VPN PPTP Connection problem on QNAP

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
P.Viby
Starting out

VPN PPTP Connection problem on QNAP

Post by P.Viby »

Spending hours and hours seaching forums changing settings and testing and testing I am about to give up. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have had this problem for years now with no luck and even wrote here ealier with no replies at all......hope it is better this time :S

Here is the problem.:
I am trying to connect my computer and IPad/Iphone to my QNAP. I followed the simple describtion from QNAP on how to setup a PPTP connection. all done. I am able to connect, BUT within about 20 seconds of connecting the connection becomes dead/stale. For the first approx. 20 secs I can use the connection and reach any workstation by name/ip but after that it stops until I disconnect from the vpn. Once disconnected, it doesn't reconnect for some time but then I can connect and the same problem happens again.

Setup.:
1.Operating System used to access NAS.: Windows 7 or IPad 3/Iphone 5S IOS 7.1.2
2.NAS model.: TS-459 Pro II
3.Firmware revision on NAS.: 4.1.0(20140612)
4.Network Setup.: Port Trunking - Balance-rr
5.PPTP enabled and Users setup is done and assigned to VPN PPTP
6.TCP port 1723 is forwarded and checked OK on both Router and QNAP.
7.Router.: Netgear CG3000
8.Router setup.: VPN passthrough enabled, TCP port 1723 open
9.Using MyQNAPCloud to reach my NAS

Since I can connect but only for a VERY short time (20-50 secs) I guess the basic setup is done right. But why the connection dies/stale and why I cant reconnect again right away I just cant figure out.

From windows when I try connect again it gives me error 619

FTP and Qfile works fine and stays connected.

From seaching the forums I can see I am not alone with this problem, but somehow it seems like it was never really solved by any.

PLEASE help me out. :shock:
pwilson
Guru

Re: VPN PPTP Connection problem on QNAP

Post by pwilson »

PPTP is insecure. Don't even attempt to run it.

Install OpenVPN instead.....

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
P.Viby
Starting out

Post by P.Viby »

I am well aware of the security issue with PPTP.

Pwilson - could we try to solve this. OpenVPN can't work on IOS unless you start hacking you IPad/IPhone.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

P.Viby wrote:OpenVPN can't work on IOS unless you start hacking you IPad/IPhone.
Huh?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/openvpn ... d590379981
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
P.Viby
Starting out

Post by P.Viby »

Okay - I was not aware of the that App.

But could we please try to solve this problem anyway. :!: I find PPTP Much easier to setup.........if it works :|
I can live with the security issues with PPTP. It for sure ain't NASA documents I am sending. :DD
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

I personally have no interest in debugging a "feature" that should long ago be removed from the firmware due to insecurity and that's a nightmare to get working across any firewall.

:arrow: http://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
P.Viby
Starting out

Post by P.Viby »

doktornotor wrote:I personally have no interest in debugging a "feature" that should long ago be removed from the firmware due to insecurity and that's a nightmare to get working across any firewall.

That is a shame doktornotor - I am sure you would have had some good ideas. A :S

Hope there are others with valid input on how this could be solved 8)
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

P.Viby wrote:
doktornotor wrote:I personally have no interest in debugging a "feature" that should long ago be removed from the firmware due to insecurity and that's a nightmare to get working across any firewall.

That is a shame doktornotor - I am sure you would have had some good ideas. A :S

You stubborn or merely stupid? PPTP is insecure, and should not be used. Period.
This is the solution. Install OpenVPN instead.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

pwilson wrote:This is the solution. Install OpenVPN instead.
What about iOS?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

schumaku wrote:
What about iOS?
Been working for quite some time, as noted above.
P.Viby
Starting out

Post by P.Viby »

pwilson wrote:
P.Viby wrote:

You stubborn or merely stupid? PPTP is insecure, and should not be used. Period.

Pwilson - suggesting another connection type is not a solution. I want it to work with PPTP, which QNAP and Apple support both and is easy to setup.

I have read your comments in other posts about the same problem and you only say install openVPN but don't help with the actual problem. Not all people want to use OpenVPN. They want it to work with PPTP.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

schumaku wrote:
What about iOS?
OpenVPN Connect available in the iTunes Store

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

P.Viby wrote: Pwilson - suggesting another connection type is not a solution. I want it to work with PPTP, which QNAP and Apple support both and is easy to setup.
Yes. While importing one file into OpenVPN client and setting up username and password is extremely difficult. :roll:

As noted: :arrow: http://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit¨

(Hopefully one day someone will wake up and nuke this piece of junk from FW altogether. Preferably as soon as possible, years overdue.)
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

P.Viby wrote:
pwilson wrote:
P.Viby wrote:

Pwilson - suggesting another connection type is not a solution. I want it to work with PPTP, which QNAP and Apple support both and is easy to setup.

I have read your comments in other posts about the same problem and you only say install openVPN but don't help with the actual problem. Not all people want to use OpenVPN. They want it to work with PPTP.
Installing insecure software is not a solution. If you think it is, then we can safely assume your aren't merely stubborn. PPTP should not be used by anyone for any purpose, especially when there is a perfectly secure alternative.

Microsoft, Apple and QNAP are all aware of the insecurity, so the question should be why are these companies are providing PPTP in the first place. Your NAS, your data, your choice. You will get no help from me to install PPTP on anything. Please ignore my posts going forward, as my opinion is obviously doing nothing for you.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

P.Viby
Starting out

Post by P.Viby »

pwilson wrote:
P.Viby wrote:
pwilson wrote:
P.Viby wrote:

Installing insecure software is not a solution. If you think it is, then we can safely assume your aren't merely stubborn. PPTP should not be used by anyone for any purpose, especially when there is a perfectly secure alternative.

Microsoft, Apple and QNAP are all aware of the insecurity, so the question should be why are these companies providing PPTP in the first place. You NAS, your data, your choice. You will get no help from me to install PPTP on anything. Please ignore my posts, as my opinion is obviously doing nothing for you.
Well the last part you ask for is easily done - since you haven't help at all :wink:
But maybe - just maybe. Microsoft, QNAP and Apple don't see the same BIG security issue with PPTP as you do. Even I am sure they agree PPTP is not 110% secure but for "normal" use it is still okay.

Return to “File Sharing”