Remote replication and encryption at destination

Discussion on remote replication.
Mylan
First post

Remote replication and encryption at destination

Post by Mylan »

Hi!

I would like to get two TS-220 and use remote replication between them. However, for privacy reasons the data from each TS-220 should not be readable for the user of the other TS-220.

If I get it right, the encrypted remote replication is only for the transmission? If this is true, it is really a missing feature that the destination can't be password protected. Of course, the admin of each respective TS-220 can always remove all data and that can't be avoided. But being able to read the full text of the data is another thing.

Is there an easy way to set up an automated encrypted replication with an app maybe?
puggito
New here

Re: Remote replication and encryption at destination

Post by puggito »

Up Î

I am looking for such a kind of configuration for a while !
did you succeed in setting up a working solution ?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Mylan wrote:Hi!

I would like to get two TS-220 and use remote replication between them. However, for privacy reasons the data from each TS-220 should not be readable for the user of the other TS-220.

If I get it right, the encrypted remote replication is only for the transmission? If this is true, it is really a missing feature that the destination can't be password protected. Of course, the admin of each respective TS-220 can always remove all data and that can't be avoided. But being able to read the full text of the data is another thing.

Is there an easy way to set up an automated encrypted replication with an app maybe?
The uid=0 user, ("root" on Linux/UNIX, "admin" on QTS) can read any file on the system regardless of permissions. (Welcome to the 1969 invention of the "SuperUser" under UNIX).

You are correct, it only encrypts the "transport" rather than the file itself. If you don't want remote "admins" to be able to read file contents, then you need to encrypt the files themselves prior to transmission. (There are multiple ways of doing this, even on low-end "Home" NAS devices like your TS-220's).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
JoeJoeJoe
Easy as a breeze

Post by JoeJoeJoe »

Can Crashplan do what you want?
Balin99
New here

Post by Balin99 »

Hi Patrick,

I also have the need to have encrypted files in the destination folder.
in above post you mention that here are ways to do this, can you outline this?

This is my setting:
TS-451+ (QTS 4.2.0) with AES-encryption enabled for important data
TS-410 (QTS 4.2.0) without AES-encryption with "unimportant" data
Both NAS are in the same network.

As part of my backup strategy I want to backup the data from TS-451+ in encrypted form on the TS-410.
How can I do this?

Best regards
Balin

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”