4 x 3TB WD Red in Raid 5

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
pinsel
New here

4 x 3TB WD Red in Raid 5

Post by pinsel »

Hi *!

Got a TS412 running with 3 WD Red 3TB Raid 5, everything is fine so far. Now I wanted to extend the Raid with another 3TB WD Red. Unfortunately it doesn't allow me to, it says: "Die Festplattenanzahl wird erhöht auf 4. Die Festplattenkapazität beträgt etwa 8383.56GB.
Das System unterstützt eine Laufwerkserweiterung auf bis zu 8TB."

Any hints?
schumaku
Guru

Re: 4 x 3TB WD Red in Raid 5

Post by schumaku »

Hallo,

QTS 4.1.x ARM builds can fail with the migration because of the file system migration can require more virtual memory than available - QNAP added a limitation to 8 TB on QTS 4.1. QNAP is investigating on how to add a workaround.

Contact QNAP Customer Service if you need further assistance please - however, there is no "official" solution available. Community members having experienced the issue have temporarily added swap-space and done the migration manually.

Grüsse,
-Kurt.
Weltherrscher
New here

Post by Weltherrscher »

Does a NEW RAID5 with 4x 4 TB work with full capacity or is this specific only to the online expanding?
Having exactly the same problem with my TS419PII, spent 4x 16 h rebuilding and now it refuses to expand the RAID5...
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Weltherrscher wrote:Does a NEW RAID5 with 4x 4 TB work with full capacity or is this specific only to the online expanding?
Online expansion only - no limitations on creating a new RAID.
Weltherrscher wrote:Having exactly the same problem with my TS419PII, spent 4x 16 h rebuilding and now it refuses to expand the RAID5...
Five by one - why does a newly created RAID require expansion? But as you say 4x XX h it sounds like an expansion scenario.
Weltherrscher
New here

Post by Weltherrscher »

Indeed it was an expansion scenario, i failed...
Wanted to extend from 4x 3 TB to 4x 4 TB.

So i have to create a new RAID5...
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

We're told QRTS4.1.1 should get the limitation (added intentionally) removed again.
Thomas_L
Starting out

Post by Thomas_L »

I don't quite understand what these limitations mean, but is it possible to create a new 6x6TB Raid6 in my TS-859pro and later expand it to 8x6TB without losing data?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Thomas_L wrote:I don't quite understand what these limitations mean, but is it possible to create a new 6x6TB Raid6 in my TS-859pro and later expand it to 8x6TB without losing data?
Unrelated - this limitation was added on the low-resource ARM NAS models only, as pointed out in the first reply:
schumaku wrote:QTS 4.1.x ARM builds can fail with the migration because of the file system migration can require more virtual memory than available - QNAP added a limitation to 8 TB on QTS 4.1. QNAP is investigating on how to add a workaround.
A moderator would be so nice please and move this thread to the [STABLE] TS-x10/x12/x19/x20/x21/HS-210 Turbo NAS Series to avoid more confusion. Thanks.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”