Odd reset, and lost domain membership

Questions about using Windows AD service.
509_Online
New here

Odd reset, and lost domain membership

Post by 509_Online »

A few days ago my TS-559 had a bit of a freak-out. The DLNA services were running, but Microsoft networking stopped, and the console was ***extremely*** slow and unresponsive. I kicked off a reboot, which took an hour to complete, and did not solve the problems. There was a firmware update (to 4.1.0) so I applied that. Again, a very long upgrade/reboot cycle, which I had to leave run overnight. (And upgrade has never taken more than 30 minutes before.)

When reviewing things the next day, I realized a few things had occured:
1. the static IP address was gone, it had switched to DHCP. This had happened before the reboot and upgrade, I'd just missed it.
2. Microsoft Networking was turned off. I suspect that this as well occurred before the reboot and upgrade, but I hadn't checked, so I cannot be positive.

Net result though, I'm on the latest (4.1.0) firmware, and the device is no longer on the domain. Not cool.

I've tried to re-join the domain every way I can think of, resetting the existing account, creating a new one, using new admin accounts... I've also tried different domain controllers. The domain is at Windows 2003 functional level, but there are three DC's - one at 2003, one at 2008 R2, one at 2012 R2. I've tried targeting each of them, to no avail. Oddly, occasionally the domain-join process would create a new computer object, but would still fail to finish the join.

Based on another post, I decided to downgrade the firmware to 4.0.7. After the downgrade (which took 4 hours to complete), I started over trying to re-join the domain. Eventually, after targeting the 2003 domain controller, and removing the computer account, it worked.

Now, the questions. Why would the QNAP lose it's static IP, and why would it lose the Microsoft Networking? Why is the console still so slow?
509_Online
New here

Re: Odd reset, and lost domain membership

Post by 509_Online »

For more fun, even though it's now on the domain, and when checking permissions from the console, it says "Windows ACL is currently enabled. Please configure folder and subfolder permissions from Windows Explorer.", I cannot access any shares. I get prompted for authentication, and then get an access denied. This happens for both regular user accounts and Domain Admin accounts.

And the console is still painfully slow. The CPU sits at roughly 5% utilization, RAM is at 58% utilization, and networking is at less than 1 KB/s. This box isn't busy. But, it's taking forever to do anything. (I've been trying to verify permissions on a folder, and it's been sitting spinning away for nearly 10 minutes now. This used to take seconds.)

Very frustrating.

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”