hidden partitions. Complain with Apple if you are convinced OS X can't deal with a complete removal of all partitions from industry standard MBR partitioned drives.

Not convinced you will be right: What might be not available form the click and pray side can certainly be done from the OS X shell using administration/root rights: Erase the partitions table form an external storage device should be as easy as on a Linux system using dd. Watch your step - I'll avoid to publish an how-to for OS X.

On U**x, Linux, or a Linux-based NAS, it's about the same - and I'm convinced this works similar on the Unix-like OS X. Assume the device plugged and mounted is /dev/sdi (a typical device used for the first external storage on a QNAP NAS):

[~] # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdi bs=512 count=1

Now unplug, and re-plug the now "empty" HDD.

Fully agree with the doktornotor: This is not a NAS issue at all.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”