Use IMG-File from Virtualization Station on other machine

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
fm415
First post

Use IMG-File from Virtualization Station on other machine

Post by fm415 »

Hello everyone,

I'm using an QNAP 253Pro und run a Win7 Prof in the virtualization station. This Win7 VM runs an ERP-Software which uses an ms-sql lite server which also runs on that VM. The IMG-file of that VM is located on the qnap and shared over a network drive. The QNAP is configured in a raid1 configuration, so the machine is mirrored on two disks and the whole qnap shares are backuped every week on an external usb-disk. So I don't need to mind sql backup and so on as I backup the whole VM.

So here are my questions:

1. I thought I don't need to mind for sql backup and so on as the whole IMG file of the VM is in regulary backup. Is that right ? Or do I need to backup more than the IMG-file?

2. In case the qnap 253p dies and the HDs are fine, can I just change the HDs to a new device and go on ?

3. Is it possible to mount or even run the IMG-file on a other machine in VirtualBox or qemu? My worst case scenario is, if the qnap dies I can use an pc, share the external usb backup disk and run the virtual machine on that temporary PC. This gives me time to fix things. I don't want to use the qnap export function as I need to do this manually every week and as far as I know I need to stop the VM for that. Maybe it is possible to do this over night with a script or so ? Which brings me to the next problem that then I need to mount the usb-dongle for the ERP-software every morning, but that is a minor problem that I can fix with an external usb-to-lan device.

Regarding point 3, I copied the IMG-file from the network share to my local hard drive and converted it with VBoxManage to an VDI file. But If I create a new machine and use this as my hard disk I get an fatal boot error. Tried qemu for windows to use the IMG-file and boot the machine up, but this also doesn't work. I did a little bit of research on the internet and find you that the V.S. is baed on qemu ? So I wonder why it doesn't work.

Any ideas ?

Best regards
FM

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”