disk drive x failed or is unplugged HEEELLLPP

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Hooman
Starting out

disk drive x failed or is unplugged HEEELLLPP

Post by Hooman »

Great...
I just have to ask... I got this message last week and took 1 disk (the one that failed) out and put it back in
The system started to rebuild and then failed again.
I have done a lot of reading here and there are many with the same problem.

I made a "ticket" to qnap and got the reply that the disks are not suppoorted and I have to buy new ones
The thing is that when I bought the nas and the hard disks, the disks where on the compability list but now when I look, they are gone

To make it extra tricky is that I have 2 seperate nas devices with different hard drives and all the hard drives are now "not supported"

Can it be so that they just first recommend disks and then remove them and when problem accours they just refer to that you have to buy new disks since they are not compatible?

It will cost me a lot of money to buy 4 new disks

-Now to change the disks---
Can I just buy 2 new ones and replace the one that is "damaged" and the system will automaticly rebuild and back upp to the new disk (on the compability list) from the disk that still works and then change the disk (the one that works) with a new one on the compability list?

Is it that easy? Do I risk to loose any data?
Since the qnap support page recommends that you use the same brand and modell for 2 disks? But off course since the my "old" disks are not on the compability list anymore then it would be very difficult to use "same" brand and same number (if you know what i am talking about)

I am pretty not handy with such things so backing up using different technics ans also filesystem supoprted and so on is out of my leauge. I just want to make an easy transision without loosing my data!!!!
/TS-219 p II....
/WD 3TB ( Model: WCD WD30EFRX-68EUZN08.0)

Sorry for the stupid questions :)
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: disk drive x failed or is unplugged HEEELLLPP

Post by doktornotor »

Why the hell are you putting a drive that failed back in?! Give yourself a hit with a cluebat please... Otherwise, no info provided (FW version, RAID configuration, HD model, nothing.), plus topic discussed gazillion times. Use the search feature on this forum and read the fine manual.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Hooman
Starting out

Post by Hooman »

Why i put the failed drive back in was because I read i the forum that it might solve the issue since it would rebuild!

The firmeware is 4.1.0 Build 20140612
Raid 1
HD model is in my signature: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB 7200RPM SATA/600 64MB (ST2000DM001)
/TS-219 p II....

doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Hooman wrote:Why i put the failed drive back in was because I read i the forum that it might solve the issue since it would rebuild!
More cluebat hits required.
Hooman wrote: The firmeware is 4.1.0 Build 20140612
Raid 1
You replace a failed drive simply by hotswapping it. I.e., remove the failed one, do NOT shutdown the NAS, insert a new, unformatted, unpartitioned compatible drive suitable for RAID... After the rebuild has finished, you repeat the process with remaining so far still unfailed garbage drives, until all garbage is removed from the NAS (also see below).
Hooman wrote:HD model is in my signature: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB 7200RPM SATA/600 64MB (ST2000DM001)
Find the nearest garbage can, insert the drives there. (No need to wait for rebuild.)
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Hooman
Starting out

Post by Hooman »

Ok.

Since I am checking out the hard drives... Here is the compability list for this models
Wich one of these are now "not to need to be inserted to garbage can" ?

Seagate ST2000VN000
WD WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 (Red)
WD WD2001FFSX (Red Pro)
/TS-219 p II....

doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Both the WD options should be perfectly fine. Use the manufacturer provided diagnostics utility on a PC to perform a full/extended test before putting them to use in your NAS.

P.S. You will not receive any recommendation regarding Seagate products from me.
Hooman
Starting out

Post by Hooman »

Ok. Thanks for your reply
And if I want to upgrade to 3TB... Is it the same procedure? Just replace them one by one with the bigger capacity
(off course after that the first one is rebuild and running)
/TS-219 p II....

doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Again discussed zillion times on the forum and described in the fine manual: Expanding Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion)
Hooman
Starting out

Post by Hooman »

Great...
Still a problem as i said earlier....
I am not an expert on these stuff.
Raid 5,10 and so on and so on is like another language for me...
Do I have to replace the driver and choose expand?
(Online RAID Capacity Expansion)??

That is why I am sking the questions here since I am again not comfortable and do not fully understand all the stuff mentioned in the manual!!!!
/TS-219 p II....

doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Well... then maybe someone else will respond, I'm not going to be rewriting the manual here, the part I linked dealing with the capacity expansion is written in perfectly clear human readable English with no technoblurb inside. No idea what you don't understand.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Hooman wrote:Great...
I just have to ask... I got this message last week and took 1 disk (the one that failed) out and put it back in
The system started to rebuild and then failed again.
I have done a lot of reading here and there are many with the same problem.

I made a "ticket" to qnap and got the reply that the disks are not suppoorted and I have to buy new ones
The thing is that when I bought the nas and the hard disks, the disks where on the compability list but now when I look, they are gone

To make it extra tricky is that I have 2 seperate nas devices with different hard drives and all the hard drives are now "not supported"

Can it be so that they just first recommend disks and then remove them and when problem accours they just refer to that you have to buy new disks since they are not compatible?

It will cost me a lot of money to buy 4 new disks

-Now to change the disks---
Can I just buy 2 new ones and replace the one that is "damaged" and the system will automaticly rebuild and back upp to the new disk (on the compability list) from the disk that still works and then change the disk (the one that works) with a new one on the compability list?

Is it that easy? Do I risk to loose any data?
Since the qnap support page recommends that you use the same brand and modell for 2 disks? But off course since the my "old" disks are not on the compability list anymore then it would be very difficult to use "same" brand and same number (if you know what i am talking about)

I am pretty not handy with such things so backing up using different technics ans also filesystem supoprted and so on is out of my leauge. I just want to make an easy transision without loosing my data!!!!
Please contact the QNAP Helpdesk directly for all support questions with Seagate DM & DL Series drives. They all used to be listed as "not recommended" by QNAP due to their unreliability, and concerns with potential data loss issues.

Using the Advanced search of this Forum system prior to purchase would have provided you with ample reasons not to buy them. When discussing this with the QNAP Helpdesk, please ask they why they are no longer listed as "incompatible" on some NAS models (including yours). The Drives are still as unreliable as ever, so perhaps QNAP has some super-secret tools that suddenly make them reliable enough to be de-listed as "incompatible".

This is clearly a Seagate issue, but QNAP exasperates the situation by not maintaining their HDD Compatibility List properly, leading some QNAP owners to continue to purchase these horrid drives. We have repeatedly asked QNAP to relist them as "incompatible" but our requests fall on deaf ears, so unfortunately some people purchased them in good faith, just to end up here complaining about them, or lamenting about complete data loss because they purchased them and attempted to use them in RAID configurations.

The Community can not help you with these drives. Please contact the QNAP Helpdesk directly for assistance.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

pwilson wrote: The Community can not help you with these drives. Please contact the QNAP Helpdesk directly for assistance.
Already been done. As stated by the OP:
Now, of course, my post about QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness remains totally unaddressed by QNAP 14 days later. Meanwhile, the guys are busy vandalising this forum and making useful information inaccessible.

Also, read this low-level format story about QNAP's support, the myriads of issues unsolved after being pointed out over and over and over again for years, and you'll see a clear pattern of completely failing operation, where resources are only spent on marketing... :roll:

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”