NTP connection

Questions about using Windows AD service.
FliP
New here

Re: NTP connection

Post by FliP »

Hi again,

Goolging turned up the following page: http://www.stephensykes.com/blog_perm.html?46

Apparently, you need to use an unprivileged port (whatever that is) by using the -u option. The -d option automatically does this. So this will work from a console:

ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org

Now the question is: what's an unprivileged port and how can the webinterface get one?!?

FliP
FliP
New here

Post by FliP »

Hi again again,

Apologies for posting several messages, but I got time sync to work from the web interface:

put '-u ' in front of the server you want to use; so in the text box, put '-u pool.ntp.org' (without the quotes) and it works....

FliP
petur

Post by petur »

an unprivileged port would be anything above 1024 I think...
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland
Hector
Starting out

Post by Hector »

:oops: I just talked to the guy that manages our firewall. Now it turns out that the *insert VERY ugly word here* had blocked for UDP port 123 :evil: . After we opened that up. The boxes could connect to pool.ntp.org without any problem. But still I am wondering why the Qnap´s couldn´t get the time from my internal servers. But for now, problem solved.

And many many many thanks for good ideas.
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Hi Hector, you could try with the -u option above? Good find btw.!
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
Hector
Starting out

Post by Hector »

Hi Frisbee,

Well, since the issue now is solved I aint suppose to spend time on it. But hopefully some of the others will :) and reply here.

Du ved jo hvordan de schæfere kan være :lol:
speedway_be
Starting out

Post by speedway_be »

The update works indeed with -u, but I'm not able to save it like that because '-' is not an allowed character.
This means automatic update isn't possible, only manual by clicking update...
Any another solution here ?
Polarbjørn
Starting out

Post by Polarbjørn »

Hi did this ever get fixed, Ive got the exact same problem. I tried adding the "-u" through the web interface this didn´t help.. Whats the next step??? I can ping pool.ntp.org...
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Polarbjørn wrote:Hi did this ever get fixed, Ive got the exact same problem
This gets fixed by fixing your firewall settings.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Polarbjørn
Starting out

Post by Polarbjørn »

The firewall on Mac is turned off, my Time capsule under IPv6 mode is set to "Link-local only" should it be set too "host or tunnel or router". According to what I have read apple uses port123 so it should be open.. Need a bit of help what do I need to check??
I tried forwarding the port aswell it didn´t make a difference..
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Errrr.. .what Mac? The internet gateway firewall. Not whatever workstation, completely irrelevant and useless to tinker with.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Polarbjørn wrote:The firewall on Mac is turned off, my Time capsule under IPv6 mode is set to "Link-local only" should it be set too "host or tunnel or router". According to what I have read apple uses port123 so it should be open.. Need a bit of help what do I need to check??
I tried forwarding the port aswell it didn´t make a difference..
You NAS doesn't care about your PC. Whether it's running OS X®, Windows® or Linux® is completely irrelevant. The issue is your Router. Network Time Protocol uses the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) on port number 123. You need to check your internet gateway firewall (probably your Router), to ensure that it permits data on port 123/UDP to pass through, so that devices inside your network, (especially your NAS in this context) can contact Internet NTP Time Servers.

There is no need to setup it up for unprivileged ports about 1024, it works just fine (and just as designed) on Port 123/UDP. Check your Router's Firewall settings, to ensure outbound packets of port 123/UDP are permitted to leave your network. You should probably be using an NTP Server specific to your jurisdiction. Using "pool.ntp.org" is not a good idea, use one that is specific to where you live. See article: Belgium — be.pool.ntp.org, assuming you live in Belgium. (Thanks for not sharing your location :roll:).

You can configure the Time Server on the "General Settings" portion of the NAS WebUI

Thanks for not sharing your Firmware version either. :roll: Going forward please review article: When you're asking a question, please include the following prior to posting questions to this Forums System. It is difficult to provide helpful responses to questions, when incomplete information is provided in the original question.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Polarbjørn
Starting out

Post by Polarbjørn »

OSX 10.8.4
Firmware 4.0.2
Norway
Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking) Don´t even know what this means

Have changed the ntp server,to no.pool.org. Opened a port on my Time Capsule... But not working and the port is not opening, very strange.. It should be open...
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Unless your internet is connected via Time Capsule, you can open whatever you want there and it will have absolutely no effect whatsoever.
Polarbjørn
Starting out

Post by Polarbjørn »

Sorry doktornotor what do you mean. I know how to do certain things but still need a bit of guidance

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”