File Sharing & Security

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
colinhasted
New here

File Sharing & Security

Post by colinhasted »

Hi All,
Apologies if this has already been asked. I find that the features of the file station can be extremely useful and often share files up to clients from my home QNAP. I have port 443 opened on my firewall to allow the file sharing. The issue I have is I don't particularly want external people to access the QNAP login screen as the management console also shares this port. Is there a way of separating these features away from each other so that I could expose either file manager links or possibly the full file manager feature without exposing the login to the QNAP management console to the entire web?

Thanks in advance

Colin
pwilson
Guru

Re: File Sharing & Security

Post by pwilson »

colinhasted wrote:Hi All,
Apologies if this has already been asked. I find that the features of the file station can be extremely useful and often share files up to clients from my home QNAP. I have port 443 opened on my firewall to allow the file sharing. The issue I have is I don't particularly want external people to access the QNAP login screen as the management console also shares this port. Is there a way of separating these features away from each other so that I could expose either file manager links or possibly the full file manager feature without exposing the login to the QNAP management console to the entire web?

Thanks in advance

Colin
Good idea. :roll: :roll: :roll: Don't let your users change their passwords. (Which is the only "admin" thing they can do with it). Keeping the same password on the NAS for years is a great idea, and keeping their Windows passwords in sync with their unchangable NAS password, will only further improve your network security.

Give your head a shake.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The is no management console.

There is one QTS desktop environment which can host apps like File Station, Music Station, Photo Station, ... and the Control Panel.

A user not member of the administrators group has no access to the Control Panel (plus some privilege dependant functions in the desktop controls).
colinhasted
New here

Post by colinhasted »

Thanks for the post, looks like it is not possible. The QTS desktop environment login screen was what I was trying to keep as internal access only but at the same time be able to use the 'share a link' feature in file manager to share files to clients on the web. It seems I can't have one without the other.

Return to “File Sharing”