Qnap Domain Controller Forwarding

Questions about using Windows AD service.
Test_Network
First post

Qnap Domain Controller Forwarding

Post by Test_Network »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to enable DNS forwarding on the 'domain controller' feature of my QNAP Nas.

Model name: TVS-EC-1080+
Firmware version: 4.1.3
Operation System (OS): Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.3/Windows 7
OS Language: English (US)
Number of HDDs: 10
HDD model: hgst ultrastar he8
HDD capacity: 6TB
RAID configuration: 10
Services enabled, e.g. Download Station, DDNS, FTP, NFS: Domain Controller (Control Panel > Domain Controller)
NAS connection speed/ MTU (found in Network Settings>TCP/IP page): 1 Gbps (10 Gbps to come via sfp+ when switches will be upgraded)

So far, I have followed QNAP's documentation to enable/configure the 'domain controller' functionality on this Nas. In turn, this has enabled QNAP's DNS server functionality.

http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/SMB/en/ind ... roller.htm

I set the following network configurations Nas eth5 interface configurations

IPv4 address: 192.168.2.14/24
Gateway: 192.168.2.1 (ubiquity router on my network)
Primary DNS: 192.168.2.14
Secondary DNS: 192.168.2.14

The network router's DHCP server is set to have all client's DNS queries point towards the NAS (192.168.2.14).
I can ping the NAS's server name without any issues.

Now what I can't figure out, is how to set DNS Fowarding on Qnap's DNS server. I've attempted to modify the Qnap's smb.conf file in the following way (ssh to NAS as admin):

dns forwarder = 192.168.2.14

My attempt to ping an external address (from one domain pc) such as www.google.com, did not resolve. I was stumped, so I contacted QNAP support and asked them what language QNAP's dns server is based on. This is the answer I received:

"QNAPs run a stripped down linux so our DNS solution will be linux based. I believe we use BIND DMZ module with BIND as the backend."

Personally, I'm not a wizard at DNS. I have heard of Bind LMZ, but not Bind DMZ. I believe the support agent meant to say Bind LMZ.

http://bind-dlz.sourceforge.net/

And so I wonder if anyone in the QNAP community, might know how to configure DNS Forwarding on a QNAP DNS server. I appreciate any leads you might have and will post the results of the outcome as this forum has helped me many times since my recent purchase.

Thanks everyone.
sinahashemi
First post

Re: Qnap Domain Controller Forwarding

Post by sinahashemi »

i have the same problem :((( HELP!
How set Dns Forwarding in Qnap
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Of course, if all DNS indicators are pointing to the NAS Domain Controller DNS ... how should it ever be able to resolve anything beyond it's own scope?

1. The NAS platform DNS server must be configured to be able to resolve the "global" DNS, so either point it to the Domain Controller interface assuming the DOmain COntroller is always up, _or_ alternatively point it to the router LAN interface (assuming there is a DNS server, DNS relay, DNS forwarder ... or however it's named), the ISP DNS servers, any public DNS like Google, ... - this will ensure the NAS s able to use the DNS of the rest of the world.

2. The NAS Domain Controller DNS dns forwarder IP must be set to point to the router LAN IP, an ISP DNS, ... as above in #1 ... as the forwarder is the DNS forwarder or DNS server for the rest of the world.

3. All domain clients must make use of the Domain Controller integrated DNS (you don't have to care what code is in place at all).

4. The Domain Controller DNS must include DNS entries (at least A and PTR) to resolve name->IPv4 and IPv4->name

That's it - can't be easier.

Regards,
-Kurt.
ketchup7138
First post

Post by ketchup7138 »

If you have DNS server other than SAMBA internal one on QNAP NAS in your network, you can add zone info to the DNS. I added my own BIND9 DNS as follows.

zone "qnap.samba.domain" {
type forward;
forwarders {
192.168.xxx.xxxx;
};
forward only;
};

In the above setting, 192.168.xxx.xxx is IP address of QNAP NAS.
lI_wizard_Il
Starting out

Post by lI_wizard_Il »

schumaku wrote:2. The NAS Domain Controller DNS dns forwarder IP must be set to point to the router LAN IP, an ISP DNS, ... as above in #1 ... as the forwarder is the DNS forwarder or DNS server for the rest of the world.
Any simple instructions how to do this?

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”