Nas Backup

Discussion on remote replication.
japex
Know my way around

Nas Backup

Post by japex »

Hi there,

Im setting up my backup policy using 2 QNAPs. I'll backup my Office Qnap to my Home Qnap.
So i'd like to know some things:

1-Whats the difference between Rsync, RTRR and NAS to NAS Backup?
2-As i dont have Fixed IP at home, may I use DDNS service from Qnap as Address? (I saw somewhere that they dont recommend to transfer larger amount of data)
3-I've used RTRR in the past but it only offered me the possibility to create groups of 5 Folders.
Is there any possibility to haver larger groups? Or backup my entire NAS?

Thanks a lot

JapeX
JapeX
---------------------
QNAP 559 Pro II
QNAP 859 Pro
pwilson
Guru

Re: Nas Backup

Post by pwilson »

japex wrote:I'm setting up my backup policy using 2 QNAPs. I'll backup my Office Qnap to my Home Qnap.
So i'd like to know some things:

1-Whats the difference between Rsync, RTRR and NAS to NAS Backup?

The differences are actually well documented. Try reading the Backup Station section of the fine manual. By your own admission you are talking about "NAS to NAS" backups, so this should narrow down your choices a whole bunch.

All Backup options in Backup Station use either RSync or FTP.
japex wrote:2-As i dont have Fixed IP at home, may I use DDNS service from Qnap as Address? (I saw somewhere that they dont recommend to transfer larger amount of data)
Yes. You can use any Dynamic DNS service you want, including QNAP's Free MyQNAPCloud Service. (This is also documented in the fine manual).
japex wrote:3-I've used RTRR in the past but it only offered me the possibility to create groups of 5 Folders.
Is there any possibility to haver larger groups? Or backup my entire NAS?
And it still does. Backup your "shares" 5 at a time, or use Don's technique of creating "symlinks" to the folders you actually want backed up. Check out pre-existing message thread: Backing up my own directories using External Backup.

This thread is easy to find if you use the Advanced search function of this Forum system. (Cleverly "hidden" in plain sight at the top of every page of this Forum system).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
japex
Know my way around

Re: Nas Backup

Post by japex »

Ok. Thanks... Ill try that.
JapeX
---------------------
QNAP 559 Pro II
QNAP 859 Pro

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”