Folders access blocked in FTP client

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
nofx4fun
Starting out

Folders access blocked in FTP client

Post by nofx4fun »

Hello,

I have a problem with my TS-269L. With my admin account in filezilla I can access to everything but when I create a new user with specific permissions (including write and read for everything) I can't access to some folders. They are always the same ones. It seems that the access is blocked for some folders. I tried to erase and create new users and move files to another folder but I had the same result.

Any idea please ?

Thank you
pwilson
Guru

Re: Folders access blocked in FTP client

Post by pwilson »

nofx4fun wrote:Hello,

I have a problem with my TS-269L. With my admin account in filezilla I can access to everything but when I create a new user with specific permissions (including write and read for everything) I can't access to some folders. They are always the same ones. It seems that the access is blocked for some folders. I tried to erase and create new users and move files to another folder but I had the same result.

Any idea please ?

Thank you
Please provide some actual useful information. :roll: :roll: :roll:
  1. Which "shares" are you actually inquiring about?
  2. Which "users" are you actually inquiring about?
  3. What permissions are on the unnamed "shares"?
  4. What ACL's are on the unnamed "shares"?
  5. Do you have "advanced permissions" enabled?
  6. Do you have Windows ACL's enabled?
Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
nofx4fun
Starting out

Post by nofx4fun »

I try to access to some folders I created when bought my Qnap. They are in the Multimedia Folder.
I can only access to them with the admin account.
All permissions are 770 in Filezilla. When I create a new user for a friend (with or without any user group) he cannot access to three different folders in Multimedia where I have movies, music and photos).
Everything seems to be alright when I go in settings and change the permissions for all my folders but not in filezilla (I tried with another FTP client as well). So I tried to change permissions in File Station but when I tried to go to properties in Multimedia or music, or movies or photos folder the properties tab is loading all the time.
I can only change permissions in the settings icon but I can see some users name I didn't created such as 501, 502, 101...
I have advanced permissions enabled but not ACL support enabled as I don't know how to use it.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

nofx4fun wrote:I try to access to some folders I created when bought my Qnap. They are in the Multimedia Folder.
I can only access to them with the admin account.
All permission are 770 in Filezilla. When I create a new user for a friend (with or without any user group) he cannot access to three different folders in Multimedia when I have movies, music and photos).
Everything seems to be alright when I go in settings or and change the permissions for all my folders but not in filezilla (I tried with another FTP client as well). So I tried to change permissions in File Station but when I tried to go to prperties in Multimedia or music, or movies or photos folder the properties tab is loading all the time.
I can only change permissions in the settings icon but I can see some users name I didn't created such as 501, 502, 101...
Ah... some information to actually work with. Thank-you. Still no Firmware information provided? :roll: :roll: :roll: Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
What OS is on your PC?

Okay, instead of relying on the limited information available via FileZilla, lets actually look at the NAS itself.

Anyway, lets get to work. Please access your NAS via SSH. login as "admin" and run:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
rm -f /tmp/nasreport
touch /tmp/nasreport
chmod +x /tmp/nasreport
cat <<EOF >>/tmp/nasreport
#!/bin/sh
#
# NAS Report by Patrick Wilson
# see: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=82260#p366188
#
# 
echo "*********************"
echo "** QNAP NAS Report **"
echo "*********************"
echo " "
echo "NAS Model:      \$(getsysinfo model)"
echo "Firmware:       \$(getcfg system version) Build \$(getcfg system 'Build Number')"
echo "System Name:    \$(/bin/hostname)"
echo "Workgroup:      \$(getcfg system workgroup)"
echo "Base Directory: \$(dirname \$(getcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf Public path))"
echo "NAS IP address: \$(ifconfig \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device') | grep addr: | awk '{ print \$2 }' | cut -d: -f2)"
echo " " 
echo "Default Gateway Device: \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device')" 
echo " "
ifconfig \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device') | grep -v HWaddr
echo " "
echo -n "DNS Nameserver(s):" 
cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver | cut -d' ' -f2
echo " "
echo " "
echo "HDD Information:"
echo " "
if [ -x /sbin/hdparm ]; then
   for i in {a..d}; do echo -n /dev/sd\$i ; hdparm -i /dev/sd\$i | grep "Model"; done
else 
   echo "   /sbin/hdparm is not present" 
fi
echo " "
echo "Disk Space:"
echo " "
df -h | grep -v qpkg
echo " "
echo "Mount Status:" 
echo " "
mount | grep -v qpkg
echo " " 
echo "RAID Status:" 
echo " " 
cat /proc/mdstat
echo " " 
#echo "QNAP Media Scanner / Transcoder processes running: "
#echo " " 
#/bin/ps | grep medialibrary | grep -v grep
#echo " " 
#echo -n "MediaLibrary Configuration file: " 
#ls -alF /etc/config/medialibrary.conf
#echo " " 
#echo "/etc/config/medialibrary.conf:"
#cat /etc/config/medialibrary.conf
echo " "
echo "Memory Information:" 
echo " "
cat /proc/meminfo | grep Mem
echo " "
echo "NASReport completed on \$(date +'%Y-%m-%d %T') (\$0)" 
EOF
sleep 2
clear
/tmp/nasreport
echo "Done." 
#done

Please cut&paste the output of the resulting NASReport back to this message thread.

Okay, now that you're finally going to be able to answer 90% of those questions (by providing this output), we can get some output for your existing issue. Please access your NAS via SSH. login as "admin" and run:

cat /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1,3
testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia 2>/dev/null
getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)
getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/music
getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/movies
getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/photos
#done

Please cut&paste the output of these commands back to this message thread.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

nofx4fun
Starting out

Post by nofx4fun »

Thank you for your answer. As you can see I have a user called "501" and I don't know why.I activated Windows ACL and did a test with "audio" folder permissions but without any result. How can I reset all permissions and users without doind a hard reset ? I have Windows 7 on my computer.

1)

** QNAP NAS Report **

NAS Model: TS-269L
Firmware: 4.1.2 Build 20150126
System Name: nofx4fun
Workgroup: WORKGROUP
Base Directory: /share/MD0_DATA
NAS IP address: 192.168.1.200

Default Gateway Device: eth0

inet addr:192.168.1.200 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:628056 errors:0 dropped:224 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:620696 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:187996066 (179.2 MiB) TX bytes:178235842 (169.9 MiB)
Interrupt:16 Memory:c0000000-c0020000

DNS Nameserver(s):80.10.246.134

HDD Information:

/dev/sda Model=WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 , FwRev=80.00A80, SerialNo= WD-WMC1T3380836
/dev/sdb Model=WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 , FwRev=80.00A80, SerialNo= WD-WMC1T2837271
/dev/sdc Model= , FwRev=, SerialNo=911D71004BB3B895
/dev/sdd/dev/sdd: No such file or directory

Disk Space:

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
none 200.0M 136.5M 63.5M 68% /
devtmpfs 1.5G 4.0k 1.5G 0% /dev
tmpfs 64.0M 248.0k 63.8M 0% /tmp
tmpfs 1.5G 8.0k 1.5G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/md9 509.5M 134.6M 374.9M 26% /mnt/HDA_ROOT
/dev/md0 5.4T 3.0T 2.4T 56% /share/MD0_DATA
/dev/md13 371.0M 272.8M 98.1M 74% /mnt/ext

Mount Status:

none on /new_root type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755,size=200M)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=64M)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/md9 on /mnt/HDA_ROOT type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
/dev/md0 on /share/MD0_DATA type ext4 (rw,usrjquota=aquota.user,jqfmt=vfsv0,user_xattr,data=ordered,delalloc,acl)
/dev/md13 on /mnt/ext type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)

RAID Status:

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [multipath]
md0 : active raid0 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
5857395200 blocks 64k chunks

md256 : active raid1 sdb2[1] sda2[0]
530112 blocks super 1.0 [2/2] [UU]
bitmap: 0/1 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

md13 : active raid1 sda4[0] sdb4[1]
458880 blocks [2/2] [UU]
bitmap: 0/57 pages [0KB], 4KB chunk

md9 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
530048 blocks [2/2] [UU]
bitmap: 1/65 pages [4KB], 4KB chunk

unused devices: <none>

Memory Information:

MemTotal: 3072684 kB
MemFree: 1031760 kB

NASReport completed on 2015-01-28 18:45:33 (/tmp/nasreport)
[~] # echo "Done."
Done.
[~] # #done

2)

group:everyone:r-x
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:user:admin:rwx
default:user:501:rwx
default:user:guest:---
default:group::---
default:group:everyone:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

[~] # getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/Mes Images
getfacl: /share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/Mes: No such file or directory
getfacl: Images: No such file or directory
[~] # getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/Mes Videos
getfacl: /share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/Mes: No such file or directory
getfacl: Videos: No such file or directory
[~] # getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/Films
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/Films
# owner: admin
# group: administrators
user::rwx
user:admin:rwx
user:501:rwx
user:guest:---
group::---
group:everyone:rwx

[~] # getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/Audio
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/Audio
# owner: admin
# group: administrators
user::rwx
user:admin:rwx
user:501:rwx
user:guest:---
group::---
group:everyone:rwx

[~] # #done
Last edited by nofx4fun on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

I can't help when you only provide partial output. Anyway, I've lost patience with you. Perhaps someone else will help you.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

nofx4fun
Starting out

Post by nofx4fun »

It is my first request in that forum. I pasted everything I have in my SSH program... Sorry I'm not a computer expert and tried to do my best to provide you the information you asked for.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

nofx4fun wrote:It is my first request in that forum. I pasted everything I have in my SSH program... Sorry I'm not a computer expert and tried to do my best to provide you the information you asked for.
No one asked you to be an expert. I provided commands for you to run, and you chose to only provide some of the output requested. I can't help you without the information requested, so you "chose" to decline my assistance when you "chose" to only provide some of the information provided by those commands.

I asked nicely twice. Sorry, but you chose not to help yourself, yet seem offended that others won't help you. (If I was "paid" to do this, perhaps I'd have more patience).

It's nothing personal. Like I said before hopefully someone else will attempt to help you.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

nofx4fun
Starting out

Post by nofx4fun »

I ran both commands and pasted everything i have on my screen. I thank you for your help as I know you are not paid for that but I don't understand what are you talking about when you say "I provided commands for you to run, and you chose to only provide some of the output requested".
Trust me that if I request some help I would provide all that I can, it doesn't make sense to only provide part of the information.
If anybody has an idea regarding the information needed, please let me know.
Anyway thanks for your help.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

nofx4fun wrote:I ran both commands and pasted everything i have on my screen. I thank you for your help as I know you are not paid for that but I don't understand what are you talking about when you say "I provided commands for you to run, and you chose to only provide some of the output requested".
Trust me that if I request some help I would provide all that I can, it doesn't make sense to only provide part of the information.
If anybody has an idea regarding the information needed, please let me know.
Anyway thanks for your help.
That "501" user is a "deleted" user. Some of your shares still has settings for user#501, but at the user no longer exists it merely provides the "number" of the user.

You still haven't told us which "users" you are talking about. You have provided the "getfacl" commands I requested, but this output is useless to me if I don't know which user you are inquiring about.

You neglected to provide any information about your "Multimedia" share:
pwilson wrote:

cat /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1,3
testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia 2>/dev/null
I can't help with "permissions" issues, without this information. Why couldn't you provide this information. I provided commands based on the "directories" you said you were inquiring about, but you were not asking about the folders you said you were.

I explicitly crafted my commands to provide as little personally identifiable information as possible. (ie I filtered the /etc/passwd data through "cut", so it provided only the two fields I need to help you troubleshoot).

If you chose not to provide that information due to privacy concerns, I can respect that, but I would urge you to generate the requested output, and then consistently edit the output to protect your privacy, while still providing the information. For example, if it lists "jean:1001" or "claude:1002" etc, you could easily edit this information so that "jean:1001" lists as "user1:1001", and "claude:1002" lists as "user2:1002" etc

My objection was not that you didn't provide personal information, my complaint is that you didn't provide the output I requested. I am willing to bury the hacket if you want, as there is obviously a misunderstanding between us. If you would prefer not to work with me, I can respect that too. Please let me know how you would like to proceed from here. Do you want further assistance from me, or would you prefer that I abandoned this thread in hopes that someone else does so?
Last edited by pwilson on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

nofx4fun
Starting out

Post by nofx4fun »

Hello,

Yes it is a misunderstanding. I didn't thought that you will use th exact name of the folders to give a command sorry. It was not for privacy purpose.
I would like you to give me further assistance if you can, I will try to give you all the information as requested.

Do I have to erase the name of deleted users from the permissions screen ?
When I pasted the name of the shared folders in my last post, these are the real names of the blocked folders (Mes Images, Films, Audio, Mes Videos). For "Films" folder users can open it but will be blocked in 3 subfolders (Multimedia ---> Films ---> XBMC ---> Films ---> English or Multimedia ---> Films ---> XBMC ---> Films ---> French or Multimedia ---> Films ---> XBMC ---> Films ---> Spanish). English, French and Spanish folders are blocked.

As you can see I have three different users created: Polo, Julien and Franck.

I paste you the result of the command you requested in your last post:

[~] # cat /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1,3
admin:0
guest:65534
httpdusr:99
Julien:500
Polo:501
Franck:502
[~] # testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia 2>/dev/null
[Multimedia]
comment = System default share
path = /share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia
recycle bin = Yes
invalid users = guest
valid users = root, @everyone, admin, Julien, Polo, Franck
read list = @everyone
write list = admin, Julien, Polo, Franck
inherit permissions = Yes
guest ok = Yes
smb encrypt = No

Do you need more information ?

Thank you
nofx4fun
Starting out

Post by nofx4fun »

I have some news regarding that issue.

I can see that the created users can access to these blocked folders so what I decided and see in the settings permission screen on my qnap is correct. They have access to when they log in with another user account as well.

The problem is that I can only access to all the folders with my admin account. If I use the account of another user I created I don't have access to all the folders in Multimedia as the others can.

I only have that problem in local (I tried with 2 computers and 2 different FTP client) but I can access to all the folders with another user account from the internet.

How is this possible ?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Check these folders ACL please ... Web UI or form the shell.
nofx4fun
Starting out

Post by nofx4fun »

I checked these folders in windows, settings in qnap and file station. Everything seems to be ok but still no access in local with a created user.
What do you mean "from the shell" ?

Thank you
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

nofx4fun wrote:I checked these folders in windows, settings in qnap and file station. Everything seems to be ok but still no access in local with a created user.
What do you mean "from the shell" ?

Thank you
By "Shell" he means "SSH" (Secure Shell).

getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/Mes\ Images
getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/Mes\ Videos
getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/Audio
getfacl $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Multimedia --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/Films
#finis

• What is the "username" of this newly "created user"? (We can't troubleshoot if we don't know the username you are using for troubleshooting/diagnosis).
  • :idea: It is not a good idea to put "spaces" in directory or filenames, unless you are comfortable with "escaping" spaces with "\" symbols when attempting to address them from the command line).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “File Sharing”