Use disks of old NAS in a new one?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
pwilson
Guru

Re: Use disks of old NAS in a new one?

Post by pwilson »

luhewiese wrote:Hello out there,
I have a TS-219P and in my DMZ a newer one TS-219PII, both with two similar drives in RAID 1 each.
Coming back from work today I found my TS-219P not working anymore: no fan, no lights, no running drives although electricity is on.
I would like to check, if the disks of that NAS are still ok and data is there.
My question: can I replace the disks of the second NAS by the disks from the broken NAS and continue working with that one - or is the NAS formatting every new disk inserted?
The same question would occur when I by a new NAS without disks and try to put the disks of the old NAS in it. There are already slightly differences in the file system between my two models (e.g. Qmultimedia vs Multimedia).

thanks for your help
Shutdown both NAS devices. Swap PSU's between units. Start up both devices again. I bet this time the TS-219P will startup without issue, and the TS-219PII will fail.

If this works as described, simply replace the failed PSU. (Troubleshooting 101).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Use disks of old NAS in a new one?

Post by pwilson »

luhewiese wrote:You are right! I just switched the disks of the two NAS and now the other NAS is not starting up. So I fear the disks are causing the trouble? What can I do? Is it possible that one disk is still ok?
I still suspect a broken PSU. Unfortunately you did not follow my advice, so you can draw any conclusions you want from your "troubleshooting" effort.

If you want more assistance, please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following, and provide all the information not previously provided within this thread.

You have 4 drives, but only 2 PSU's, so testing the PSU's (by swapping them rather than the drives), would have been far more conclusive. I suspect you have 4 "good" drives, and 1 "bad" PSU. I have no idea what you were attempting to prove with your effort. Of course my conclusions are based on "probability" rather than actual troubleshooting, as you have provided little information to work with, and apparently don't want to follow advice offered.

Good luck resolving this.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”