Can't find Chromecast device in 4.2 Video Station?

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
mclandypl
Starting out

Can't find Chromecast device in 4.2 Video Station?

Post by mclandypl »

I have just upgraded my TS-120 to RC2 of QTS 4.2, and I was eager to try the built-in support for streaming to my Chromecast device from Video Station. The only problem is that when I click on the Network Media Player icon in the upper right, it never finds my Chromecast device. All of my phones, tablets, computers have no problem finding the Chromecast, so I know it's working. Is there something I need to install or configure to enable Video Station in 4.2 RC2 to find my Chromecast?
mclandypl
Starting out

Re: Can't find Chromecast device in 4.2 Video Station?

Post by mclandypl »

Update: I turned on my Sony Blu-Ray player, which I know is DLNA compliant, and the new Video Station was able to detect that. Am I misunderstanding that Chromecast is supported in this new release?
mclandypl
Starting out

Post by mclandypl »

From some indications in the management UI, and comments here in the forums, I was thinking that I needed to install the Media Streaming add-on, which I did. So then I tried to open it, and all I get is a blank web page. Looking at the log, it seems like it might be failing in the qdms.js script as it tries to load a language-related script "undefined?", as follows:

GET http://192.168.1.201:8080/apps/upnp/ext ... np/qdms.js [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 0ms]
GET http://192.168.1.201:8080/apps/upnp/ext ... defined.js [HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found 0ms]

I'm guessing that's why I see nothing on the web page for this app, although I don't know how to correct it. I do have English as the selected language in the Control Panel codepage setting, but I'm not seeing anywhere else I can set the language.

So if there is something helpful on that page relating to finding/selecting a Chromecast as the renderer, I wouldn't know at this point, because I can't see the page.
mclandypl
Starting out

Post by mclandypl »

OK, fixed the language issue by finding the Language setting in the QTS desktop (it's under the "3-dot" setting menu in the upper right), and changing it from "Auto-detect" to "English". So now I get more than a blank page when I launch the Media Streaming Add-on. There is a Media Receiver section, but unfortunately, the Chromecast does not appear in that list, either.

So it still looks like there is no way to have QTS 4.2 detect and use a Chromecast. What am I missing?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

While the Media Streaming add-on is required for Chromecast and Airplay functionality, the control does contain DLNA DMR/DMC configuration stuff only ... what Chromecast does not make use of.

Consider to get in touch with the QNAP - https://helpdesk.qnap.com/ - suspect something specific to your NAS model/config/data. Don't forget to add a link to this thread.
birchescrest
First post

Post by birchescrest »

Hi

I am new to the forum.

I have just upgraded to 4.2 and as like you looking forward to the streaming to my Chromecast. I also have the same issue where I am unable to view my Chromecast within the Media Streaming Add-on .

Did you get any further with this?

Many thanks
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

birchescrest wrote: I also have the same issue where I am unable to view my Chromecast within the Media Streaming Add-on .
You sill never see it there - hate quoting myself:
schumaku wrote:While the Media Streaming add-on is required for Chromecast and Airplay functionality, the control does contain DLNA DMR/DMC configuration stuff only ... what Chromecast does not make use of
Video Station does allow to right-click on the video, select Streaming to ... and in the network players, you should find the Chromecast(s) among of others:
Video Station - Streaming to - Chromecast.PNG
...or listed in the Network Media Players...
Video Station - Network Media Players.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tdyollear
Starting out

Post by tdyollear »

schumaku, your post is not helpful. Our problem is that we CANNOT see our chromecasts in those 2 menus. We have those menus, we know where they are, but Chromecasts never show up in them.
johnson407
Easy as a breeze

Post by johnson407 »

Are you sure they are on the same network? First three number of your ip address should be the same

Phones can find chromecast via wifi direct, but not NAS, or not currently at least
Diablo1399
Getting the hang of things

Post by Diablo1399 »

I am having the same issue. Just upgraded to 4.2, installed Media Streaming Add-on, but it cannot find Chromecast as a media receiver.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Allow some potentially silly questions:

Are the Chromecast devices in question connected to the Wireless network at all?

Dos the router (or whatever) DHCP server show the Chromecast MAC address, and the "hand-out" of the IP address and network configuration?

Is there no filtering of data (including ie. multicast - Chromecast does make use of Bonjour) in the network bridge between the switched and the wireless network? Far to easy having a misconfigured or broken (not uncommon in the consumer c**p, but exists even on business class units) WLAN router or WLAN access point with disabled or broken IGMP multicast support blocking or destroying link-local multicast addresses (IPv4 Group 224.0.0.251 /
IPv6 Group FF02::FB) or blocking UDP 5353.
Diablo1399

Post by Diablo1399 »

schumaku wrote:Allow some potentially silly questions:

Are the Chromecast devices in question connected to the Wireless network at all?
Yep it's connected to the WiFi and I can stream to it.

Dos the router (or whatever) DHCP server show the Chromecast MAC address, and the "hand-out" of the IP address and network configuration?
Yes, Chromecast is listed by name on the client list at 192.168.1.143
Is there no filtering of data (including ie. multicast - Chromecast does make use of Bonjour) in the network bridge between the switched and the wireless network? Far to easy having a misconfigured or broken (not uncommon in the consumer c**p, but exists even on business class units) WLAN router or WLAN access point with disabled or broken IGMP multicast support blocking or destroying link-local multicast addresses (IPv4 Group 224.0.0.251 /
IPv6 Group FF02::FB) or blocking UDP 5353.
The NAS is connected by wired ethernet to the router. I don't believe I have enabled anything that would block this, though I have switched off IPv6.
juanmi
New here

Post by juanmi »

Have you tried to enable Bonjour service?
renatodelgaudio
New here

Post by renatodelgaudio »

juanmi wrote:Have you tried to enable Bonjour service?
I had the same issue and enabling the DNLA Media Server (Control Panel -> Network Services -> Service Discovery -> Bonjour) it worked for me.

I can now stream videos to my Swisscom TVBOX, Chromecast and so on.

Enjoy

Renato
Diablo1399

Post by Diablo1399 »

renatodelgaudio wrote:
juanmi wrote:Have you tried to enable Bonjour service?
I had the same issue and enabling the DNLA Media Server (Control Panel -> Network Services -> Service Discovery -> Bonjour) it worked for me.

I can now stream videos to my Swisscom TVBOX, Chromecast and so on.

Enjoy

Renato
I have enabled the DNLA Media Service in Bonjour, but it still cannot detect Chromecast. It does detect my WDTVLIVE, but it detected this before enabling Bonjour.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”