Drive Management for Movies and Music

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
juntorrefiel
First post

Drive Management for Movies and Music

Post by juntorrefiel »

Good Day!

I would like to ask for suggestions on the best drive management for movies, music, pictures on my TS-412. A single disk volume, Raid 0 or JBOD? Thanks.

Jun
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: Drive Management for Movies and Music

Post by doktornotor »

juntorrefiel wrote:A single disk volume, Raid 0 or JBOD? Thanks.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Briain
Experience counts

Re: Drive Management for Movies and Music

Post by Briain »

Hello and a warm welcome to the Qnap community forum! :)

As alluded to in the above post ( :D ) both if these schemes are extremely risky ones to use. If you look at how RAID 0 works, it effectively scatters each file across all the disks, so when one disk fails, you lose all of your data and the NAS stops working (basically. You have to start from scratch, as though you were setting up a completely new NAS).

Of course, you should also back up your data (no matter which system you choose), but in your case, I'd recommend you use RAID 5, as that permits one disk to fail and it all keeps working and hopefully without any data loss (so without switching the Qnap off, you can simply remove the broken disk, replace it, and the system will synchronise the new disk into the RAID 5 set without you having to do anything more complicated than that). This not only means you shouldn't lose any data, but obviously, as the NAS also continues working (albeit at risk should another disk fail) so no loss of user service (users accessing their data, or playing their media files), either.

Of course, bigger disasters than a single disk failure are not impossible (and another disk could fail when rebuilding the set) so that's why you should also have a backup (consider disks in USB caddies or a USB disk dock). Personally, I have all that and also an off-site backup as although most of my NAS is filled with media (45,000 FLAC files) I also keep all my data on it (so only one thing to back up; my Qnap) and the thought of losing all that is, well, it just isn't thinkable.

Hope that helps
Bri
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”