Virtualization STATION and sharing disk inside QNAP

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
fabioqu78
First post

Virtualization STATION and sharing disk inside QNAP

Post by fabioqu78 »

Hi at all.
I have a Qnap ts-x51 series, and a Virtualization STATION running with a Windows 7 64bit fresh installed with an Iso(no Vm imported).
I have set the drive as IDE mode, use the ethernet n°2 that work at 100MB/s.
The problem it is when I want copy a file in the virtual machine to a shared folder inside the same QNAP, the speed it is alway 10 or 11MB/s...It is too slow.
There is any way to copy fastest(virtual to QNAP shared folder)? I don't know very well Qnap...it is my first unit....

Thanks
F.
kbk00
Know my way around

Re: Virtualization STATION and sharing disk inside QNAP

Post by kbk00 »

What kind of disks are you using? The poor performance is likely your disks are thrashing (going from request to request) too often which results in poor transfer speeds. Get disks with high random io performance or SSDs. You can isolate your VM on its own disk as well, if required. That will prevent thrashing.
brummfax
Starting out

Post by brummfax »

Hi everybody,

I have the same problem. While copying files between the VM's virtual hard disc (running with Windows 8 ) and the multimedia folder on the NAS, I get a data transfer between 10 and 20 MB/s, sometimes even slower. If I copy a file between the NAS (e.g. in the multimedia folder) and a laptop which is connected via a Gbit Lan connection to the router (Fritzbox 7490) and hence to the NAS, I can get transfer rates between 100 and 110 MB/s which is much faster.
My NAS is a TS-451 with 2x Western Digital Red 6TB in a Raid 5 configuration. The remaining 2 slots of the TS-451 should host another pair of WD 6TB hard drives in the future extending the current Raid 5 setup. Putting the VM on a separate hard disc is not an option for me as I want to have as much space as possible available for my multimedia collection. Any help will be appreciated!

Best wishes!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

This is Virtualbox issue (basis for Virtaulization Station). Perhaps VS not that good despite the hype.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

storageman wrote:This is Virtualbox issue (basis for Virtaulization Station). Perhaps VS not that good despite the hype.
Virtual Box and Virtualization Station are completely different packages.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Thanks for correction guys, I should have checked.

Think people coming to Virtualisation Station/KVM/Qemu will be disappointed in speed.
kbk00
Know my way around

Post by kbk00 »

I get great speeds transferring data from my VS VMs. When my disk back end has been solid so has been my transfers. I get close to 100 MB/s.
brummfax
Starting out

Post by brummfax »

Hi kbk00,

Can you tell us your disk configuration and on which disk your VM is installed? Moreover, which settings are you using for your VM in VS? (especially hdd and network settings)

A couple of weeks ago I had transfer rates between 20 and 30 MB/s (still quite slow) but now it's again below 10 MB/s, and as far as I know, I haven't changed anything. Very disappointing !!! :evil:
kbk00
Know my way around

Post by kbk00 »

My VS config and VM (win 7 pro) is running with default settings in VS. I used to have a single disk hosting a VM that would transfer data to the qnap interface that would eventually land on the same disk. My throughput was terrible. The disk would just thrash. My current setup is a 5 disk raid 6 with the VM and NAS share on the same spindles. I get ~100MB/s with a dip to 70 or 80 at times. I also have a sixth disk in its own pool that I've hosted a VM on before. That VM would push data to the first raid 6 array at around 110 MB/s. It was a fast WB Black drive. My raid 6 drives are WD SEs.

What exact model x51 do you have? 251 with some bad slow drives or do you have a decent disk back end with a good number of drives supporting the VM? I'm not saying the disk config is the absolute cause but it would be good to verify it isn't.
brummfax
Starting out

Post by brummfax »

Dear kbk00,

many thanks for your quick answer, and please apologize my slow reply. I'm owning a TS-451 with actual Firmware and 2x WD RED 6 TB inside, running in a Raid 5 configuration. (I plan to extend it later to 4 disks.) In the VM-Station I've running two Windows 8.1 VMs, each using the Virtual Gigabit Ethernet Driver and the Virtual Disk Controller provided by QNAP "for better performance" (what a joke). The Cache Modus is set to "Writeback". My feeling is that the smaler VM (100 GB) has sligtly better transfer rates (10 - 30 Mbit/s) than the bigger VM (300 GB) which writes with less than 10 Mbit/s. Very strange!

Any help is highly appreciated, and congratulation for your transfer rates. :D

Best wishes!

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”