TS-469L -- Domain Creation -- Function Not Found

Questions about using Windows AD service.
matchrocket
New here

TS-469L -- Domain Creation -- Function Not Found

Post by matchrocket »

Hello,

I have a QNAP TS-469L on 4.1.1 build 1003. I am trying to setup my box as a primary domain controller and when I click "Domain Controller" I get an error message that says function not found. I have verified the documentation for my model... and as I understand it this should work.

Secondly, when I go under Privilege Settings, the only options I have are Domain Security... I have to search to find Domain Controller, its not a default icon. This also contradicts the manual.

I opened a ticket but no response from the QNAP service team, so I thought I would try here.

Thank you for any support you can provide.
pwilson
Guru

Re: TS-469L -- Domain Creation -- Function Not Found

Post by pwilson »

matchrocket wrote:Hello,

I have a QNAP TS-469L on 4.1.1 build 1003. I am trying to setup my box as a primary domain controller and when I click "Domain Controller" I get an error message that says function not found. I have verified the documentation for my model... and as I understand it this should work.

Secondly, when I go under Privilege Settings, the only options I have are Domain Security... I have to search to find Domain Controller, its not a default icon. This also contradicts the manual.

I opened a ticket but no response from the QNAP service team, so I thought I would try here.

Thank you for any support you can provide.
Once you have enabled "SMB3.0" and "Domain Security", the default "Domain Controller" icon will appear under Privileges in the WebUI. QNAP claims this will be fixed in QTS 4.1.2 when it gets here. Give it another try after QTS 4.1.2 is released.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
benzo99
Starting out

Post by benzo99 »

I have a TS-659 Pro+ with QTS 4.1.1 an I do not have the "Domain Controller" option under privileges. I can't see how to enable SMB3 and Domain Security - can you elaborate?

Thanks.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

benzo99 wrote:I have a TS-659 Pro+ with QTS 4.1.1 an I do not have the "Domain Controller" option under privileges. I can't see how to enable SMB3 and Domain Security - can you elaborate?

Thanks.
Access the NAS via SSH.

Enable SMB 3.0:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/smb2_protocol.sh enable 3
SMB Status:

/etc/init.d/smb2_protocol.sh status

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

benzo99
Starting out

Post by benzo99 »

[~] # /etc/init.d/smb2_protocol.sh status
smbd (samba daemon) Version 3.6.24
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 2.0 enabled.
Given my smbd version it looks like SMB 3.0 support is not an option.

From some searching I understand that to upgrade to smbd 4.0.x I need to reinitialize my device (I upgraded to 4.1.1). Before I do that, could you confirm that I will get smbd 4.0 afterwards? I really don't want to back up and restore everything for no gain.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

benzo99 wrote:

max protocol SMB 2.0 enabled.
Given my smbd version it looks like SMB 3.0 support is not an option.

From some searching I understand that to upgrade to smbd 4.0.x I need to reinitialize my device (I upgraded to 4.1.1). Before I do that, could you confirm that I will get smbd 4.0 afterwards? I really don't want to back up and restore everything for no gain.
The OP is using an SMB Model with SMB Firmware. You are using a non-SMB model, with non-SMB Firmware.
(You are correct. Your NAS model does not support Samba v4.x).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

benzo99
Starting out

Post by benzo99 »

The OP is using an SMB Model with SMB Firmware. You are using a non-SMB model, with non-SMB Firmware.
Thanks for the clarification - you've saved me some time and eventual frustration.

So how does one know if they have an SMB model? I tried to find out but couldn't find anything. I know the TS-659 Pro+ is kind of old, but I was hoping it would fall into the "SMB" category given what it caost 3 years ago!
benzo99
Starting out

Post by benzo99 »

benzo99 wrote:So how does one know if they have an SMB model? I tried to find out but couldn't find anything. I know the TS-659 Pro+ is kind of old, but I was hoping it would fall into the "SMB" category given what it caost 3 years ago!
Never mind. I worked out that you need to look carefully at the documentation page. Devices listed on the left are 'home' and devices on the right are 'SMB'. The clue is in the documentation URL, which will contain /Home/ or /SMB/.

Thanks again.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

benzo99 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification - you've saved me some time and eventual frustration.

So how does one know if they have an SMB model? I tried to find out but couldn't find anything. I know the TS-659 Pro+ is kind of old, but I was hoping it would fall into the "SMB" category given what it caost 3 years ago!
You'll find this information cleverly hidden on Page 1 of the fine manuals.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Eraser-EMC2-
Been there, done that

Post by Eraser-EMC2- »

The documentation page says the TS-x69L/Pro is a SMB-NAS.
I read in the past to get SAMBA4 you have use a command like /etc/init.d/smb.sh reinstall
or something else
You should find it in the forum.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... ll#p439492
TS-220 , 2x 2TB Samsung, for Backup
rabotto
Starting out

Post by rabotto »

From Qnap Support
On 4.1.0 official firmwares for SMB model (TS-x69, TS-x70, TS-x79, TS-x80), we have claimed that they include samba 4.0 with support of SMB 3.0 protocol and domain controller function.
However, As samba 4.0 is still not mature, to prevent any unexpected side effect caused by this new samba version, only newly initialized NAS on firmware 4.1.0 include samba 4.0. If you upgrade from older firmware, for stability concern, the samba version is still 3.6.
If customers upgrade from older firmware and want to use samba 4.0 feature, but don't want to reinitialize the NAS, the following steps can add samba 4.0 to the firmware without reinitialization:
1. run "/etc/init.d/samba4.sh reinstall_samba keep" in console.
2. run "/etc/init.d/thttpd.sh restart" in console.
3. relogin webUI.

Note: 4.1.0 official firmware for SOHO models (HS-210, TS-x10, TS-x12, TS-x19, TS-x20, TS-x21, TS-509/809, TS-x39, TS-x59, SS-439/839 series) still use samba 3.6, and cannot upgrade to samba 4.0.
EGrassi
Starting out

Post by EGrassi »

I'm looking for more in-depth documentation about this question. I've just upgraded my QNAP TS-809URP to 4.1.1 but the "Domain Controller" entry is not in the privileges section.

max protocol SMB 1.0 enabled.

What am I supposed to do to enable protocol 3? The reinstal_samba keep gives me an error and:

[~] # /etc/init.d/smb2_protocol.sh enable 3
max protocol SMB 3.0 ... not supported.

[~] # /etc/init.d/samba4.sh reinstall_samba keep
NO /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/samba4.tgz
I also tried with /etc/init.d/samba4.sh addc_enable with no luck. (stopped and restarted the services then in the web log I saw "[Domain Services] A domain mbc creating was failed".
A pointer to some documentation would be great to me as long as reading the release notes it just seemed that this new release would be able to act as a domain controller out of the box.
Eraser-EMC2-
Been there, done that

Post by Eraser-EMC2- »

As you can see in the overview of the manual,
the TS-809 URP is in the section of Home-NAS.
http://www.qnap.com/i/de/support/con_show.php?cid=11
In this case your NAS do not support an AD Domain Controler.
TS-220 , 2x 2TB Samsung, for Backup
EGrassi
Starting out

Post by EGrassi »

I see, thank you. Sorry I was misleaded by the two columns and the feature listed for this new firmware version that seemed all related to all the supported NAS. Moreover I wonder who has a home-rack (I would like a power rack to tell the truth so maybe that's not so strange :shock: )...

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”