Use NAS like DFS

Discussion on remote replication.
mantangsoo
New here

Use NAS like DFS

Post by mantangsoo »

I want to place some QNAPS in some SOHO offices and use them like a DFS server. I need to be able to replicate from a Windows 2008 R2 server file share to the NAS, and then have any changes on made on the NAS replicate back to the Windows share.

Is this possible using RTRR or any other third party tools? It looks to me like RTRR is for NAS to NAS or NAS to an FTP sever.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Use NAS like DFS

Post by Trexx »

While the QNAP could be a DFS Link Target, it cannot leverage Microsoft's build in DFS-R replication. One "kludgy" option would be to grab a larger QNAP model that has VM support and run Windows Server VM's which would leverage the QNAP storage. Then you could use native Windows DFS capabilities for replication/synchronization. Not pretty, but a way to workaround the issue.

I am not sure how good the performance would be though depending on # of users at each office.
Last edited by Trexx on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

mantangsoo wrote:I want to place some QNAPS in some SOHO offices and use them like a DFS server. I need to be able to replicate from a Windows 2008 R2 server file share to the NAS, and then have any changes on made on the NAS replicate back to the Windows share.

I can't image doing this across the Internet, especially without OpenVPN, but you can semi-approximate DFS by following QNAP Tutorial: Shared Folder Aggregation How-to Guide.

Exposing Samba to the Internet is a very very bad idea, so I would strongly recommend that you implement OpenVPN between sites if you do decide to attempt following the information in QNAP Tutorial: Shared Folder Aggregation How-to Guide.

To make this tolerable performance wise, you will probably need very fast Internet connections in each of your SOHO offices.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
mantangsoo
New here

Post by mantangsoo »

The Shared Folder Aggregation looks like it just contains links to the shares and does not copy the actual data down. Do I understand that correctly? I want the data locally for performance. The sites are connected via VPN as well.

I was thinking about seeding the NAS locally before sending to the SOHO sites so an initial replication would not be slow.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

mantangsoo wrote:The Shared Folder Aggregation looks like it just contains links to the shares and does not copy the actual data down. Do I understand that correctly? I want the data locally for performance. The sites are connected via VPN as well.

I was thinking about seeding the NAS locally before sending to the SOHO sites so an initial replication would not be slow.
Use RTRR for this task then.

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.. You have not provided your NAS Model on your Forum Profile, and have not provided it in your message. This makes it almost impossible to help you properly.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

mantangsoo
New here

Post by mantangsoo »

Will RTRR allow me to replicate from a Windows File Server to the NAS and vice versa?

The documentation doesn't list that scenario:
http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/Home/en/in ... l?home.htm

"Real-time Remote Replication (RTRR) provides real-time or scheduled data replication and one-way and two-way data synchronization between two locations (such as local NAS and a remote NAS, local NAS and an FTP server, or local NAS and an external drive, or replication between two local folders.) "
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

No it won't. You either will need to run a Windows VM on the NAS, and replicate that way (kludgy) or go to a fully NAS based storage view and leverage RTRR. Even then I am not sure that it will do exactly what you are trying to do.

For example, say you you have 2 different sites make 2 different sets of changes to a file at the same time. DFS will NOT arbitrate the 2 changes... basically whoever writes last wins. DFS works best with single "Write", and multiple READ versions as more of a remote cache type usage.
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

<duplicate>
Last edited by Trexx on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

mantangsoo wrote:Will RTRR allow me to replicate from a Windows File Server to the NAS and vice versa?

The documentation doesn't list that scenario:
http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/Home/en/in ... l?home.htm

"Real-time Remote Replication (RTRR) provides real-time or scheduled data replication and one-way and two-way data synchronization between two locations (such as local NAS and a remote NAS, local NAS and an FTP server, or local NAS and an external drive, or replication between two local folders.) "
Still no NAS model provided. You might not even be looking at the right manual for all we know.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

mantangsoo
New here

Post by mantangsoo »

I think we are looking at the TS-251

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”