Switch from AFP to SMB

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
NandoHiller
New here

Switch from AFP to SMB

Post by NandoHiller »

hello,
we want to switch from AFP to SMB and have a character problem. AFP has special characters /. ? in the name. SMB has unreadable string.

example:
AFP: 'Bild/Grafikideen' -> SMB: 'BJ3O1M~7'
AFP: 'What is your name?' -> SMB: 'W5AHDZ~U'

We can not rename everything by hand.
Is there a solution?

A second thing. How can I take Tags from AFP?
In SMB everything disappears (many tags).

Is there a solution via a script?
like http://superuser.com/questions/168927/m ... e-terminal

thanks,
Nando
schumaku
Guru

Re: Switch from AFP to SMB

Post by schumaku »

There are bunch more "Apple" characters SMB (or potentially QNAP's implementation) can't scope with, some kind of "long spaces", trailing spaces in file names, ... all things we don't have to care about on Microsoft (this is where SMB comes from :ashamed: ). Same applies to any kind of labels.

If these are an issue - stick with AFP for now. AFP is still the default to connect OS X to these open source based systems. The only thing for now Apple has changed is thatSMB is used by default when connecting to other OS X servers. No rush converting to SMB for now - nobody said this is required.

We know the Netatalk and the SAMBA crews have teamed-up, combining effort and enhancing the integration.

Regards,
-Kurt
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

There are no tags with SMB. Also, obviously stupid chars such as the redirection operators or directory separators are invalid. Talk to Bitten Fruit Co.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
NandoHiller
New here

Post by NandoHiller »

hello,
we have TS-809 Pro 4.1.0 Build 0612th and MACs with OSX 10.9.4. Labels/Tags work with Pathfinder. In Finder, they will be displayed only short, but they do exist.

Code: Select all

bash-3.2 $ tag --list TestFolder 
TestFolder Red 

bash-3.2 $ mdls -name kMDItemFSLabel TestFolder 
kMDItemFSLabel = 6 
I can give names with special characters ('./?') under both (SMB, AFP). It should work with conversion or same character code, isn't it !?

Sample.
SMB: 'yourname./?' -> AFP: 'your name.'
AFP: 'yourname./?' -> SMB: 'YAJYPX~C'

Opportunities to transfer Labels/Tags and assume the name correctly, I am looking for.

@schumaku
It is hoped that soon gets better.

AFP causes problems in Indesign with use of Lightroom. It comes to reconnections and Indesign freeze.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1402645
http://www.forum-lightroom.de/phpboard/ ... p?p=155491

best regards,
Nando
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Well possible we're facing a (very specific) compatibility issue with AFP vs. OS X 10.9.x. Do you have pushed this to QNAP support earlier this year already?

Tags: As of today (QTS 4.1.1, SAMBA 4.0.21*, AFP 3.0.5) it appears the Tags (and the like) meta data is handled and stored differently by AFP vs. SMB - AFP tags are not visible in SMB (at all, neither the tag columns in finder does not list them, nor does the tag command) - and tags applied on SMB access are not visible on AFP. And yes, on SMB share in Finder, the tag "lights" just blink up on changes, and disappear seconds later. Is this different for you on QTS 4.1.0? If the behavior is similar on 4.1.0, you can consider 4.1.1 - but there was no version change in afpd (just different coded defaults again - sigh).
*Yes, I'm aware you (most likely) have SAMBA 3.6.24 in place - the unsupported hack to enable SAMBA 4 on older NAS might or might not work - but for now keep the "formal" versions please.

Upper Finder: AFP, lower Finder: SMB - not fun in fact:
Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 20.28.31.png
File Names: Here I would expect the usage of replacement characters in both directions of course. Don't know if this is specific to the older SAMBA 3.6, or if this is similar here - have just limited time to check.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NandoHiller
New here

Post by NandoHiller »

Hello Kurt,
sorry for the late reply! :|
Do you have pushed this to QNAP support earlier this year already?
Yes. The content I have not in mind. I think it was about writing error via AFP, which was fixed with the last update.

Ticket ID: ERJ-282-90263
Betreff:AFP Problem

Is this different for you on QTS 4.1.0?
QTS 4.1.0 and QTS 4.1.1 only blink up on changes.

The problem of missing tags, after change to SMB, should be on many places. I was hoping someone has already found a workflow.
read tags on AFP / write tags on SMB

Code: Select all

tag --list $file / tag -a $file

best regards,
Nando

-----

Hallo Kurt,
könnten wir englisch und deutsch die Nachrichten schreiben? Für welche mit Englischschwächen ist es dann leichter verständlich, was gemeint ist (mich mit eingeschlossen).

viele Grüße,
Nando

Return to “File Sharing”