TS-419 P2 / USB power supply

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
DrGlitch
New here

TS-419 P2 / USB power supply

Post by DrGlitch »

Hello QNAP community,

I am currently planning to supplement my TS-419 P2 NAS with a Raspberry Pi B+. This little bugger wants ~700mA of amperage power supply.
Out of curiosity, I am wondering:
would the USB port of the TS-419 P2 provide enough power for the Rasp Pi? Is power on its USB port kept online even if the NAS has entered sleep mode?

I do already know that the QNAP's USB does provide some amperage, as it should according to the USB standard. Nevertheless, it would be great if the device
interpreted the standard as losely as most machines do, and supply some decent amperage to the USB.

I would really appreciate any information, especially if somebody already tried this rather obscure approach ;-)

Thank you
DrGlitch
Don
Guru

Re: TS-419 P2 / USB power supply

Post by Don »

For that type of technical info I suggest you contact QNAP support directly as this is a community forum and QNAP rarely participates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

DrGlitch wrote:Hello QNAP community,

I am currently planning to supplement my TS-419 P2 NAS with a Raspberry Pi B+. This little bugger wants ~700mA of amperage power supply.
Out of curiosity, I am wondering:
would the USB port of the TS-419 P2 provide enough power for the Rasp Pi? Is power on its USB port kept online even if the NAS has entered sleep mode?
I have no idea if it is rated for it, but I successfully plugged a Raspberry Pi into the USB2.0 port on my TS-419P+ when I was running it. I don't believe it shutdown when the NAS entered "sleep", however I run my NAS 24/7/365, so I don't exactly monitor whether or not it is sleeping.

I can't however answer any questions as I no longer own my Raspberry Pi nor my TS-419P+.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

DrGlitch wrote:Is power on its USB port kept online even if the NAS has entered sleep mode?
The ARM NAS like the TS-419P II don't have a sleep mode in the sense of a ACPI modes - only the HDD are spin-down of not used for a while.
DrGlitch
New here

Post by DrGlitch »

schumaku wrote:The ARM NAS like the TS-419P II don't have a sleep mode in the sense of a ACPI modes - only the HDD are spin-down of not used for a while.
Ah, thank you for the hint! I did not quite realize this at first, it now appears just logical to me :D
DrGlitch
New here

Post by DrGlitch »

Hello Community!

It's been a while since I started this thread. I now had the opportunity to try this for myself and it works just as expected :)
That's another happy li'l machine in the herd...

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”