Re: Can't Print 4.1.0 [Solved!]

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
jg3
Starting out

Post by jg3 »

For the last few upgrades (since at least 4.x) to my Qnap I haven't been able to print. This weekend I upgraded to 4.1.0 and it still doesn't work. I've searched the forum and found far less than I expected on the topic and no pointers to a solution. I would be obliged for any help here.

The printer, an Canon MP270, is on, connected via USB, and works fine when I directly connect via USB.

I'm printing from a mac running Mavericks 10.9.4 and I see the printer on the network via bonjour. In the Qnap admin Control Panel > External Device > USB Printer the printer shows up correctly and reports "ready". The access list is "no limit" and "*". When I attempt to print the Printer Log will show under status "printing" and then "completed" but nothing ever happens at the printer.

From my Android running 4.2 I can see the printer when it scans for wi-fi direct printers but then I get a message "The printer is not working. It may not support your device." (for the moment, this is far less of a concern than being able to print from a mac).

Any thoughts?
Last edited by jg3 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Can't Print 4.1.0

Post by pwilson »

jg3 wrote:For the last few upgrades (since at least 4.x) to my Qnap I haven't been able to print. This weekend I upgraded to 4.1.0 and it still doesn't work. I've searched the forum and found far less than I expected on the topic and no pointers to a solution. I would be obliged for any help here.

The printer, an Canon MP270, is on, connected via USB, and works fine when I directly connect via USB.

I'm printing from a mac running Mavericks 10.9.4 and I see the printer on the network via bonjour. In the Qnap admin Control Panel > External Device > USB Printer the printer shows up correctly and reports "ready". The access list is "no limit" and "*". When I attempt to print the Printer Log will show under status "printing" and then "completed" but nothing ever happens at the printer.

From my Android running 4.2 I can see the printer when it scans for wi-fi direct printers but then I get a message "The printer is not working. It may not support your device." (for the moment, this is far less of a concern than being able to print from a mac).

Any thoughts?
Try following the steps in QNAP Tutorial: How to set up a network printer via QNAP NAS?, pay particular attention to the Mac section.

Which Canon MP270 Print Driver driver is installed on your Mac?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
jg3
Starting out

Post by jg3 »

I have version 10.84.2.0 of the MP270 driver installed on my mac and it works perfectly when I connect directly to the printer via USB. However, when installing a network printer the mac takes direction from the print server what driver to use and it is currently using "airprint" driver version 2.0.

Thanks for the reply, Patrick. I hope you got all the necessary information to help me find the answer. If it was not clear before, the network print sharing was working in previous firmware versions but has, for some reason, stopped. I recall seeing a discussion pointing to Mavericks using an incompatible version of CUPS, but I can't seem to find it again.

Does any of that help point to what the problem may be?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

jg3 wrote:I have version 10.84.2.0 of the MP270 driver installed on my mac and it works perfectly when I connect directly to the printer via USB. However, when installing a network printer the mac takes direction from the print server what driver to use and it is currently using "airprint" driver version 2.0.

Thanks for the reply, Patrick. I hope you got all the necessary information to help me find the answer. If it was not clear before, the network print sharing was working in previous firmware versions but has, for some reason, stopped. I recall seeing a discussion pointing to Mavericks using an incompatible version of CUPS, but I can't seem to find it again.

Does any of that help point to what the problem may be?
I'm sorry that Tutorial didn't help.

QNAP's CUPS implementation doesn't support "Network Printers" at all, so I am unable to use this feature at all. (All my printers are network printers, rather than USB ones).

Unfortunately my knowledge of wonderful world of OS X is quite limited. Hopefully an OS X member will provide better hints for you than I did. Good luck.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

jg3
Starting out

Post by jg3 »

When the Qnap makes the printer accessible via the network, to the mac it is installed as a "network printer". The printer is connected directly via USB to the Qnap.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

jg3 wrote:When the Qnap makes the printer accessible via the network, to the mac it is installed as a "network printer". The printer is connected directly via USB to the Qnap.
Yes I aware of the theory of the feature. It only supports USB Printers.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

jg3
Starting out

Post by jg3 »

When adding a printer in OS X (Mavericks at least) the + button shows a list of bonjour-advertised printers it knows about. Selecting one of those sets the printer up to use a default print driver "AirPrint". (My root problem was just choosing one of those "nearby printers" from the list)

What I found I needed to do was select the "Add Printer or Scanner ..." from the + menu.
Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 12.06.39 PM.png
In the Add dialogue that follows, I can select the bonjour printer (the term "network printer" seems to have caused some confusion in this thread) and also which driver to use.
Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 12.07.02 PM.png
In this way I can also edit the name that represents the printer on my system and choose which printer driver to use.

It goes without saying that you must have the printer software loaded on your system, which may not be available by default. In some cases it may be worthwhile to directly connect to the printer once to install the correct driver from Apple. In general, the manufacturer's driver will have to be loaded locally first.

I hope this helps someone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macalb
New here

Post by Macalb »

Same problem, but the solution above doesn't work.
No errors and no print output, tested in OSX 10.7.5 & 10.10

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”