NTP connection

Questions about using Windows AD service.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: NTP connection

Post by doktornotor »

You need to allow UDP/123 on your internet gateway (DSL, cable modem, dunno what else). That is the thing the wire from the wall goes to. If you do not understand, well... then live without time sync or get qualified help from your ISP. Outgoing traffic is normally not blocked at all.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Polarbjørn
Starting out

Post by Polarbjørn »

doktornotor wrote:You need to allow UDP/123 on your internet gateway (DSL, cable modem, dunno what else). That is the thing the wire from the wall goes to. If you do not understand, well... then live without time sync or get qualified help from your ISP. Outgoing traffic is normally not blocked at all.
Thats it when it gets too technical, cut the BS and tell it as it is. "That is the thing the wire from the wall goes to" bloody perfect explanation. That is the kind of reply people who dont know alot about routers, modems, ports,gateways and so on understand. Why didnt anybody say 4 posts back 1 day ago " its your port on your modem"
THANK-YOU doktornotor can contact isp tomorrow and find out why its blocked

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4
rdr2180
First post

Post by rdr2180 »

hi,
I have the same issue and it is not related to firewall settings.

I'm running two QNAP NASses:
- one TS-459 Pro+
- one TS-412
both connected to the same network, both using the same setting, both using the same router and router settings

The 412 informs me every day that it couldn't sync to the NTP time
The 459 syncs without any problem.

There must be something in the 412 settings that causes this
stilmant
First post

Post by stilmant »

Same here... with TS-421. 'ntpdate router name' is working from the NAS 'shell but everyday same NTP Sync error from NAS.
Current firmware version 4.0.7 (NTP sync was working before upgrade... but I don't rememeber if I used a trick)
aphccltd
First post

Post by aphccltd »

Nice simple fix

Put in the server box you computers network name! ie andys-pc then the nas will sync the time with your computer or server instead of ntp.pool.org site or use time.windows.com that works fine for me on my clients nas drives and my own.

Regards

Andy

APH C.C. LTD

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”