Hi Fi Integration

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
pdes
Know my way around

Hi Fi Integration

Post by pdes »

I bought my TS451 with the intention of integrating it into my Hi-Fi system. My plan was to use a USB port to directly link to the HiFi DAC, thereby keeping a pure signal and cutting out networking. However, I can't see how to do this or in fact, if it is possible. I also want to retain the HDMI link for use with PLEX etc.

Has anyone successfully worked this out?

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Hi Fi Integration

Post by dolbyman »

get one of these USB soundcards

http://www.qnap.com/i/useng/product_x_g ... 143&hf=old

Those are for music playback

For movie playback the audio will have to come from your playback device (TV,media player, etc)
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

pdes wrote:I bought my TS451 with the intention of integrating it into my Hi-Fi system. My plan was to use a USB port to directly link to the HiFi DAC, thereby keeping a pure signal and cutting out networking. However, I can't see how to do this or in fact, if it is possible. I also want to retain the HDMI link for use with PLEX etc.

Has anyone successfully worked this out?

Thanks

If you plug in a "supported" USB-DAC you can configure the NAS to output the "audio" singnal via the DAC directly to your AV-Receiver. Both Music Station and QMusic permit you to "stream" your Music to your "device" or to your AV-Receiver at your whim.

It is a toggle, simply "toggle" the "Stream mode" icon (#7 in this image from Music Station), or the similar icon in QMusic, to toggle between playing on the DAC (and therefore your AV-Receiver), or your local device you are accessing the NAS from.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
pdes
Know my way around

Post by pdes »

Many thanks for the pointer. Don't know how I missed this :ashamed: . Is there an app that goes with this or is it P&P?

Cheers
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

pdes wrote:Many thanks for the pointer. Don't know how I missed this :ashamed: . Is there an app that goes with this or is it P&P?

Cheers
If you purchase a "supported" USB-DAC the drivers are already part of the NAS Firmware image, so it is "plug and pray". I assume this is what you are referring to with "P&P".

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
pdes
Know my way around

Post by pdes »

Any recommendations? I can't see any competitive reviews and would like to have something to help evaluate.

Thanks
pdes
Know my way around

Post by pdes »

Thinking on.....

By now, you will have realized that I am a bit dumb when it comes to audio connectivity so, please bear with me for a sec! Looking at the QNAP recommended devices, some places describe them as "DACs". Now, I need to connect to my DAC with a USB link. Is the USB interface a "standard" connection and would the DAC be recognized by the TS-451 and save me adding another component.

Thanks for your patience.
nickj
Starting out

Post by nickj »

The USB Speakers / Soundcard compatibility list doesn't mention the x70 range. Any reason?
- Nick

TS-219P; TS-259 Pro; TS-269 Pro; TS-459U; TS-453U; TS-253B
TR-004U; TS-470 Pro 16; NMP-1000
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

pdes wrote:Thinking on.....

By now, you will have realized that I am a bit dumb when it comes to audio connectivity so, please bear with me for a sec! Looking at the QNAP recommended devices, some places describe them as "DACs". Now, I need to connect to my DAC with a USB link. Is the USB interface a "standard" connection and would the DAC be recognized by the TS-451 and save me adding another component.

Thanks for your patience.
you plug in (for instance the HP-A4) via USB cable

and choose either a analog RCA output (left) or optical toslink digital output (right)

playback via the above mentioned qnap apps .. and it should playback on your stereo
pdes
Know my way around

Post by pdes »

Would I damage my existing DAC if I plugged it it to see whether it would work? What are the chances?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

don't think you would damage anything, it either works or doesn't .. I guess it depends if qnap has the driver for the DAC chipset, there might be other products with the supported dac "controller(s)" (?) that are not on the list
ToddSecksington
New here

Post by ToddSecksington »

Hmm, the list of compatible DACs or optical converters for a TS-251A is very small. I would very much like to be able to get a USB audio signal out to my receiver.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The built-in driver is for the generic default 8-bit (?) DAC from what I'm aware.

Any "better" DAC mode (and support for the "high-end" DAC boxes would require a driver, USB recognition, sometimes DAC firmware to be loaded, and probably software, ... this is why QNAP has added a pretty good 24-bit DAC with analog output on many newer NAS models.
ToddSecksington
New here

Post by ToddSecksington »

Well that's kind of crushing...its output is only 8 bit??!??!?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

add any dlna/smb audio player device and you should be able to play whatever audio you want in your network

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”