Vista can't see NAS on network in Windows Explorer

Windows Access Rights Management
jeanf
New here

Vista can't see NAS on network in Windows Explorer

Post by jeanf »

I've been searching for other posts and trying different things out for hours now. I want to map a network drive on Vista for the NAS. In QFinder I go to Tools, Map Network Drive, give the admin NAS credentials, and it says "Network failure: the server
is not found on the network. Please check the server status." In Windows Explorer under Network there's no sign of the NAS. My Vista machine can see NAS contents fine through the Web UI, and through Putty SSL login. I also have a macbook, and AFP switched on and the macbook can see the folders on the NAS, through SSL on the terminal and through Finder.
Info:
Your Operating System you are using to access your NAS. The problem machine is running Vista Home Premium SP2
NAS model TS-212
Firmware revision V.4.0.5
Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking) I have no idea, sorry

Any suggestions?
redgoblin
Know my way around

Re: Vista can't see NAS on network in Windows Explorer

Post by redgoblin »

Others may have have a better handle on this but just to mention:
A) Browsability usually depends on both machines running a suitable common protocol
B) Mapping doesn't necessarily require browsability

Re A, for instance, I found it necessary to add NetBEUI to the protocol stacks of each to let my legacy Win95 games PC browse my main WinXP PC - with diminished security, it's true, but I was prepared to accept that on my home LAN. I chose not to map anything, BTW, because the timeouts involved can totally freeze the accessing OS' filing system for unacceptably long periods in the event of the resource being unavailable and an unwary user merely dragging a file over an unresolved map intending to drop it into a perfectly innocent local folder that WE just happens to show beyond it - try it some time if you've never experienced the pain!

Re B, for XP as my nearest version to Vista, it may only be necessary to alt-click My Network Places, select Map Network Drive... and type in the pre-discovered UNC name (syntax: "\\"<server>"\"<share>["\"<path>]) with no need for any browsing. Or you could even try just making a shortcut to the UNC name without bothering to map it.
jeanf
New here

Post by jeanf »

Thanks very much for your reply, redgoblin. You may be spot on with your observation, but I don't know how to check or change the protocol stacks of my NAS / the Vista machine.

I tried typing the the URL directly into Windows Explorer address bar and into the Map network Drive dialog, still no joy. A friend suggested turning off the Firewall on Vista. No difference.

Here are some of the settingsI have on the NAS, maybe someone can spot something wrong?
Enable file service for Microsoft Networking - ticked
Server description - I entered a name for the server here
Workgroup - I put WORKGROUP as this matches what the Vista machine says for its workgroup
Standalone server is chosen
AD domain member is not chosen
LDAP domain authentication is not chosen
Under Advanced Options nothing is filled in (Enable WINS server is off, Use the specified WINS server is empty, Local master browser is off, etc)
UPnP discovery is on
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hello jeanf,

The key point of Windows Vista (and newer): If your network is configured to be connected to a public network, the file sharing services are - even if installed on the stack - completely disabled, and the firewall rules are closed for incoming connections as well as discovery. And the weak point of Vista and 7... it won't tell you when you attempt to access a share. Windows 8/8.1 will inform you, and guide to the actions required.

Have an eye on the Network Location Settings for Windows 7 or Network Location Settings for Windows Vista. If the location service has set the location to public - you will be out of luck, and need to change it. And sometimes the vista location service does odd things and change the location - eve if you have not moved or changed the network.

In a public network, not only sharing, it also the discovers is disabled - thus your Windows can't see anything. In fact it's a great feature, but users often don't understand - one of the reasons for Vista's "bad" reputation.

Convinced you got the key now.

Regards,
-Kurt.
jeanf
New here

Post by jeanf »

Thanks very much Kurt. I'm away from the machine until Saturday now, but I'll be sure to follow your advice at the weekend and I'll let you know if that was the key! Have a good day.
jeanf
New here

Post by jeanf »

The network on Vista was set to private. Need another idea. Installed Qsync as a workaround but it only solves half the problem.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Client for Microsoft network not installed in the network interface? Check the interface properties, add if its not in place.
lukacsmw
Starting out

Post by lukacsmw »

I'm having the same issue with my Windows 7 machine. I've verified I'm using a private network. I have the verified Client for Microsoft Networks is installed. I've tried setting up a user on the NAS with the same credentials as my Windows 7 PC, and I've tried changing my Windows 7 login to match my NAS. And I verified File Service for Microsoft Networks was enabled. I've tried enabling/disabling windows firewall and my router firewall. Nothing works - I keep getting the error:

"Network failure: the server is not found on the network. Please check the server status."

The NAS can be accessed through my web browser. It can be seen with network discovery. I just cannot Map a network drive! That means I can't use it to backup Itunes, I can't use it for easy drag/drop file sharing. This really **.

It's a TS-269L, running Fireware 4.1.0, rev 2014/04/03. It used to MAP a few months back, but then it just stopped and I can't figure out why. It's not related to 4.1 as far as I can tell.

Anyone have any other ideas?
lukacsmw
Starting out

Post by lukacsmw »

One additional detail: when I try to map a network drive through the QFinder, I click on my NAS and the first dialog box that pops up is the for username and password. According to the QNAP guide for mapping network drives, it should give me an option to choose which share first, but it doesn't do that.
lukacsmw
Starting out

Post by lukacsmw »

I fixed it! Finally, after weeks - apparently UPnP was messing with it.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

lukacsmw wrote:I fixed it! Finally, after weeks - apparently UPnP was messing with it.
In what aspect or to which extent?
lukacsmw
Starting out

Post by lukacsmw »

I had "enable UPnP Discovery Service" checked. I unchecked it, and now it works. Doesn't make sense to me since Windows 7 is a UPnP operating system.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

lukacsmw wrote:Doesn't make sense to me since Windows 7 is a UPnP operating system.
Indeed, can't agree more. Does not happen for me, however.

Technically, Windows file share discovery and access does _not_ make use of the UPnP discovery at all - what is making things even more obscure.

Any obvious issues here?

[~] # tail /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.logs/qsys.log

[~] # dmesg
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

Just to through out one thing I sometimes forget about (W7) is the work group name. I scanned through the posts and didn't see it mentioned, but may have missed.
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The Windows for Workgroups invented workgroup name has a pure informational purpose, it has no impact on the discovery on access controls.

What we have not investigated on the OP Vista system (beyond of the private zone what would adjust the settings of a single Windows or fully compliant software firewall, and the active Client for Microsoft Network) is the ability to resolve the name by NetBIOS broadcast

C:\> nbtstat -a [NAS-name]

C:\> nbtstat -A [NAS-IP-address]

If this does not work, the Windows system won't be able to receive the also broadcast based notification of the NAS as a server.

Return to “Windows”