File Station Settings Query? (SOLVED)

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
gael33
Getting the hang of things

File Station Settings Query? (SOLVED)

Post by gael33 »

I have two browsers on my computer, Mozilla Firefox & Chromium (both up-to-date versions). In Chromium File Station doesn't have the PC files & folders highlighted in settings, yet in Firefox the File Station PC files & Folders is highlighted in settings and shows the PC icon in the left-hand menu but won't open/drop down to show the files and folders on my PC ... What could the problem be? Incidentally, I do have Java JRE installed and updated through a PPA.

I am running Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon (up-to-date and trouble free).

thanks, gael.
Last edited by gael33 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slàinte Mhath, Saor Alba Gu Brath.
schumaku
Guru

Re: File Station Settings Query?

Post by schumaku »

Are the Java plugins for Firefox installed? By default, the JRE does not prepare the required plugins and wokring spaces. Suspect there are some other/outdated/incompatible Java discovered, but the applet does not start. -> http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1839

For Chromium (Chrome) there seems to be no Java plugin detected. Plugin install is similar to Firefox above - please consult ie. a Linux Mint or Chromium (on Linux) community for assistance.

Edit: You mangine I'm not using Linux desktop systems at all, just servers with limited UI requirements. Just spotted this -> http://blog.darkoverlordofdata.com/2014 ... -mint.html
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

gael33 wrote:I have two browsers on my computer, Mozilla Firefox & Chromium (both up-to-date versions). In Chromium File Station doesn't have the PC files & folders highlighted in settings, yet in Firefox the File Station PC files & Folders is highlighted in settings and shows the PC icon in the left-hand menu but won't open/drop down to show the files and folders on my PC ... What could the problem be? Incidentally, I do have Java JRE installed and updated through a PPA.

I am running Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon (up-to-date and trouble free).

thanks, gael.
Why are you using File Station locally within your network anyway? Simply access your NAS shares via SMB just like any Windows or OS X user would. There is no need for a Web-based tool here anyway. You can use just about any Linux File Manager to access the NAS.

I can access File Station with both Firefox (Iceweasel 31.3.0) and Chome 40.0.2214.111 (64-bit). But I do not have my PC listed in the left column at all, and this doesn't bother me at all. Why use a WebUI/Web Browser at all for this?

From my Kali Linux w/ Cinnamon Desktop:

I can access my NAS shares easily with "any" Linux File Manager. (This is "Nemo" in this screen shot, but it also works with PCFileMan, Nautilus, Dolphin, etc.) Perhaps I'm being slow, but I honestly don't care about File Station under Linux, as I really don't need it at all.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
gael33

Post by gael33 »

Thanks Patrick for your prompt reply.
I also use SMB when delving into my QNAP, but I have also used the Web Browser purely for convenience when browsing.
It is nice to have all the options even if we don't need them.
Keep up the good work as help is always appreciated.

gael.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Managed to make the JRE plugins operational in Firefox and Chrome now, permitting to run the QNAP File Station applet to be operational?
gael33

Post by gael33 »

schumaku wrote:Managed to make the JRE plugins operational in Firefox and Chrome now, permitting to run the QNAP File Station applet to be operational?
Can you tell me how you did it as I would be very grateful :)

gael.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

That was more an inquiry - links and insights provided in a previous reply.
gael33

Post by gael33 »

Okay, I seemed to have figured it out:

For using Firefox with Java you must install the Icedtea plugin.

From the terminal, type;

sudo apt-get install icedtea-plugin

No further actions needed.

It worked for me :)

gael.

Return to “File Sharing”