No Domain Controller option...

Questions about using Windows AD service.
AleksanderS
First post

No Domain Controller option...

Post by AleksanderS »

Hi guys,

I tried to set up QNAP 859 as a secondary domain controller to existing Windows domain... but I don't see "Domain Controller" option.
I'm using 4.1.3 Build.

Print - screen attached.
no_dc_option.JPG
Please help :)

Greetings,
Aleksander.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tecpc
New here

Re: No Domain Controller option...

Post by tecpc »

Hello,

I have the same problem. I use a TS-869U-RP with os 4.1.3. Its no Domain Controller option. I Want to Use my TS-869U-RP as primary Domain Controller.

Please help.
Thanks

Daniel
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Afraid, the TS-x59 Series (and earlier, like TS-x63, TS-509/809) don't come with SAMBA 4 - so no Domain Controller functionality available.

Check the product specs or http://docs.qnap.com/ FMI.

PS. There was an option to force these NAS models to SAMBA4, however this might be no longer possible - because of the tar ball is no longer up2date or available.
tecpc
New here

Post by tecpc »

Thaks for answer, i've checked the Product specs for my NAS. The Chapter 5.6 show me the configuration option for Domain Contoller but my OS don´t show me these options. I feel lost.

Daniel
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

tecpc wrote:I have the same problem.
Nope, different...
tecpc wrote:I use a TS-869U-RP with os 4.1.3. Its no Domain Controller option. I Want to Use my TS-869U-RP as primary Domain Controller. ... The Chapter 5.6 show me the configuration option for Domain Contoller but my OS don´t show me these options.
NAS configured on earlier firmware versions are not automatically convert to SAMBA 4 - QNAP :roll:

Of course - trouble is QNAP decided not to make SAMBA 4 available by default on NAS migrated from earlier firmware versions and SAMBA 3.x - so no SMB 3.0 or Domain COntroller options.

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/samba4.sh reinstall_samba keep
[~] # /etc/init.d/samba4.sh reinstall_samba keep
reinstall samba!!!!
Shutting down SMB services: smbd nmbd.
Shutting down winbindd services: winbindd.
install /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/samba4.tgz
Restarting SMB services:
Version 3.6.24 -> Version 4.0.16
locks path was set to /share/MD0_DATA/.locks
Starting winbindd services:Starting SMB services:.
done.
Now SMB 3.0 protocol should be available - can't tell you right now if a reboot is required or just a re-login get the smb3enable:

[~] # smb3enable

For the Domain Controller controls to appear ... I don't know if the process above is sufficient, if there is a need to logout and re-login again, or a reboot is required.

Please nobody try this in the TS-x59 (or similar older NAS where the samba4.sh and samba4.tgz is available) - it does refuse to keep SAMBA 4.

Regards,
-Kurt.
tecpc
New here

Post by tecpc »

Great it works!

Thank you.

Regards

Daniel
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

tecpc wrote:Thaks for answer, i've checked the Product specs for my NAS. The Chapter 5.6 show me the configuration option for Domain Contoller but my OS don´t show me these options. I feel lost.
You need to enable Domain Security before the option becomes available. Check out the Domain Controller section of the SMB version of the QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual.

This feature is NOT supported on models that use the "Home" version of the Firmware, and therefore the "Home" version of the QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual as already explained by schumaku.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
intplus
First post

Post by intplus »

It is very unfortunate and quite frustrating. I bought my TS-559 Pro+ a few years ago and it was listed in the SMB category. It now seems to have been silently "demoted" to the Home category?

I did manage to upgrade SMB to v2.0 using the following command:

Code: Select all

[/etc/init.d] # ./smb2_protocol.sh status
smbd (samba daemon) Version 3.6.25
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 1.0 enabled.

[/etc/init.d] # ./smb2_protocol.sh enable 2
max protocol SMB 2.0 ... enabled.
locks path was set to /share/MD0_DATA/.locks
Starting winbindd services: winbindd.
Starting SMB services:.
smbd (samba daemon) Version 3.6.25
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 2.0 enabled.

[/etc/init.d] # ./smb2_protocol.sh enable 3
max protocol SMB 3.0 ... not supported.
But SMB v3.0 is still unsupported.

What frustrates me even more is that I just bought a TS-231 (for another purpose) that has much lower capacity (CPU, RAM, disks) than my TS-559 Pro+ and it has SAMBA 4. I conclude that the limitation is not because of the hardware capacity but rather a deliberate choice of QNAP not to include SAMBA 4 in the firmware intended for older models in order to force people to buy newer units to get the latest features.

I understand that QNAP needs to make money somehow. And providing free full upgrades forever is not one of them. However, I would not mind paying something to "unlock" the latest features instead of having to buy a new unit to replace one that still works perfectly.

If someone finds a way to get a TS-X59 working with SAMBA 4, please let me know.

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”