TS 849+ Pro replacing drive

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Tranzic
New here

TS 849+ Pro replacing drive

Post by Tranzic »

Greetings,

After I installed the last update available one of my drives shows an error. It's a raid 5 setup with 8 3 TB drives. The whole volume is encrypted hence I'm a bit reluctant to simply replace the warning drive with another (I bought a spare at the time I bought the NAS, exact same model). Will the fact that it's all encrypted cause a problem when replacing the drive and should I leave the volume unlocked or locked when I do?

Also, I've been thinking of replacing the drives all together (to larger ones). I assume I can simply replace a drive, rebuild, replace the other etc. However since the drives I'll be moving on will be bigger can I enlarge the encrypted volume somehow after? Also same question as above, should the encrypted volume be mounted or not while I do this? Does it even matter?

All the best and I apologize for the repetition of the questions which most likely have been asked a gazillion times before.

//Anders
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: TS 849+ Pro replacing drive

Post by doktornotor »

- Remove the failed drive and hotplug a new one. (Yeah, asked zillion times before.)
- You cannot expand anything until you have replaced ALL RAID member drives with bigger ones.
- Read and follow the fine manual once you are ready to expand.

Encrypted or not is completely irrelevant here.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”