Remote Replication problems (replicating --:--:--)

Discussion on remote replication.
waj
New here

Remote Replication problems (replicating --:--:--)

Post by waj »

I am hoping someone can help. I have always relied on Qnap NAS boxes, since my first TS-109, then TS-210 and now a TS-251 without any incidents until now. I am currently using the TS-251 to remote replicate to the TS-210 and both are currently on Firmware 4.1.3 0408, the issue I appear to have is that when using the scheduled nas to nas or even rsync from the 251 to 210, it will sit at Replicating --:--:-- and not do anything at all. I have 15 backup jobs, each run at seperate times to avoid any over lap, the TS-251 starts each schedule on time but some just sit there at replicating and do nothing, even after leaving them for hours. I will break this down to give you an example
job1 starts at 18:00
job2 starts at 18:02
job3 starts at 18:04
job4 starts at 18:06
job5 starts at 18:08
etc etc
job1 starts at 18:00 and completes sucessfully at 18:00 (nothing to sync)
job2 starts at 18:02 and sits there with the following (there is nothing to sync on this job either)
Replicating 0 %
Remain time : --:--:--
job3 starts at 18:04 and sits at the same message as job2 (again nothing to sync)
job4 starts at 18:06 and completes sucessfully at 18:06 (again nothing to sync)
job5 starts at 18:08 and sit with the message as job2 and job3 (data needing to be sync'd)
it appears to be random as to the amount of jobs that sit saying replicating 0 % remain time : --:--:--
if i stop these and run them manually, it works fine 9 times out of 10, so i tried using Rsync but the same appears to happen. What is strange is that before the TS-251 was my primary NAS, the TS-210 did the same jobs on the same version of firmware and that worked flawlessly to the TS-251. Ideally I would like the sync jobs to work each time or at least email me with an error, but this doesn't seem to happen, most likely due to the job still being in progress. Is there anyway i can look at the logs to see what is happening with rsync and do you know how i can get to these?. The system event logs just say job3 started and then job3 stopped after I manually stop them, the ones that work say started and then finished. I have looked at the 4.1.4 firmware changelog but cannot see anything related to rsync or replication. Please help.
waj
New here

Re: Remote Replication problems (replicating --:--:--)

Post by waj »

Finally found the cause, turns out to be an app causing this behaviour
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

It would be considered nice forum behaviour if you would be so kind as revealing what app was the cause of the issue and any other information that could be useful for other members of this user community when having this same issue in the future.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
waj
New here

Post by waj »

P3R - Although it is an app causing this behaviour, I have not narrowed it down to which one it is as yet, also my intention is to inform the masses. What I can say, it is likely Plex media server version 0.9.9.14.5, however, I do need to individually check the other apps I had installed and also try a newer version of Plex. Please bear with

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”